“Good value but not a great Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

The Pavilion Inn
440 West 5300 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84123   |
Ranked #54 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Atlanta
“Good value but not a great Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I booked a room at the Pavilion Inn in Salt Lake City for a week. Upon my arrival, the front desk clerk could not find my reservation. I went to the car, provided my confirmation number and low and behold she found it. However, the morning of the 2nd day, there was a knock at my door telling me that I was late for check-out. I explained that I was there for 5 nights and they needed to recheck the reservation. After some confusion, they finally got it straight. The staff were friendly enough, but seemed confused and discombobulated. They wore a plain white T-Shirt with a improper fitting vest over it and truly gave a very poor first impression. The hotel itself is not in Salt Lake City. If you know anything about the city, this hotel is 53 blocks south of the city center in the city of Murray. If you're looking for something close to the airport or near the city center, keep looking. As for the room, it was a standard hotel room. Nothing special and certainly not anything that I will remember a week from now. The rubber backed drapes on the windows were ripped. The work station had two electrical sockets under the desk. Both were used for lights. My choice was to work in the dark or enjoy evening lighting and not work. On my first morning at the hotel I went to take a shower and when I pulled the shower curtain open, a wash cloth that had been used by the previous guest, fell from the top of the shower curtain rod onto the floor. Clearly a lack of attention to details. The rooms themselves were nice sized and an okay sized bathroom. The walls were solid white with no pictures, mirrors or décor of any form. The free breakfast was adequate but whoever set up the serving area really missed their mark. The plates, silverware, coffee, etc. on one side of the room and the powdered eggs, bacon and single waffle maker on the other side of the room. People walking back and forth between the two stations making the room a congested mess. The cold cereal containers were broken and no longer sealed properly so they wrapped plastic wrap around the top so the cereal would not get stale prior to use. The hotel was also lacking a soda vending machine. The signs led to a vending area, but only an ice maker was there. The vending machines had been removed due to cost? The indoor pool was nice sized and the workout room had enough equipment that multiple people could enjoy them at the same time. This could be a great hotel as it has a lot of character. I blame the management for allowing it to become the less then stellar property that it could be. Would I stay here again? I might, but not because I made an earnest effort to do so. Rather because I was looking for a good price for a week long stay and simply didn't remember staying here before. As I said in the beginning of this review, there was nothing that was really remarkable that would stick in my mind after a couple days. Just another middle class hotel that's been allowed to go down hill.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was slightly worried about this hotel based on reviews here but actually found it to be a nice clean hotel with large bedrooms and adequate bathrooms, staff where helpful, there was plenty of parking, free hot drinks to help yourself to and free breakfast, which we don't usually try but as we needed to leave early we had the breakfast on the second morning and it was pretty good. There is a free laundry with free washing powder, you need to ask for the key from the front desk. We had requested interconnecting rooms which we got, my only concern would be that our door did not shut properly, as we had two rooms we put the security latch across and went out of the second room. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thornton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at The Pavilion Inn in late July for three days. The room was spacious enough, sparsely decorated, quiet. The bed is a mattress on a frame; very worn out. The sheets were clean but each night I found a long hair (I'm bald) on the sheets. There was a bed spread that was stained in several places - hotels worldwide should throw out all bed spreads! The shower head had one setting: narrow. The TV is a 24" model, I believe, mounted on the wall. It received 23 channels including one bad one and no channel guide.

Breakfast is served from 6-10, longer than most hotels. They offered 3 kinds of cold cereal, strangely thin bacon, a couple of canned fruits, "eggs", and a few other items.

It seems like The Pavilion Inn is trying to be a nice hotel but they're pinching pennies much too hard. I have stayed at better hotels for less money and will not return to The Pavilion Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Spent just one night here before picking friends up at the airport to go to Yellowstone. For the price we paid, this was more than adequate. Breakfast was good, beds comfortable, rooms clean. The only thing that was a bit strange - everything in the room was very low, even the toilet! Beds were platforms - low to the floor. The bar fridge was sitting on the floor, with a small microwave sitting on top - so low that I had to get on my knees to read the buttons on it! Not a serious problem - we actually had a good laugh about it! I guess if you have bad knees, you might want to avoid this one!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Prince George, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The staff was polite and helpful. The room was not quiet and heard every move the person upstairs made. The carpets are worn, the tile floors in the halls and lobby had several unrepaired holes. It is a nice building with potential however needs upgrading and sound proofing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stay in hotels very often, and there is no way that this hotel should be receiving a three star rating. We booked through hotwire, and we are contacting them today to request that they take this hotel off their list. I would give it a one and a half star rating at most. We were traveling with a baby and couldn't fit the crib in the room very easily. The room smelled like it had been smoked in and was not clean. The staff was not very helpful. The furniture looked like it was from the eighties. The lady that hosted the breakfast was rude. Honestly, we couldn't get out of there fast enough. We wouldn't have even stayed if we had not been so exhausted from our travels. We were highly disappointed and we will not stay with this chain again. I almost forgot to mention the noise level. At different points during the night it sounded like a jet was taking off in our bathroom???

Room Tip: Don't choose any room in this hotel. Very poor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at the Pavilion Inn for four nights so we could go skiing. The price was very reasonable and we booked it when we arrived at the SLC airport. We had a decent room, comfortable bed and clean bathroom. The view of the mountains from our room was breathtaking. The breakfast was good with a variety of food including the waffle machine and fresh fruit. Everything was good until the last night... The Pavilion Inn booked the room next to us with 2 large Adults and their 4 children approximately 2-10 yrs. old. The youngest cried the whole night and the rest of the family yelled at each other. I called the front desk at 11pm, 12am and 1am. They sent someone each time but things didn't quiet down until the baby stopped crying. My son and I didn't sleep so we were unable to ski the last day as planned. I heard cleaning ladies talking in the hall the next day saying they couldn't believe there was 6 people and only 1 Kingsize bed? The Pavilion Inn did move them the next day but that didn't help us. When we checked out the family and another large family were having breakfast. The children were behaving very badly and the parents weren't being responsible. The woman at the front desk said they didn't know how many people were checking into the room and wouldn't make any adjustment for the terrible night we had. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Pavilion Inn? Share your experiences!