I stayed here two years ago when it was Candlewood, and for the price, the location and facilities (ie kitchen!) can't be beat. Was here for almost 2 weeks in Jan-Feb 2013, and for $65/night (plus an assortment of taxes) a kitchen plus a separate bedroom was very pleasant. It's looking a bit old, and they plan a refurbishment later this year, and I hope that won't bump the prices up too much. Everything worked, mostly, although one of my hotplate elements had jumped out of its socket and didn't seem to fit the tin guard under it.
I see the heaters are still annoying, even if you turn it off, it blows air every so-often which is annoying when you're just drifting off to sleep, however last time a staff member showed me the secret to turning it off completely (pull out the fake plinth underneath and pull out the power plug).
they have also instituted daily room servicing, a change from last time. I had to ask that they stop spraying perfume through my room as I'm sensitive to the chemicals, and they were very responsive to that. It's nice to be able to open windows, too, although the SLC winter air is not exactly fresh!
The wireless internet was good, the location is perfect for skiing and shopping... the walls and ceiling/floors let through a lot of noise which is not something they can easily fix, but if you have people above you, you sure know about it (perhaps the circus was in town and they were putting up the elephants?).
The laundry still had the same assortment of machines in various stages of working or not working, but I could always get a washing machine and dryer when needed, and you didn't have to put money in. Gym seemed to work fine too. I have problems with saggy beds in hotels and one side of my bed was a bit collapsed, but the side less-used was actually very nice indeed... whatever those mattresses are, I hope they get more like them.
What is really nice is the relaxed feeling you get from the staff. They're easy-going, ready to help with anything, but not in hyper-service mode, which is nice as they listen and come up with solutions.
I hope this place is still affordable for my next trip... hotel rooms with proper kitchens are hard to find in the US.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hawthorn Suites Salt Lake City Fort Union Hotel is an ideal choice for both business and leisure travelers. Each spacious suite has a fully equipped kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, microwave, range, and dishwasher. Bring your laptop and work efficiently at your executive desk. Communication is no problem with voicemail, free local calls, free WI-FI. Enjoy the brand new 32" flat screen HD TVs. Work off some stress in our Fitness Center. Staying a long time? Take advantage of our complimentary laundry facility. We are also a pet friendly hotel (fees apply). The Hawthorn Suites Salt Lake City Fort Union Hotel is centrally located in the Fort Union area bordering Midvale, Murray and Sandy, just off of I-215. We are only 12 miles from Downtown Salt Lake City and 20 minutes from the Salt Lake City International Airport. The Cottonwood Corporate Center and the Union Park Center are just minutes from our hotel. The University of Utah, St. Marks Hospital and IHC are also close by. Within walking distance you will find grocery shopping to stock your kitchen, not to mention several restaurants to choose from. We are the perfect choice whether you are here for business, to ski, or just to relax on vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Wyndham, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Salt Lake City - Fort Union Hotel Salt Lake City
- Candlewood Salt Lake City
- Salt Lake City Candlewood Suites
- Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union Utah