“Don't Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was on business in Salt Lake in late May and stayed at Courtyard in Downtown SLC. When I received my express check-out bill early on the morning I left Salt Lake, I assumed it was correct. The hotel had made a $100 mistake in their favor and charged the additional amount to my credit card without notifying me. I discovered the additional charge a month later when I received my credit card statement. I had already billed my customer, so there was no way I could recoup the additional expense.

I contacted Marriott Customer Care and they passed the information on the the hotel management. The hotel management refused to admit that they had made any mistake (even though I emailed a copy of the incorrect bill) and refused to make any restitution.

I have been a loyal Marriott customer for 19 years and my business spends between $35,000-$40,000 per year on hotel stays for business travel. I have now changed all my hotel business to other hotel chains and will not at stay at any Marriott property in the foreseeable future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This must be one of the original footprints of the Courtyard brand. Small rooms but everything worked with the exception of the weak WiFi which I could never get a strong enough signal in my room. Comfortable, clean with ample supplies. Cold rooms for the heat wave! Accommodating staff. Business center had paper and supplies with support of the front desk as needed. I really have no complaints but after coming from another Courtyard in Washington state which was EXCELLENT, SLC was a bit of a "disappointment" or a downer experience. Nothing I can really hang my hat on. Location is great to the convention center; lots of great food places nearby.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Rooms and overall structure of the building are dated. However, the lobby looks new and modern. It is past midnight and I can hear dance music thumping. I am unsure where this is coming from. I have been to Courtyard Marriott's in the past and this has been somewhat disappointing. No free shuttle service is offered. Other hotels like the Sheraton offer free shuttle service to and from the airport. The only good thing is the free internet which is a rarity in most hotels in downtown Salt Lake City.

Manningtree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Did what it says on the tin! Comfortable, quiet, within easy walking reach of the centre of town, and even closer to a great brew pub! Staff helpful and unobtrusive. Enjoyed breakfast but, being relatively new to the US, were surprised that we were served with food we didn't think we asked for!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed for 5 days at this hotel on the first floor. It was located at the end of the hall away from any noise. I was very surprised to hear the neighbors TV's on both sides of my room and all the squeaking of the occupants of the second floor above my room. I could hear it all save for my trusty ear plugs. The lobby and pool/jacuzzi were nicely appointed. There was no gluten free choices in food but there are plenty of restaurants near by that can accommodate.
The personnel were very accomodating, friendly, and professional. The airport shuttle was on time.

Room Tip: Perhaps the top floor would be more quiet...at least there would be no squeaky floor above you to de...
Parker, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is a great location for business travle to Salt Lake. Near the freeway, but quiet, and lots of walkable restaurant options. Not much else to say, except that the experience was everything I have come to expect and appreciate form a Marriott. You won't go wrong here.

Room Tip: Towards the back, away from 400 South.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I can always count on a good night's rest when staying at Courtyards, but not this time. The walls/ceilings are apparently thin, because there was a lot of sound coming from all sides. The location is fantastic, but since it's close to so many restaurants and bars, there gets to be another round of noise coming from outside around last call. The lobby area is very modern, but the rooms no so much. The rate I got made the minor setbacks acceptable. I would probably stay elsewhere next time, unless the rate is too good to pass up.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown? Share your experiences!