“If you've no other option ...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #59 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City, Utah
“If you've no other option ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Let's start by reminding all that this hotel is a franchise of the Marriott brand. That means it adheres to certain guidelines for the brand but is not in fact directly managed by Marriott International. The staff was pleasant upon arrival, a little unsure of themselves but pleasant nonetheless. It would be wise to request a 3rd floor room with an eastern view. As a previous review stated there is a club that sits next to the hotel and entertains well into the next morning. A 3rd floor room is ideal because when staying on the other two levels it sounds like Clydesdales having a go at it above you. The rooms are in decent shape but seem to have a unique odor to them. It feels as though smoking was allowed years ago in some of the rooms.

Now to the lack of customer service. While doing my laundry I noticed that one of the dryers was not functioning properly, i.e., my clothes were still wet. I spoke with the front desk associate at the time and he mumbled a bit and was only able to discover that maintenance had left for the day. I asked him if he had an ATM so I could acquire more change. He informed me there wasn't one and directed me to a nearby sports bar that was not open yet for the evening. I asked if there was any way he could give a dollar in quarters and charge my room for it. He, again mumbled and said that there is no way to get cash back. As I left he suggested I check back in the morning. I walked to a nearby gas station, received change and completed my laundry. I bring this up because this associate did not represent the Marriott brand as I have come to love. He made no attempt to go above and beyond to resolve an issue for one of his guests. I will not being returning.

Room Tip: Third floor on the east side.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, yesterday
My name is Andrew Naranjo, Operations Manager at the Courtyard Downtown. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We apologize for not meeting your, and our own, expectation. It is our intent to provide the best service for all of our guests and I am extremely sorry we were unable to do so. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate departments to further improve and prevent similar experiences in the future.

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

The moose lodge dance club is next to this hotel and the music is playing way too loud until 2am to virtually guarantee you will not get a good night's sleep if you're facing the west side which is half the hotel. I don't understand why Marriott puts
up with it. Love Marriott, but will definitely not be back to this location.

• Stayed December 2014
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Courtyard Salt Lake City. We appreciate your feedback, your concerns are important to us. I want to apologize the incovenince you experince during your last stay. We take matters such as this very seriously. As a result, please allow us some time to look into this matter.
Carson, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Rooms were really nice and clean. Furniture was cheap laminate stuff but very nice almost new. I received a govt/mil discount which made it even nicer. Walking distance to good bars, pubs, and restaurants. This is a good place to go to on TDY.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review of our Property! I am so glad that you enjoyed stay, and we look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.
Redondo Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I arrived and was provided a room on the third floor (top floor) and when I went in I was attached by the rank smell of a heavy smoker. I was then moved to another room on the second floor which I was OK with until I tried to sleep. Noise from the hall was bad but I was in for a terrible surprise! The person in the room above me was up most of the night and was full awake at 5am. I HEARD EVERY STEP - It appears that all walking creaks and groans into the ceiling above me. I got NO SLEEP last night. I will not be back at this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor or nothing
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Courtyard Salt Lake City. We appreciate your feedback, your concerns are important to us. I want to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your last stay. I'm glad i was able to speak to you this morning upon check out. We will be meeting with our hotel engineer this week to figure out a better solution for the room. Once a gain i want to thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Salt Lake City, Utah

Every door and such

Oh can't you see
every time you pee
Throws me wide awake
With every step you take.

Every single sneeze
Every time you wheeze
Or the bathroom fan
when you're on the can

I'm on the second floor
You're on the third;
Everything that you've said
ya know I've heard;
The floor's creakin', creakin', creakin', please....

Every single night,
Every single fight,
Every time she's fakes,
Every wind you break,

===

OK, enough with the parody lyrics. The staff is very nice, the Bistro is up to snuff and service was great. But I was on the second floor. Every time I walked in the room I heard it creaking and I know the poor soul on the first floor heard it as well. Whoever was above my room on the third floor woke me up every time he/she got up during the night. It was not a "sweet sleeper" event.

The King Bed was thankfully very firm (the way I like 'em) and not at all sagging. It would have been a great night, 'cept for the paper thin floors.

Location is great, close to downtown.

As for the "Hotel Style" question below... Not sure if I would call it quaint, charming or classic. It is a Marriott Courtyard. A business traveler's hotel, with their modern "Bistro" style restaurant (processed, ready to re-heat comfort food a la Benigans, etc.)

Would I stay there again? Eh, yeah, sure... but I would specify I wanted to be on the third (top) floor.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor. No, on second thought, ask for the first or second floor, so I'll be a...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2014
I want to thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is much appreciated. We will share your comments with all our staff and look for ways to better all our guest experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

Staff is well trained and very customer-focused. The rooms are spacious, very well appointed and well maintained. Parking was ample during my stay, and amenities are appropriate for the business traveler. Location is a little bit edgy, which is the only reason I did not give five points.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andres N, Owner at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, November 12, 2014

Andrew Naranjo
Operations Manager
Courtyard Downtown Salt Lake City- 130 West 400 South
South Park Township, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

I have been at better Courtyards. This was disappointing experience. Room was not made up after first day. Had to kill large water bug in bathroom. Fitness room was small and had limited equipment. Mattress cover came off during sleep.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2014
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this issue is corrected and won’t happen again. We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown? Share your experiences!