“Marriott letdown” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Marriott letdown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is the first time I have had service issues at a Marriott Hotel. Upon check in and check out no one was at the front desk. I had to wait several minutes for someone to come out and help me

At around midnight I had people outside my room door who were hanging out and very loud. I called the front desk repeatably but the phone just rang and rang. I finally approached the people in the hall myself and asked if they could please quite down or move to the lobby, They were gracious and moved on.

It just seemed like the front desk was MIA. Very unusual for a Marriott property.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

the rooms are clean ,wifi is good . it needs a better coffee shop than out sourcing to starbucks .nearest restaurant for breakfast is a couple of blocks away,in winter it is inconvenient to walk a couple of blocks

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the front area
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2015

I travel a lot on business and have stayed at this location twice in the past two years. Both times on different parts of the hotel I've had a solid "Courtyard" experience. The issue with this hotel is the traffic noise. The rooms are not insulated enough given it's location right on a major downtown thoroughfare. It's just flat noisy - even with the fan turned up. The location is hard to beat for the price though - so there is the trade-off. It's in walking distance of the major attractions and all the above par restaurants. Squatters is literally just around the corner - great local brews and bar food. If you had to choose comfort and a being even a bit closer to city center - I'd choose the full service Marriott every time now I think. It's worth the good nights sleep. Bonus tip - rent a car and head out to Park City if it's ski season. It's only 35 or so miles and you can be parked, get your gear and skiing in no time. I've not seen a resort that was so easy to do that especially when you can do most of the reservation work in advance.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay at this hotel I would think staying as far back in the parking lot and away...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Andres N, Owner at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your review of our Property! I am so glad that you enjoyed stay, and we look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.
Moab, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

I was trying to sleep and this club outside my window was way too loud i had to work in the morning What were they thinking putting a club in such a bad spot somebody should talk with there local zoning people.

Room Tip: East side rooms are best the ones that face the club are terrible.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, February 20, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Courtyard Salt Lake City Downtown with us.

I would like to take this time to apologize for the noise disturbance caused by outside noise. Rest assured, we are taking steps to help ensure problems of this nature do not occur in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2014

Let's start by reminding all that this hotel is a franchise of the Marriott brand. That means it adheres to certain guidelines for the brand but is not in fact directly managed by Marriott International. The staff was pleasant upon arrival, a little unsure of themselves but pleasant nonetheless. It would be wise to request a 3rd floor room with an eastern view. As a previous review stated there is a club that sits next to the hotel and entertains well into the next morning. A 3rd floor room is ideal because when staying on the other two levels it sounds like Clydesdales having a go at it above you. The rooms are in decent shape but seem to have a unique odor to them. It feels as though smoking was allowed years ago in some of the rooms.

Now to the lack of customer service. While doing my laundry I noticed that one of the dryers was not functioning properly, i.e., my clothes were still wet. I spoke with the front desk associate at the time and he mumbled a bit and was only able to discover that maintenance had left for the day. I asked him if he had an ATM so I could acquire more change. He informed me there wasn't one and directed me to a nearby sports bar that was not open yet for the evening. I asked if there was any way he could give a dollar in quarters and charge my room for it. He, again mumbled and said that there is no way to get cash back. As I left he suggested I check back in the morning. I walked to a nearby gas station, received change and completed my laundry. I bring this up because this associate did not represent the Marriott brand as I have come to love. He made no attempt to go above and beyond to resolve an issue for one of his guests. I will not being returning.

Room Tip: Third floor on the east side.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, December 25, 2014
My name is Andrew Naranjo, Operations Manager at the Courtyard Downtown. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We apologize for not meeting your, and our own, expectation. It is our intent to provide the best service for all of our guests and I am extremely sorry we were unable to do so. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate departments to further improve and prevent similar experiences in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014

The moose lodge dance club is next to this hotel and the music is playing way too loud until 2am to virtually guarantee you will not get a good night's sleep if you're facing the west side which is half the hotel. I don't understand why Marriott puts
up with it. Love Marriott, but will definitely not be back to this location.

• Stayed December 2014
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, December 23, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Courtyard Salt Lake City. We appreciate your feedback, your concerns are important to us. I want to apologize the incovenince you experince during your last stay. We take matters such as this very seriously. As a result, please allow us some time to look into this matter.
Norwalk, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

Rooms were really nice and clean. Furniture was cheap laminate stuff but very nice almost new. I received a govt/mil discount which made it even nicer. Walking distance to good bars, pubs, and restaurants. This is a good place to go to on TDY.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review of our Property! I am so glad that you enjoyed stay, and we look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown? Share your experiences!