“A PA Dining Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Seattle, WA
“A PA Dining Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

We regularly visit Port Angeles from Seattle because of the excellent restaurants in the area. We have some long established favorites, but on the recommendation of our favorite B&B Innkeeper, we decided to try Michaels. We enjoyed it so much, we had to go back the next night.

The first night we started with some excellent cocktails. They have a selection of flavor infused vodkas which makes for some interesting drink possibilities. We both thought that our drinks were well-balanced and clever - they would be at home in any upscale bar or lounge.

The food began with an excellent appetizer of prosciutto and manchego cheese with a lovely salad of mixed wild greens with a well-contructed vinegrette. The table bread had an excellent crust, and we accompanied by a tapenade of olives in a fragrant extra-virgin olive oil.

We hadn't anticipated such a large amount of greens, so we also ordered Caesar salad. It was simple, fresh, and traditional. None of that creamy bottle-junk dressing here. It could have used just slightly more acidity, but that was easily remedied with the lemon wedge.

We were both craving something with meat, so I had Lamb and my companion had a sirloin steak. In both cases, the preparations were simple, and excellently executed. It allowed the flavors of the meats to remain the star of the show. The vegetables served with the meal were perfectly cooked and flavorful. The sirloin steak was paired with a smoked-salmon mac & cheese. This was intriguing to us, and our curiousity was rewarded. The flavors of the smoked salmon melded nicely with the rich cheese/bechamel, and the broiled cheese crust was perfect - adding flavor without being too heavy or salty. The lamb had a rich bordelaise sauce which complemented the meat without overpowering it. The accompanying polenta had a light covering of broiled cheese - also well proportioned and flavorful.

On this night we were too full to even contemplate dessert.

The next night, we decided that there was still much left unexplored on their menu and so we returned. This was to be an exploration of seafood. We enjoyed yet another round of cocktails and tasty bread, then set into an appetizer of sauteed calamari in a tomato/red bell pepper base. The squid was delicate and tender beyond belief. There were small coins of linguisa sausage that provided enough spice and contrasting flavor/texture, but did not overpower the flavor of the squid.

We opted to try something a bit risky, and we both ordered similar but different dishes - both of which were similar to the calamari. We had a "fisherman's pasta" and a seafood stew. Both dishes featured a collection of manila clams, mussels, large prawns, squid, salmon, and oysters. What was striking was that despite the similar collections of ingredients, the end result was very different. The pasta had a light tomato-cream base which was rich in flavor but not in excessive fattiness. The stew was also tomato based, but was distrinct from both the calamari and the pasta. There were notes of wine, and the aroma from the saffron rice that set it apart. In all cases, the fish/shellfish was perfectly cooked and flavorful.

This time, we left scarce room for dessert - and on the waiter's recommendation opted for the bread pudding. This was served with a rich, buttery caramel sauce. The pudding itself had excellent texture and mouth-feel, never doughy or liquid. The caramel sauce was obviously made in-house, and was not overly sweet.

We have plans to go somewhere else tonight - but if that doesn't work out, we may yet be back for a 3rd night in a row.

Florida Keys, USA
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

I used to adore this place, but the last couple times we have been there were so disappointing. Take our last visit. The two servers on duty spent the first 15 minutes of our time there arguing about who would get the table (we had moved from one that had a blinding view into the kitchen). During that 15 minutes we sat with water and our menus. When they decided who was going to wait on us, the appetizer was missing key components (the sauce and cheese). The waiter insisted they were under the other elements of the dish, but conceded they were not when we pulled it apart. The kitchen reported that if we wanted the appetizer it would be a 20 min. wait... to make the sauce! So they sent it out round one hoping we would not notice?? It was that night's special. Wouldn't you think the sauce would be ready to go? Meanwhile our main course arrives (several minutes after the app was served and while we are are eaiting to hear back from the kitchen about the sauce). Mushroom Pizza: Crisp edge, goo center even though the crust was paper thin! mushroom total could not have added up to one total mushroom. Caesar. Anchovies were old, hard and smelled of kim chee. Other items were passable.

Other server notes: Seemed annoyed when he asked us if we wanted pepper on the salad and we said yes. Would not leave us alone. NOT to serve us, but to tell us how it was not his fault even after we told him we knew. He was relentless. Never asked how our meal was, but made certain that we understood his tip was based on serving whatever food came out of the kitchen AND that the soux chef was an amazing chef.

I think the place suffers when the owner is not around. This time and the time before Michael (the owner) was MIA. I also think their soux chef should be replaced if he is too lazy to prep the sauce for the night's special.

Southern California
“Our Favorite in P.A.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

Our visit to Port Angeles was in October, when shops and restaurants tend to shut down a bit early, so our choices were limited somewhat. However, Michael's was one of our better dining experiences on the Olympic Peninsula.

It is downstairs (basement level) and not terribly well lit, which undoubtedly contributed to Vancouver Scorpio's "dank" description, but their choice to cancel was their loss. The dimmed lighting is not of the scary, "can't see my food" variety at all. It's of the cozy, romantic type, which was perfect for my wife and me, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. (That being the case, in addition to my wife being somewhat of a germophobe, I'd have turned around in a heartbeat if the place wasn't up to snuff.) As for the tables, linens, and dinnerware, everything was perfectly clean.

For dinner, I had a terrific shrimp pasta dish and my wife had the filet mignon. (I wish I could remember more details about salads or side dishes, but there are so many better things to remember about getting away from the kids for the first time in seven years!) Not being a regular wine drinker, my wife had to rely on the server's suggestion of a WA syrah, which she enjoyed thoroughly. As for the server himself, he was very friendly and attentive, yet not overbearing.

RE the dress, since we were traveling, we were dressed neatly, but also very casually. I think I had on nice jeans (by 'nice' I mean they were regular Levi's but with no tears, paint stains, etc.), a heavy flannel shirt (it's chilly in Oct), and my Merrell Jungle Mocs. I saw others a little nicer, but I didn't feel uncomfortable with what I had on. My wife had on jeans and a sweater and she was fine, too.

Overall, a great experience and worthy of a repeat trip.

North Vancouver, Canada
“Is it just me...?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

On Easter weekend, we made advance reservations here and at Bella (see review). In the afternoon of the day of our reservation at Michael's we dropped in to look the place over.

It seemed dark and dank and dingy, with a rather musty smell, so we cancelled our reservations and were relieved to regain the sunshine at street level.

I wouldn't want to make a judgement one way or the other on Michael's, but felt I should at least tell you how we felt.

Washington DC
“I wish I had a local restaurant like this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

Travelling alone, and with no reservation on a Saturday night, I was made to feel welcome. The ambiance was great, there was nice live music, and the service was spot on.

I had an appetizer of pork medallions on salad - (good, but not especially exciting) - and an espresso creme brulee - the crust was a little over-done). Despite the minor quibbles, overall the experience was superb for a restaurant in this price range. With a glass of good syrah, my total was $31 plus tip - good value.