“Always dependeable!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 76 hotels in Salt Lake City
Boise, Idaho
“Always dependeable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is the sixth time we've stayed at this Fairfield Inn. We originally chose this location because of its proximity to where we were visiting. We've come back each year because we know what we are going to get -- great service, a clean room, a fair price, and outstanding personnel. For instance, we were going to be there for 3 days, but I mistakenly only put 2 days on the reservation. When we found this out (on the scheduled departure date), I went to the front desk, where I was greeted with, "That's not a problem; let's get you set for one more night and re-do your keys." It is right off I-15; there are restaurants close by, and it's an easy short trip into downtown Salt Lake City. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Ask for 2 Queen beds instead of 1 King; the 2 Queen bed room is about 3 feet longer!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel was clean, quiet, modern and everything we've come to expect from Marriott. Awesome bed! My only reason to not give it an excellent rating is due to the location. It is central Salt Lake valley and near I-15 however, It's not near any shopping nor restaurants. Walking/running outside is not convenient or advised. Other than that it's a wonderful hotel and we would visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Clinton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

What a great reception and service from Winston the young man at the desk. We were traveling across country and he was so positive in his warm business like manner. He was efficient, went out of his way to accommodate us, and gave us information that made our stay one of the most enjoyable of all the places we went while traveling across country.
THANKS for a great stay because of Winston.
The remodeled motel lived up to its advertisement. I was also pleased with the breakfasts. I would stay there again. We also enjoyed the pool.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Santa Clara, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Conveniently located off freeway. Not a very large hotel. Needed handicap parking but when they closed all four off at once for repainting, it was an inconvenience. My husband and I used our rewards points for our room for the two nights we stayed there, but our adult son needed his own separate room and I was shocked at the cost; even after somewhat of a discount the room still cost $150/night, and the room was just an ordinary room. The breakfasts were okay.
But here's the real kicker for me. Upon arriving in our room the first afternoon, the toilet was plugged so I called the front desk for housekeeping. They informed me that maintenance was already gone. That's it.....that's all the help they were... and then I asked what was I supposed to do? When I didn't get a response, I said to just bring a plunger and I would do it myself. A few minutes later housekeeping knocked on the door and when I opened it, I had a plunger thrust in my face. At least it was stuffed in a plastic bag!!!! Anyway, I took the plunger and proceeded to unplug the toilet myself, all the while thinking I could hardly believe this service. Just a side note here too -- that plunger was a very well used, very cheap plunger so that every time I pushed down on it in the toilet, the rubber part would flip inside out and I would have to fix that before plunging again. I WAS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!
Upon checking out and they asked how we enjoyed our stay, I proceeded to tell them how unhappy we were about the toilet situation and what happened. The manager apologized profusely and said that was not their standard procedure. For our trouble she did offer a complimentary bottle of water to take with us as we left.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rantoul, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed just over 2 months, and could not have asked for a better experience. The staff is first rate and in particular Brittney, the Front Desk associate, treats everyone like she knows them personally. The hotel has a good location, with most businesses and restaurants a short drive away. I am coming back in May, and I will definitely be staying here!

Room Tip: Try getting a room on the first floor toward the ends of the hallway. It's a bit quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This property was recently renovated, with some good and some bad changes. One thing that couldn't change was the location, which I find pretty convenient to most parts of the city. It is a little noisy if you are on the south side, but really not too bad

The Good: The best thing about the new rooms was the amount, and placement of the electrical outlets. It is obvious that someone took the time to think through the number of gadgets all business travelers have, and how they are used. Good for you Fairfield. Overall the appointments were very nice. The colors were well done and the rooms felt more homey. The work area is functional, and I really like the roll out desktop. You can move it to any part of the room to work. The desk chair is comfortable for long periods of time.

The Bad: The heating units should have been replaced. I know that this was probably not cost effective, but these old units require the fan to be on at all times. Even on low, the fan is very loud, and it never turns off. They are the reason that I will choose another property in SLC in the future.

This is a ticky tacky thing, but there was only one wastebasket in the entire room, including the bath. Really?

I was hoping that property would upgrade their towels, but unfortunately, no. The towels are paper thin. A long time ago I learned that more often than not, saving a penny costs you two. I used, and had washed at least double the number of towels that I would use in other properties. Which means washing twice as many towels (cha ching) and not to mention that because the towels are washed more often, they wear out much more quickly. Cha Ching, Cha Ching. Ridiculous. Spend more money on quality towels. It will cost you less in the long run.

The breakfast is still substandard for like quality properties (Hampton Inn, etc), although the breakfast sandwiches are pretty good. You do need more condiments, however, as they do lack any level of spice, so need some help.

The worst part, however, is the upright casual chair. Photo attached. After a long day of sales calls, conference calls are returning emails, I like to sit and watch the tube, or read in a comfortable chair. This chair could not be less conducive to relaxation. No recliner. Straight up and down. I am sure the chair is made of quality materials, but it is plain uncomfortable. I resorted to sitting in the office chair to eat my dinner and watch TV. Bad, bad, bad.

Room Tip: stay towards the north end, which is away from 4500 south
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mackenzie W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Salt Lake City South, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your review and the honest feedback as we can't improve without comments from guests like you. I'm happy to hear that you are pleased with our renovation, it was a big undertaking but well worth it for our guests to be able to enjoy the finished product. I have taken your concerns seriously and my staff and I are currently working on solutions. I am happy to report progress has already been made. The trash cans have been ordered. A new and improved breakfast is being rolled out at all Fairfield Inns in the coming weeks and we are reviewing our towel options. We understand your concern with the fan in your room and we plan to work with the manufacturer to find an acceptable solution.

Again, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we hope you will consider us in your future travel plans.
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Fairfield Inn at 594 West 4500 South as part of a business trip. While the property is just off the interstate and appears to be situated in a light commercial zone, the location is relatively convenient to the downtown area and several local shopping areas. Salt Lake City is not hard to navigate and you can get pretty much anywhere you need to be in about 25 minutes. Recent renovations at the hotel resulted in a modern, clean lobby and rooms that appear more expensive than the booking rate. A large seating area, desk, and mini fridge with microwave are great amenities when you have to spend hours in your room working. The Internet connection was reliable and fast. Room noise, even with a room facing the main road, was never an issue. I was concerned about the flood light outside my window, but the drapes and position of the bed in the room prevented the need for sunglasses at night.

Why not 5 stars instead of 4? The first night, the TV in the work area was out of service due to an issue with the Comcast connection. Also, the towels were paper thin. I could have just gotten a bad rotation, but it's time to upgrade those, too.

Room Tip: Not a big hotel, so there shouldn't be an issue with any particular room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn Salt Lake City South? Share your experiences!