“Nice but a little outdated” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Orem, Utah
“Nice but a little outdated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

I stayed at the Little America after booking with Hotwire for $85 plus fees. When we checked in we opted to upgrade to a tower room for $40 more. The room was very spacious and clean, it had a separate dressing area with vanity and sink. The bathroom was large and so was the tub ( I love that) with nice toiletries. The big downside was the decor, very grandma like. My room was done is blue and gold and seemed very 1980's elegant. The plasma TV seemed really out of place but much appreciated. we had the breakfast buffet in the restaurant ($13 weekdays) and it was very good although not a hug selection. The staff was very good from the porters to the waitstaff. Would I stay here again? Yes, but I would try to get a different room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — decor of rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Oakland, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed at Little America SLC in late September in one of the 10th-floor tower rooms (we upgraded from the motel room).The room was huge with ornate Louis the XV style furniture and a mirrored bar. It looked nice in a dated, kitchy kind of way and had great views.

The low rating is due to the blood stains on our sheets; a cup full of old, wet cigarrette butts on the balcony; bad reception on the flat screen; other guests' second-hand smoke wafting from their balconies into our room (all tower rooms are technically non-smoking, so smokers use their balconies); and very weak air-conditioning (which we tried to use once we closed the windows to avoid the cigarette smoke). We checked-out very early in the morning and mentioned to the polite desk clerk that the room was pretty bad and he graciously apologized. Maybe it was just our room, but I would not recommend this hotel.

Cambridge, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

My husband had a Conference in Salt Lake City and this was one of the two Hotels offering special rates to the conference attendees. We chose this one because it had an indoor pool and what sounded like a nice spa. This sounded good to me, I would have something to do while he worked all day.

As we got a special low rate we were not in the main building, we thought we would get a substandard room,I believe it was called "Garden View", second floor, there were only 2 floors in the building, but it did have an elevator, . To our great surprise our room was wonderful! The room was huge, the bathroom was huge with a double sink vanity. The room was beautifully furnished, not the same old boring hotel colors. The linens were very nice and they would change them at your request. Bathroom amenities and towels were high quality. The information provided told you that you could have a coffee pot in your room if you wanted one, a refrigerator was provided and a very nice wet bar/sink area. Free high speed internet, but you did need an ethernet cable, which we always carry. Newspapers were delivered every morning for free. The concierge was very helpful as were all of the staff. I loved the pool but I did pay the extra fee to use the SPA at the Grand American Hotel across the street, only because it offered more services.
Everything about the Little America was wonderful, the food in the Cafe was great and very inexpensive. I would recommened this Hotel to anyone visiting the area. Great Location also.

• Liked — Great Rooms, location, had everything you needed, friendly helpful staff, restaurant, amenities, shops, furnishings
  • Disliked — separate buildings, but it was not really a problem.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auburn, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

As noted, the decor is a bit dated, but it's not shoddy or dirty. The rooms are maintained very well, everything worked and it was very clean. The people and the service are excellent here. Room service was particularly good.

We really enjoyed our 5 nights here and will be back here again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Provo, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

We went and stayed at the Little America for our Anniversay Night. We are going to Mazatlan in a couple of weeks, but wanted a quick little get away. I was very surpised with the Little America. We stayed in the Tower. The decorations are dated, but everything was very clean. The room was huge and so was the bathroom. They even had a little vanity outside the bathroom to get ready. You can't beat the location. It is right by the TRAX and withing walking distance of several good restaurants and things to do. If you go, you have to eat at the Melting Pot. It is a fondue restaurant and is amazing. Make sure you have reservations or know that you will probably have to wait a couple of hours and then it takes a couple of hours to eat. Back to the Little America- we had their Sunday Brunch which was great. The ambiance is just perfect as well as the food. They have everything you can imagine plus some.
You can't beat the price for what you get at the Little America.

Southside, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

I really could not believe that this was the same hotel shown on their website. It really reminded me of a motel 6, The rooms are arranged in buildings that look like military barracks. They are tiny and the bathroom is so small that you almost have to back in to use the facilities. My no smoking room reeked of smoke and was beside the street with a barking dog in a room in my building. Sleep is impossible since the road noise is constant and loud and the blinds are wraped and will not close properly. There are drapes but if you close them they block off the air conditional vent. There is no in room internet service at all and no work area. The mattress and pillows are out of the dark ages.The cafe was an experience. I sent my food back but it came back worst the second time. How hard is it to scramble eggs with out burning them? The front desk was no help at all. I had prepaid and when I saw my room I requested a refund and wanted to go elsewhere. They refused the refund and they would not move me to another room. In 30 years of business travel I have NEVER been more disappointed by a hotel. This hotel is grossly misrepresented by the hotel's website and by Orbitz. I can make no sense of the positive reveiws that this dump has gotten. The only postive things I can say are that it has a great location, free parking, and the muffins were good in the cafe even if the eggs were burnt.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

Stayed 2 nights we were in the cheapest room, courtside queen,with tax, 100 a night, The room was very clean, there was a slight odor like a musty rug smell, but not bad.
I would definately choose this option again, Excellent location, felt safe. Ask for a room that opens to the parking lot. The courtside rooms can open to the street or a corridor that is open
all night which could be unsafe, or the parking lot, that is more of a swimming pool, fountain, garden parking lot.
We were treated royally and had use of the excellent restaurants,
5 star lobby and inside shops. I researched all the hotels in
this area, and this IS the best all around. Feel safe, save money,
and ask for a courtside queen that is ground level facing either
the pool or the fountain, you won't be disappointed!!!!

Stayed September 2007

Been to Little America Hotel? Share your experiences!