“Worst Hotel Experience of My Life” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
NYC
“Worst Hotel Experience of My Life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

The worst. The Rudest. The Most Unprofessional hotel experience of my life.

I travel all the time for business. I has a package that was shipped to the hotel that THEY LOST. Okay, there are a million ways to handle this... Danielle the front desk manager was rude, unprofessional and quite frankly too young for her job. I asked to be upgraded from the motel attached to the hotel because of the inconvenience. She finally upgraded me after being extrmeley rude and asking me to pay $240 more.

Just so you know if you book on a travel site, you do not stay in the hotel but rather a MOTEL in the parking lot. Buyer beware. The motel is no better than a Motel 8 (maybe a little nicer in the bedding dept)

I strongly recommend you looking elsewhere.

Again - Danielle is the worst hotel employee ever.

• Liked — Checking out.
  • Disliked — Rude, unproffesional staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
NEW YORK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

- Arrived at the airport ,called the hotel because they offer FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE TO and FROM the hotel.
- Reception desk staff had a little attitude, but other staff members helpful. Room I stayed at, The Tower King Bed or Superior Tower Room, was Clean, definetly more spacious than average about 600 Sq. Feet with a sitting area. The bathroom is good, spacious,clean.
- I stayed from Feb 08 `07 - Feb 11 I'd checked out.
there's cabs everywhere, ask staff if you happen 2 B carless, short distances are about $5 -$7. longer distances range from $12 & up. room service is ok there's also a diner and a restaurant in the hotel.
The diner's pretty good
- Also inside the hotel there's an ATM and some stores.
- I had a pleasant stay, no problems at all. I'd traveled a lot this past year and I can honestly say, out of all the hotels I'd stayed so far, Little America was 1 of The best.

• Liked — the size of the room, the cleaniness, the location, the diner
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Goodyear, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

We stayed at the Little America in SLC Jan. 11-14, 2008. We are 2 couples from Montana who were looking for a nice relaxing vacation. We enjoyed our stay. We both stayed in the Deluxe Garden Rooms....nice big king size bed, with a sitting area and large bathroom. The rooms were really nice and everything was very clean. The bathrooms were quite outdated, but still clean. Nice big oversized towels. :) The property itself is quite large. We loved the pool...very nice. And we tried the breakfast buffet-not the Sunday brunch, but it was still good. About $15 per person. Not a huge selection but good quality.

We mostly loved the location. Very close to shopping (Gateway) and restaurants. We ate at Buca di Beppo (yum), Red Rock Brewery and Cheesecake Factory (in Midvale). VERY convenient place to stay.

Overall, we enjoyed this hotel but did think the price was a bit high (average $120 per night) for the room. But I guess you are paying for the nice location. Only complaint....more like just something weird....was that housekeeping cleaned our room on Sunday in the morning, and in the afternoon when we were taking a nice nap there was a knock on the door...I woke up from my slumber and didn't make it to the door in time and they just came in! After only knocking once when they had already cleaned earlier! That was really weird. They should keep better track of that! Other than that, stay was pretty good.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Jordan, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

For the past 2 years, my wife's company Christmas Party has been at the Grand America. Wow, that's a nice place! If it's good enough for David Beckham & George Bush; it's good enough for you. Even Posh Spice would like it.

And last year, we spent the night there. One of my wife coworkers canceled at the last minute.

Well, if you don't have David Beckham's bank account, you can stay at the Little America for about 1/3rd the price, and it's almost the same thing.

We stayed in a Standard Courtside room. And it had lots of nice touches like a separate sink and vanity area. It needed a bathroom fan, and this is my personal opinion; but those combination bath and showers annoy me. But I understand that not everyone thinks that way. I have to imagine that the other more expensive rooms are even nicer. The beds were very comfy. The TV worked great. Check in and check out were very efficient, even though they seemed to be very busy.

Remember to ask for your coffee maker. The maid brought one within a couple of minutes of when I asked for it.

The workout room was very complete and the pool was nice. But, this being Utah, there were about 10 kazillion kids in it. But that's not the hotel's fault.

We did not eat there, because we had dinner at the Grand America. They wanted $27 for Sunday brunch, so we decided that we were still full from the night before.........

So in short, the Little America is a nice, but not perfect place.

And at a couple hundred less per night than the Grand America; your wallet will end up feeling like 5 stars.

• Liked — Great location in downtown SLC and it costs a whole lot less than it's hoity toit neighbor to the east.
  • Disliked — 10 bazillion kids in the pool, but what did I expect? It's Utah.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

I stayed at the Little America after booking with Hotwire for $85 plus fees. When we checked in we opted to upgrade to a tower room for $40 more. The room was very spacious and clean, it had a separate dressing area with vanity and sink. The bathroom was large and so was the tub ( I love that) with nice toiletries. The big downside was the decor, very grandma like. My room was done is blue and gold and seemed very 1980's elegant. The plasma TV seemed really out of place but much appreciated. we had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant ($13 weekdays) and it was very good although not a hug selection. The staff was very good from the porters to the waitstaff. Would I stay here again? Yes, but I would try to get a different room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — decor of rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oakland, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed at Little America SLC in late September in one of the 10th-floor tower rooms (we upgraded from the motel room).The room was huge with ornate Louis the XV style furniture and a mirrored bar. It looked nice in a dated, kitchy kind of way and had great views.

The low rating is due to the blood stains on our sheets; a cup full of old, wet cigarrette butts on the balcony; bad reception on the flat screen; other guests' second-hand smoke wafting from their balconies into our room (all tower rooms are technically non-smoking, so smokers use their balconies); and very weak air-conditioning (which we tried to use once we closed the windows to avoid the cigarette smoke). We checked-out very early in the morning and mentioned to the polite desk clerk that the room was pretty bad and he graciously apologized. Maybe it was just our room, but I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2007
Cambridge, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

My husband had a Conference in Salt Lake City and this was one of the two Hotels offering special rates to the conference attendees. We chose this one because it had an indoor pool and what sounded like a nice spa. This sounded good to me, I would have something to do while he worked all day.

As we got a special low rate we were not in the main building, we thought we would get a substandard room,I believe it was called "Garden View", second floor, there were only 2 floors in the building, but it did have an elevator, . To our great surprise our room was wonderful! The room was huge, the bathroom was huge with a double sink vanity. The room was beautifully furnished, not the same old boring hotel colors. The linens were very nice and they would change them at your request. Bathroom amenities and towels were high quality. The information provided told you that you could have a coffee pot in your room if you wanted one, a refrigerator was provided and a very nice wet bar/sink area. Free high speed internet, but you did need an ethernet cable, which we always carry. Newspapers were delivered every morning for free. The concierge was very helpful as were all of the staff. I loved the pool but I did pay the extra fee to use the SPA at the Grand American Hotel across the street, only because it offered more services.
Everything about the Little America was wonderful, the food in the Cafe was great and very inexpensive. I would recommened this Hotel to anyone visiting the area. Great Location also.

• Liked — Great Rooms, location, had everything you needed, friendly helpful staff, restaurant, amenities, shops, furnishings
  • Disliked — separate buildings, but it was not really a problem.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!