“Eh....average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Port Angeles
Fort Worth, Texas
“Eh....average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Pros:

* Close to the National Park.
* Room was clean.
* Laundry facility available (we hiked so this was good.)
* Everything was easily accessible.
* Staff was friendly

Cons:

* Only one person does everything in this hotel. The front desk in unmanned. You have to call to summon whoever is working.
* All the outlets in our room were loose. Anything plugged in would just hang there and not work. I plugged in my camera charger and it fell back out. Of 2 different outlets. The ONLY 2 outlets.
* This place is pet friendly. If you don't like dogs then don't stay here. They were everywhere. I love dogs so this didn't bother me but it might bother some.
* The carpets in this hotel need to be replaced very badly. It smells like a wet dog and everything is threadbare with stains. Also, it is very outdated. The decor was definitely from the early eighties. The TV was an ancient tube model that must have weighed 700 pounds!
* The breakfast situation was less than stellar. The only protein option was sad looking hard boiled eggs. A waffle, a prepackaged cinnamon roll, white bread and yogurt were the other options. Oh and Frosted Flakes. More like a breakfast for a 4 year old.
* Walls were very thin. I could hear the TV next door.

Overall, this hotel is a decent option if you are busy doing things. We hiked all day so it was a perfectly acceptable place to sleep. I felt like the room was clean and that's all the really mattered to me. If you are looking for a place to relax and spend the day then this isn't the place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HI Liz,
Really appreciate your review. I really like to hear what people have to say. Allow me to comment on a few of your points. We staff our front desk 24 hours per day and double up in the evenings. In the mornings, we tend to rove around to make sure everything is running smoothly. But this is not the case during other times. Sorry to hear about the outlets. We recently replaced a bunch of outlets in restrooms and it sounds as if didn't get to the room you stayed in yet. I'll redouble our efforts to finish our upgrades and improvements to make sure it's better next time.

We have designated pet rooms and work very hard to keep our designated rooms well maintained.

I have to admit that our hallway carpets could be improved. Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of obtaining final quotes to replace the entire carpet over the net 30-45 days in those hallways. Your comment helps me to move faster.

Our breakfast is above and beyond the Super 8 standard breakfast. I offer more than 1/2 a dozen items more than an average Super 8. With the value prices our guests are paying, it's very challenging to extend the breakfast options. I hope you understand. A vast majority of guests understand the Super 8 standard and have appreciated our efforts.

I see that we have had many great comments from our guests as seen in other reviews that contrast against some of the things you've said. Keep your comments coming everyone. We are only getting better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The property is convenient to Hwy 101 a couple of miles east of the center of town. There are plenty of eating options nearby. The hotel is well-kept, but obviously also well-used. The room was clean and quiet and everything worked. The desk clerk was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was more than adequate. The entire second floor can be accessed without going up or down a single step. If you stand outside in the morning or evening you will see deer that come onto the property to eat the shrubbery. Meets or exceeds the usual Super 8 standard.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
David K, Owner at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Your review was very helpful to read. Your experience matches what most have said about our property. See you again soon. And those deer that are around the property this past few weeks have been pretty cool.
Auburn, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Close to Olympic National Forest and ferries, Super 8 Value Motel is a great value. The room was clean and spacious (wheelchair accessible). The mattress and pillows seemed like they were brand new and they were very comfortable. The place is fairly quiet. We really enjoyed our stay.

I don't recommend the restaurant Joshua's. Although the service was fine the food was something Gordon Ramsay would return to the kitchen.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
David K, Owner at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
We have nearly replaced all our Mattresses with brand new ones. I've replaced nearly 50% of them in the last 1 year. Looks like you got one of the new ones we just put in last week. We put in Serta Trevor Plush Mattresses. I liked them so much that I even bought one for my own home.

We've been replacing the pillow, sheets and towels with a higher thread count these last 3 months as well. We aren't required by franchise standards to go this far, but we know our guests can feel and experience the difference. We're not your average Super 8. As one of the top ranked Super 8's in the nation, we are proud to improve our offerings for our guests.
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Staff at this hotel were very friendly and efficient at check-in. This is a Super 8 Hotel, so it's obviously not a top notch hotel, so don't expect flat screen televisions and brand name toiletries in the bathroom. It is, however, a very clean and quiet hotel with an excellent location. We were shocked at how well we slept here; it felt almost as if we were the only ones on our floor, though we knew that was not the case. The complimentary breakfast was fairly predictable, but the hot waffles helped fill our stomachs a bit more than danishes and fruit would have. Overall, this was an enjoyable experience. We would stay here again (and probably will)!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
David K, Owner at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Hi Carrie, thanks for the comment. I remember you at Check-in. It was nice to meet you. Your experience is on par with what most of our guests are saying these days about us. I hope that by next year, you'll return to see some changes that will come as a pleasant surprise. See you soon.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Super 8 of Port Angeles while touring the Olympic peninsula. I chose it since it got good reviews on Trip Advisor and because of its sane pricing.
I only ordered a room for one night, and then requested to prolong my stay. Unfortunately, all the rooms of the type I stayed in (two queen beds) were reserved, so they moved me to a room with a single queen bed, which didn't matter much to me. The room was handicapped accessible, and in this case, it didn't bother me. It still had a shower in a bathtub. Although it had only one bed and not two, it was still a big, spacious room. On a positive note, they did allow me to move to the second floor (which is the ground one with the back entrance) by my request.
So, both rooms were big and spacious. The bathroom was quite big (certainly on the accessible room) as well. I asked for a room to the back, and both were very quiet.
Service in the front desk was good, friendly and helpful.

On the down side, breakfast was continental cold + waffles. They still offer those foamy cups that were noted as might cause cancer some years ago. The breakfast room was quite large, and there was no hassle there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
David K, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
dhz_tlv, Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for not having any rooms with two beds for your extended stay but pleased you were happy with the room we did have available for you. This is a pretty busy time of year for us and our rooms with two beds sell out quick.
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This very clean and welcoming hotel is very convenient for many Olympic national park sites. Also for day trips to Vancouver Island. Within easy travelling to hurricane ridge and the hoh rain Forrest this is a super base from which to explore the region. Good value well maintained and clean hotel with welcoming and helpful staff. Look out for Webster's woodland art, just off the road to the hurricane ridge visitors centre.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
David K, Owner at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hi John,
It's a great time of the year to visit now. Everything is open. We're lucky in that we are so centrally located to all the activities that you mentioned. We do have so many guests who stay with us for several days to see the area. We have gone out of our way to compile a good amount of local information about the area including maps and so forth. We are also starting to partner with the local attractions to provide discounts to guests too. Look for them on our website soon.
Roanoke
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We stayed in the queen bed suite which was very comfortable. I booked the larger room, which had a sofa/table/tv in a separate room from the 2 queen beds and other tv. We were 3 adults who'd been traveling together for a week and I thought the extra space would be helpful which it was! The 3rd floor room was clean and comfortable and had a great view of the sunset one night. Breakfast is adequate and the location is convenient to visiting Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. The only thing I would have liked was a bit more lighting which I mentioned to the desk staff as we left and they made a note of it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
David K, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Port Angeles, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
jskva, I agree the sunset view from that room is beautiful! I just went up and shut all of the curtains in that room and turned on all available lights. I do agree, a floor lamp in the living room area would definitely brighten the room up some more. I will look into that. Thank you for your review, we will see you next time!

Been to Super 8 Port Angeles? Share your experiences!