“Warning - but you be the judge” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown

You added Residence Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   285 West Broadway, (300 South), Salt Lake City, UT 84101   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #35 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Los Angeles
“Warning - but you be the judge”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Word of warning - do not stay in this hotel. The two times I have stayed at this hotel, the rooms have been less than tidy and I have had items taken from my room. The first time in Aug of 08, I had a 6 pack of water bottles taken from my room – when I requested that they be replaced; management asked me to “prove it” ???

The second time I stayed here in November of 08, I walked into a room, which still had excrement in the toilet bowl. I called the front desk, and was told, “Just flush the toilet-but we will send some one in the morning.”

Perhaps, I am OCD, but I asked to be check out of the hotel and refunded my room rate – neither request was granted. I have been in a dispute with the hotel since, but I can assure you that my money has not been refunded.

I understand that Marriott overall does a good job at their hotels and employees. However, The Residence Inn Salt Lake City – City Center is one of the worst ones I have stayed. It is a shame that a nice property is disparaged by the quality of their management.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Oak Forest, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

Prior to checking in at the Residence Inn, I had requested (on the hotel website) an early check-in and a room on a higher floor. We didn't get the room on a higher floor, but the room we did receive was well worth it. For some reason, we were upgraded to a two-bedroom suite with two bathrooms, kitchen (full-sized refrigerator/freezer), and a washer/dryer. This suite was nicely furnished, spotlessly clean, and quite large. The washer and dryer were a welcome convenience as we were moving on to Moab after two days and were able to wash clothes for the rest of the trip.

We did use the swimming pool, which although small, was quite sufficient for the amount of people who utilized the pool. It is practical for small children--the deepest part is 5 feet and it's in the middle of the pool. Each end of the pool starts at 3 feet and gradually deepens to the 5-foot middle. Towels are supplied at the pool, and when the supply ran low, it was promptly replenished. There are two fitness rooms, which appeared to be more than adequate. The breakfast buffet was reliable Residence Inn fare--hot eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles (make your own), cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc.--and was very tasty and more than any person would require.

The Residence Inn is located in the heart of downtown; there is quite a bit within walking distance, if you know which way to walk. The Gateway, an outdoor contemporary mall with lots of restaurants, is only a short stroll from the hotel, and Temple Square is a photo must. For outdoor enthusiasts, Salt Lake City has plenty of opportunities--for an easy walk/hike with a view of the city, visit Ensign Peak (I hear sunset is the prime time to go) and if you don't mind driving 40 miles, you must visit Timpanogos Cave (but get your tickets ahead of time--it gets very crowded. You can even call and reserve your tickets over the phone.).

Residence Inns have proven to be reliable hotels for us; this particular one met and exceeded our expectations. If you don't need the "spa experience" and would like a clean, sensible, and roomy place to stay, choose the Residence Inn Salt Lake City/City Center.

• Liked — Spaciousness of the rooms, cleanliness, efficiency of staff, value
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

I stayed here recently. Great location. Room spotless. You get your own apartment. 2 TVs. Etc. Breakfast was home cooked eggs, sausage and the like. Great for families since you get an apartment. Staff was helpful. Free internet.

• Stayed June 2008
orange county, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed here for a night to catch the Lakers-Jazz playoffs game. The hotel is in a very convenient location and we were able to walk to the Jazz arena for the game. There is a really nice deli across the street called Caputo's and they have really yummy sandwiches. The breakfast at Residence Inn is standard of other Residence Inns. The front desk was friendly.

Stayed May 2008
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

Great hotel. Perfect location. Well maintained. And such a pleasant friendly and kind staff...from the front desk to the breakfast attendants to the housekeepers. A great place to stay!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

We stayed here for a ski trip in the Cottonwood Canyon area and it was great. We were 1/2 hour from Brighton, which was where we went skiing and riding for a few days. The set up was exactly what we needed for a trip with two dads and two boys, especially having the extra bathroom and 3 TVs. (We had a 2BR/2BA suite.) And the free breakfast spread was huge and perfect for our needs. Though I was told the location would be somewhat "iffy" I didn't find it objectionable at all. In fact, I was very pleased by the clear evidence of revitalization/gentrification in the area, and we liked being close to so many family-friendly restaurant choices and to the shopping and IMAX theater that were just a few blocks away at the Gateway Center. The hotel itself was very clean, comfortable and well kept, and the staff was pleasant and helpful all around. I highly recommend this hotel for a family vacation to SLC or to the surrounding ski areas.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, well located and a great value.
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paso Robles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Our family of adults and teens recently stayed four nights at the Residence Inn. We were very pleased with the spacious accomodation, which was actually a one-bedroom apartment, with balcony. Our room, together with the comfortable lobby and landscaped grounds, gave us the room we needed to relax. We never felt crowded. Our 'room' included a kitchen, stocked with cookware, full-size refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, and cooking utensils.
The hotel is within walking distance of the downtown event centers, tourist destinations, and the very nice "Gateway' shopping/restaurant complex. Some of the best restaurants in town are located within a three-block radius. We ate our most memorable meals (several, actually) at a great Italian deli located immediately across the street from the hotel.
The hotel offers free parking and easy access to major streets and highways. The airport is a quick 7 minute drive from the hotel.
Staff members were very friendly, and helped our family to feel at home. The first night of our stay, the manager provided a complimentary BarBQ to all guests. A full breakfast is served every morning.
In summary, the hotel offers what families need, a home-away-from-home. Don't expect a doorman or the availability of spa treatments, but do expect that the hotel will work hard to provide for the needs of its guests, especially travelers and families.
I look forward to our next visit.

• Liked — space to spread out. Home-away-from-home. Easy access to everything.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn Salt Lake City - Downtown? Share your experiences!