“Location and facilities plus price are Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union

You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6990 South Park Centre Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84107   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #33 of 74 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Canberra Australia
“Location and facilities plus price are Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here two years ago when it was Candlewood, and for the price, the location and facilities (ie kitchen!) can't be beat. Was here for almost 2 weeks in Jan-Feb 2013, and for $65/night (plus an assortment of taxes) a kitchen plus a separate bedroom was very pleasant. It's looking a bit old, and they plan a refurbishment later this year, and I hope that won't bump the prices up too much. Everything worked, mostly, although one of my hotplate elements had jumped out of its socket and didn't seem to fit the tin guard under it.

I see the heaters are still annoying, even if you turn it off, it blows air every so-often which is annoying when you're just drifting off to sleep, however last time a staff member showed me the secret to turning it off completely (pull out the fake plinth underneath and pull out the power plug).

they have also instituted daily room servicing, a change from last time. I had to ask that they stop spraying perfume through my room as I'm sensitive to the chemicals, and they were very responsive to that. It's nice to be able to open windows, too, although the SLC winter air is not exactly fresh!

The wireless internet was good, the location is perfect for skiing and shopping... the walls and ceiling/floors let through a lot of noise which is not something they can easily fix, but if you have people above you, you sure know about it (perhaps the circus was in town and they were putting up the elephants?).

The laundry still had the same assortment of machines in various stages of working or not working, but I could always get a washing machine and dryer when needed, and you didn't have to put money in. Gym seemed to work fine too. I have problems with saggy beds in hotels and one side of my bed was a bit collapsed, but the side less-used was actually very nice indeed... whatever those mattresses are, I hope they get more like them.

What is really nice is the relaxed feeling you get from the staff. They're easy-going, ready to help with anything, but not in hyper-service mode, which is nice as they listen and come up with solutions.

I hope this place is still affordable for my next trip... hotel rooms with proper kitchens are hard to find in the US.

Room Tip: There's BBQs outside one wing... be in that one if you want to use them!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
KenWilkes, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
We appreciate your thoughts on your recent stay and are so pleased to hear that you have come back to see up multiple times. We are proud of the value that our property represents- providing a clean, comfortable room for our guests at a amazing price is always our priority. Thank you for your continued business!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've stayed here for two weeks in February, three years in a row to ski. The location can't be beat. Good parking if you have car, but only a half block to the shuttles to take you to any of the slopes if you don't have a car. Many short order and casual dining places within easy walking distance. Good, clean, very adequate rooms with a free laundry facility. Wi-Fi is slow. Kitchenette appliances and tableware in the suites are pretty low-end. Room heat / AC works fine, but on the noisy side. Hallways are clean, quiet, and well lit. Seems like a very safe environment. The staff has always been helpful and readily available. I plan to come back next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! We have the BEST location in Salt Lake, as we are within a half hour of the airport, most of the SLC ski resorts, shopping, temple square, etc. We also have a lot of restaurants and food options within walking distance. We look forward to seeing you next year!
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My Apple ipad tablet computer (Value with accessories $548) was stolen from our room at Hawthorne Suites Hotel, Salt Lake City - Fort Union. I discovered that it was missing when I returned to the room after a day skiing with my family. The device was removed from the bottom dresser drawer where it had been concealed together with a stylus beneath clothing. I reported the loss to the front desk and was referred to the Manager who contacted me. I also reported the incident to the local Police Department . I am waiting for a response from Hawthorne Suites about compensation for the loss of the ipad and the potential threat to our security and privacy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

KenWilkes, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. As mentioned to you during our conversation, we take the safety and security of our guests and staff extremely seriously, and we are in the process of working on a solution for this issue. We have the utmost confidence in our team and want you to know this is not an issue we take lightly or face on a consistent basis. Service is our passion, and we will do everything in our power to make this situation right with you.
Se Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Well, this is Utah, however I was quite surprised that the only coffee offered in the room was decaffeinated. Really? I was told that the hotel was "out" of regualr coffee, however it took three days for real coffee to appear in the room. Really? Also, at night the Internet connection was dial-up slow. I had to leave and check into a different hotel because of this, however it was the lack of coffee that I will remember about this hotel when I pass it by to stay at another next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

KenWilkes, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the internet and coffee issues- these are not issues we find normally at our hotel- and hope that you will think of us again the next time you come through Salt Lake. We pride ourselves in doing everything we can to meet and exceed our guests needs, and we apologize for missing the mark.

Thanks you for your business. Please reach out to us when you come through again so we can make sure you enjoy our hotel and your time in Salt Lake City!

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Salt Lake City-Fort Union? Share your experiences!