“Perfect room, pleasant stay, excellent value” 5 of 5 stars

Olympic Lodge
140 Del Guzzi Drive, Port Angeles, WA 98362   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Port Angeles
El Dorado Hills, California
“Perfect room, pleasant stay, excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

After extensive research of properties to stay in while exploring the areas of Olympic Nat'l Park, we chose this due to prior reviews and room size (reserved the two room suite w/view of golf course/mountains). We were very pleased with the location of the hotel (quick drive to restaurants, Safeway and park). Room was expansive to give mom/dad a break from kids with two TVs. Pool was heated so kids could swim. Evening soup/cookies was a very welcome touch. Staff were friendly and welcoming. This was the perfect choice for us as compared to the Red Lion (while much larger and on the water), feel of the smaller hotel was the best choice for us. We will definitely return when coming back to the park to explore when more roads are open during summer months.

Room Tip: Two room suite with view is well worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RyanLFrench, Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your review of our hotel! I'm so glad you enjoyed our Olympic Suite--we are very proud of its sweeping views of the pool and golf course, with Hurricane Ridge in the background. I'm so glad you enjoyed our other amenities, like the complimentary soup and cookies, as well as the only outdoor heated pool in Port Angeles kept open year-round. We look forward to seeing you again this summer, and make sure you book plenty of time in advance!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel! The beds and linens were very comfortable and felt luxurious! The hospitality is wonderful with free homemade soup and cookies every evening and a warm fire in the lobby every morning and night. The carpets were a bit outdated, but is easily overlooked wiht the amenities! I will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RyanLFrench, Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We love providing amenities like our complimentary house-made soup and cookies and our wood-burning fireplace in the lobby, amenities that really bring out the rustic "lodge" atmosphere for guests visiting the national park. Thank you so much, and we look forward to your next visit!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

they have done a beautiful job especially in the lobby of this hotel. There is slate style stone floors down there that really adds to a nice rustic ambience. They have a real fireplace with real wood in it and beautiful fire screen doors. We hit the hot tub and it was nice, the golf course behind the hotel adds to the general beauty of your room when you have the curtains open and there is this green expanse behind your window. We rented an executive king with view room for three nights.

One thing I don't like is they have the icky flowered comforter on the bed, but from perusing their website, they are replacing these in April with duvets, etc, so that will no longer be an issue. the heater in our room was kind of wonky, sometimes it would say it was 74 degrees in the room and it would still feel really chilly, and it was a little temperamental, but I've been finding that issue at a lot of hotels I've been at, and it wasn't overly troublesome.

We did have breakfast here that ended up at a whopping 40 dollars for two people, but wow, the quality of the food was just about worth it. I got a side of bacon that cost four dollars, but the bacon was among the best I have ever had. I also got the rain forest french toast and it was PERFECTION. so it's up to you if you want to pay a bit more for quality food.

I would stay here again for sure. We were here in off season, but it was so wonderfully quiet and we really didn't hear many other travelers. I don't think there was people in the rooms on either side of us, so I can't really speak to how good the walls are, but they seemed solid from our experience. Oh, the mattresses, I wouldn't say they were out of this world, but both of us found it to be comfortable, and it didn't hurt my back, so I would say they are average to slightly above average quality.

Room Tip: We were in room 341 at the back of the hotel, you can see some of the mountains from here and a gorg...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RyanLFrench, Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel! We are very proud of our restaurant-style breakfast, and we are committed to providing the highest quality possible. And we are very excited to be rolling out new bedding this spring, like you mentioned. Thank you again, and we hope to see you back soon!
Chico, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My family and I were exploring the Olympic Peninsula with our exchange student and after some web research, thought that the Olympic Lodge was the right place to base our stay. I did NOT read the reviews before that referred to "CONDESCENDING SERVICE"..... but that's what I discovered in-person upon arrival.

I booked online using the government rate which is always afforded me regardless of my regular business or vacation status at other hotels throughout the country.

