“Dont stay on any floor other then third if you want to sleep” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #60 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Redondo Beach, California
“Dont stay on any floor other then third if you want to sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I arrived and was provided a room on the third floor (top floor) and when I went in I was attached by the rank smell of a heavy smoker. I was then moved to another room on the second floor which I was OK with until I tried to sleep. Noise from the hall was bad but I was in for a terrible surprise! The person in the room above me was up most of the night and was full awake at 5am. I HEARD EVERY STEP - It appears that all walking creaks and groans into the ceiling above me. I got NO SLEEP last night. I will not be back at this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor or nothing
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Courtyard Salt Lake City. We appreciate your feedback, your concerns are important to us. I want to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your last stay. I'm glad i was able to speak to you this morning upon check out. We will be meeting with our hotel engineer this week to figure out a better solution for the room. Once a gain i want to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Salt Lake City, Utah

Every door and such

Oh can't you see
every time you pee
Throws me wide awake
With every step you take.

Every single sneeze
Every time you wheeze
Or the bathroom fan
when you're on the can

I'm on the second floor
You're on the third;
Everything that you've said
ya know I've heard;
The floor's creakin', creakin', creakin', please....

Every single night,
Every single fight,
Every time she's fakes,
Every wind you break,

===

OK, enough with the parody lyrics. The staff is very nice, the Bistro is up to snuff and service was great. But I was on the second floor. Every time I walked in the room I heard it creaking and I know the poor soul on the first floor heard it as well. Whoever was above my room on the third floor woke me up every time he/she got up during the night. It was not a "sweet sleeper" event.

The King Bed was thankfully very firm (the way I like 'em) and not at all sagging. It would have been a great night, 'cept for the paper thin floors.

Location is great, close to downtown.

As for the "Hotel Style" question below... Not sure if I would call it quaint, charming or classic. It is a Marriott Courtyard. A business traveler's hotel, with their modern "Bistro" style restaurant (processed, ready to re-heat comfort food a la Benigans, etc.)

Would I stay there again? Eh, yeah, sure... but I would specify I wanted to be on the third (top) floor.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor. No, on second thought, ask for the first or second floor, so I'll be a...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2014
I want to thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is much appreciated. We will share your comments with all our staff and look for ways to better all our guest experience. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

Staff is well trained and very customer-focused. The rooms are spacious, very well appointed and well maintained. Parking was ample during my stay, and amenities are appropriate for the business traveler. Location is a little bit edgy, which is the only reason I did not give five points.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andres N, Owner at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of our Property! I am so glad that you enjoyed stay, and we look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.

Andrew Naranjo
Operations Manager
Courtyard Downtown Salt Lake City- 130 West 400 South
South Park Township, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

I have been at better Courtyards. This was disappointing experience. Room was not made up after first day. Had to kill large water bug in bathroom. Fitness room was small and had limited equipment. Mattress cover came off during sleep.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2014
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this issue is corrected and won’t happen again. We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

Excellent customer service, clean rooms, and great food are a hallmark of the Marriott brand. The Courtyard property in downtown Salt Lake City is consistent with a standard of quality I have found at other Marriott properties around the world.

It is unfortunate the Salt Lake City downtown Courtyard property is adjacent to a sports bar or dance club that plays very loud music into the early morning hours. The music is not the issue, its the volume. When the music can be heard (and felt) across the road, it is too loud. It not only disturbs the peace, it destroys any chance of trying to sleep. It may sound odd, but that is my expectation when I check into a hotel and pay higher than average prices for a nice quiet room.

I highly recommend the Marriott brand when traveling for business or pleasure, but not this particular property. Sorry Marriott, but the noise next door is a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott Hotel on State Street or West Temple.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Andres N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
I want to thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is much appreciated. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. I do understand that you had some inconvenience with noise around our hotel. We are currently working on a solutions to better our room amenities. Reviews like this help us to improve our level of service. Thank you once again for your review.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown? Share your experiences!