“Noisy, but otherwise comfortable” 3 of 5 stars

The Pavilion Inn
440 West 5300 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84123   |
Ranked #49 of 75 hotels in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Noisy, but otherwise comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for three nights. The walls and windows provide virtually no barrier to sound. You hear All the outside noise and all the inside noise in the rooms around you and hallway. Other than that, The bed was pretty comfortable, there was a mini fridge and microwave in the room which comes in handy for longer stays. There are no coffee makers in the rooms, but there is coffee available in the lobby 24 hrs. From a vegan perspective, the breakfast was eh. But compared to most, it's a step or two up from average. They have hot food like eggs and bacon for those who do eat that sorta stuff, and they have waffles. The front desk service was more or less average. No one was rude, but no one was super friendly either. The price was a good deal for what I got.

Room Tip: Get a room in the NW corner of the top floor to avoid outside noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in this hotel at the beginning and at the end of our Utah vacation. While not the youngest of the rest, it was very clean and comfortable. Rooms, that we had, were spacious, clean and quiet (3rd floor). There was a mini fridge,a microwave, coffee maker (not needed, as there is always tea, coffee and some cookies at the reception). The indoor pool and the hot tub was quite useful after a day of sightseeing. The best part was the full breakfast, very basic, but tasty. I appreciated the fact of there being a sugarless juice and green apples, besides red apples and bananas. The service was excellent in general and reception employees were very accommodating. A car is a must in it's very convenient location; it's next to freeway #15, and close to the airport. If you turn left at the hotel and go under the bridge, after a few blocks (when you see Costco on the left) turn left an you will be on State street. It' has 3 lanes each side, gets you to Temple Square and you see the Capitol on the hill. Fun drive. Lots of good restaurants around. Would definitely use it again.

Room Tip: My choice is the 3rd floor and further from the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Checking was slow but the room and the breakfast was very good based upon the star rating of the hotel. You need a car if you are stopping at this hotel as it is a distance from shopping centres etc.you should try and get a top floor which would be quieter as well stay away from the lift.

Room Tip: Keep away from lift and possibly try and get top floor so that you avoid hearing people walking arou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Nice clean and comfortable hotel. good shuttle service to nearby Intermountain hospital. I recently stayed 11 days and found that the staff was very helpful. Rooms are nice size and kept clean. I would recommend this hotel. Good choices on the breakfast. Nothing fancy, just good service and pleasant employee's. I would stay here again if in Salt Lake City. Good room rates.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

First, keep in mind that my ratings are relative to what I would expect for a hotel of this star level, in this price range. I knew I wasn't booking a 4 or 5 star hotel.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the room. It clean, large and there was microwave and mini-fridge.

Bathroom was fine- small vanity located outside the actual bathroom, and it was clean enough as well. I did have some issues with the shower the first night (slow draining water) but I figured out the next day that you just needed to push the shower button in hard and the issue was fixed.

The location is to find, but it's about 10-15 minutes from actual SLC. So that was kind of a bummer, as it felt like a long drive to get anywhere. The interstate system/highway system around SLC is my least favorite.

The breakfast was good, plenty to choose from- waffles, eggs, bacon, cereal, fruit, and pastries.
The hotel claimed to have 24-hour cookies, but we spotted several times when there were no cookies. The cookies we did have were good. Also- no coffee makers in the room. They offer 24-hr coffee downstairs instead.

The service was ok, I would consider it less-than-professional. Like another reviewer said, the employees were not exactly dressed professionally. And, there was usually a child behind the front desk, I'm guessing working with mom in lieu of a babysitter. Neither of these necessarily detracted from my experience, they're just observations.

The gym is tiny. Literally 3 pieces of cardio equipment and that's it. We didn't use the pool, but it looked like a standard hotel pool.

The hotel was good for the price. I would stay here again if the price was good, although I'd probably look to stay more centrally located in SLC if I could find something similarly priced.

I'm giving this hotel a 4, because of the value and the cleanliness, but in reality, I might be a little generous with my rating.

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I booked a room at the Pavilion Inn in Salt Lake City for a week. Upon my arrival, the front desk clerk could not find my reservation. I went to the car, provided my confirmation number and low and behold she found it. However, the morning of the 2nd day, there was a knock at my door telling me that I was late for check-out. I explained that I was there for 5 nights and they needed to recheck the reservation. After some confusion, they finally got it straight. The staff were friendly enough, but seemed confused and discombobulated. They wore a plain white T-Shirt with a improper fitting vest over it and truly gave a very poor first impression. The hotel itself is not in Salt Lake City. If you know anything about the city, this hotel is 53 blocks south of the city center in the city of Murray. If you're looking for something close to the airport or near the city center, keep looking. As for the room, it was a standard hotel room. Nothing special and certainly not anything that I will remember a week from now. The rubber backed drapes on the windows were ripped. The work station had two electrical sockets under the desk. Both were used for lights. My choice was to work in the dark or enjoy evening lighting and not work. On my first morning at the hotel I went to take a shower and when I pulled the shower curtain open, a wash cloth that had been used by the previous guest, fell from the top of the shower curtain rod onto the floor. Clearly a lack of attention to details. The rooms themselves were nice sized and an okay sized bathroom. The walls were solid white with no pictures, mirrors or décor of any form. The free breakfast was adequate but whoever set up the serving area really missed their mark. The plates, silverware, coffee, etc. on one side of the room and the powdered eggs, bacon and single waffle maker on the other side of the room. People walking back and forth between the two stations making the room a congested mess. The cold cereal containers were broken and no longer sealed properly so they wrapped plastic wrap around the top so the cereal would not get stale prior to use. The hotel was also lacking a soda vending machine. The signs led to a vending area, but only an ice maker was there. The vending machines had been removed due to cost? The indoor pool was nice sized and the workout room had enough equipment that multiple people could enjoy them at the same time. This could be a great hotel as it has a lot of character. I blame the management for allowing it to become the less then stellar property that it could be. Would I stay here again? I might, but not because I made an earnest effort to do so. Rather because I was looking for a good price for a week long stay and simply didn't remember staying here before. As I said in the beginning of this review, there was nothing that was really remarkable that would stick in my mind after a couple days. Just another middle class hotel that's been allowed to go down hill.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was slightly worried about this hotel based on reviews here but actually found it to be a nice clean hotel with large bedrooms and adequate bathrooms, staff where helpful, there was plenty of parking, free hot drinks to help yourself to and free breakfast, which we don't usually try but as we needed to leave early we had the breakfast on the second morning and it was pretty good. There is a free laundry with free washing powder, you need to ask for the key from the front desk. We had requested interconnecting rooms which we got, my only concern would be that our door did not shut properly, as we had two rooms we put the security latch across and went out of the second room. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Pavilion Inn? Share your experiences!