Upon check-in, clerk #1 asked me "cheerfully" what brought us to the area and I explained that we were visiting the park. (I actually placed those comments in my reservation beforehand!) Her immediate response was that my "rate wasn't valid" because I wasn't there on "business." When I explained that this was "news" to me, clerk #2 came in from behind the front desk wall with my a copy of my reservation and a pre-highlighted sentence which apparently said this rate was only while on business.... handing it to clerk #1.

The end result: the front desk clerks got to be RIGHT!! Hurray for them! I got to be wrong because I didn't see the (literal!) fine print.

They then "offered" me the AAA rate since I'm a AAA member which resulted in about $10/night more than I'd been expecting to pay. Obviously, it would have been simple to pay the additional amount, but since my initial welcome greeting to the hotel seemed so "snotty" (the exact word I used to debrief them on their customer service experience!), and it was important for me to know I was wrong... I told them I wanted everything canceled. Clerk #2 tried to explain away how asking the question "why are you in the area" was simply their customer service protocol to tailor their services. Perhaps it is so with other customers.... but there was barely a COMMA in the question, and the subsequent "the rate's not valid."

It was difficult to imagine that there wasn't a strong homophobic undertone in the clerks' responses, since my husband was standing with me during the entire process.

In all, I canceled the entire reservation in-person since the original room and rate were not available as reserved/guaranteed. Since the hotel had all of my information (including my comments about bringing our exchange student with us!) beforehand... a simple respectful call or email could have illustrated real customer service with a most-likely favorable review here.

In all: customer service upon check-in was toxic. The lobby looked great, though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RyanLFrench, Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
We offer the federal government's per diem for this county (which is over $25 lower than our standard rate) as a special rate to state and federal government employees traveling alone on business. You were only able to see that rate by making a reservation for 1 adult, as it is not available when booking for 2. Our goal is never to alienate guests or practice a "bait and switch" method with our rates, but neither do we extend such deep discounts to non-qualified guests. As to your other comments, I find them deeply insulting. We pride ourselves on maintaining a workplace that celebrates diversity.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Booked here after reading TripAdvisor reviews. What a beautiful place! We loved it and wanted to move in permanently. Stayed here after touring Twilight locations. Very courteous staff, very clean, very comfortable, nothing to improve upon. They do not offer breakfast but I don't give a flip about that myself. We did have a bit of trouble finding a restaurant we wanted to eat at in town (late at night).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
RyanLFrench, Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! We love to hear positive feedback on the things we are doing right. I do want to point out that we offer a restaurant-style breakfast, at prices comparable to many local restaurants, and I apologize if our staff didn't make that clear. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had a room overlooking the beautiful golf course. Fun watching he golfers too. The room was a good size a an most important r bed was very comfy and it was quiet. Cant hear thru the walls. It had a big roomy bathroom and yummy large towels. Every eve we were there, we enjoyed their 'complimentary', delicious soup in the georgeous loby. we would just melt into the big leather furniture which sit next to a roaring fireplace. The staff was wonderful and friendly. The room coffee was a little weak for my liking. No free breakfast, but the resaurant is on site an it has very good fresh food. recommnd the vegitarian omlet. room coffee was alittle weak or my liking. Wondeful, beautiful, quiet. we have been back twice.

Room Tip: golf course side
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RyanLFrench, Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel! I'm so glad you had the chance to enjoy our complimentary house-made soup that we offer these colder months on the weekdays. I hope you also had a chance to try our restaurant's coffee, which is a local premium micro-roast. Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were fortunate to spend 2 nights at the lodge last October. The rooms were impeccable, spacious and very nicely furnished. The lodge itself was gorgeous and the staff very friendly. Can't say one bad thing about it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
RyanLFrench, Manager at Olympic Lodge, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel! We hope you'll be back soon to see the improvements we've made since your stay: new flat-screen TVs with HD channels and HBO, new microwaves, and new refrigerators!

Been to Olympic Lodge? Share your experiences!