“Don't expect too much” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Port Angeles
Ferndale, Washington
“Don't expect too much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed here for two nights. It is right near the ferry terminal and within walking distance of many restaurants. The room we requested (non smoking -waterview with a balcony) was not available when we checked in, and the hotel clerk's comment when I commented regarding the room we did get (smoking-waterview first floor) - was "same difference." We paid in advance for the buffet breakfast, and this was a big mistake. There was a 15 minute wait to get seated, and a 10 minute wait for the waitress to bring us silverware. The supply of buffet items were quickly exhausted, and not replaced while we were there. There are so many restaurants and cafe's close by there is no need to waste time and money at the Red Lion breakfast. Finally, the room was never serviced by the overworked staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

There are not alot of choices in Port Angeles to stay - this appears to be one of the better places. There was nothing special about the place. It was clean and well located. It might have been better if I was on the other side of the hotel and had a view of the water. I ate at the lounge since I arrived late - food was pretty good. I did appreciate the free internet. I would rate this higher but I felt the price was simply too high.

• Stayed July 2010
Key Largo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

I spent one night here to do business with Westport Yachts. I didn't spentd the extra forty dollars for a waterfront room, as I work on boats and live on the water. The room was vintage Motel 6, with freeway noises. I know this is season, but $159 dollars, with no breakfast included is laughable

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Ferndale, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

My family and I stayed in this hotel for the 14u State baseball tournament and it was the worst place I have ever been especially for the price they charge!!!
The ladies at the check in desk were so rude and I should have known by that first impression it was going to be horrible.
They told me one price when I made reservations and charged me another once I got there for the weekend. They offer continental breakfast but for another added fee.
The beds were like sleeping on a cement floor, Every morning everyone of us had a sore back and body. To take a shower you must put at least 45 min aside because the water pressure was a joke.
Again if you expect to get what you pay for DO NOT STAY HERE!!
Oh yeah and you have to get there early if you want a microwave and fridge because they only have like 35 for the whole hotel so there constantly moving them around. Last but not least an employee was in our room at one time or another because they left a copy of there manifest in our room. Which left every name and number of every person that was in the hotel and what room you could find them in. Hows that for privacy???

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
mansfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Loved the view out our window/balcony at the Red Lion in Port Angeles. Looking out on the water, seeing the viewing tower, and the Coast Guard lighthouse and buildings in the distance was great. We stayed there 3 nights - getting the 3rd night free with their special package. The room was very nice, beds and pillows comfortable. Had micro and frig which were nicely hidden in armoire that also housed and nicely hid TV. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

My family was visiting Port Angeles for the Fourth of July weekend. We were surprised and happy to have a room with a view of the water. We were able to enjoy the fireworks from the comfort of our balcony. The beds were very comfortable and we appreciated the microwave and fridge in the room. The pool and hot tub were very inviting, and my sister got a good workout at the fitness room. The location of downtown was perfect. We were walking distance from shopping, local food, and the waterfront. The hotel staff were very courteous and knowledgeble about happenings around town. The town was lovely and we enjoyed local restaurants and waterfront dining at the hotel. The next time we are in Port Angeles we will definately be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New Lexington, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I stayed here on my first night visiting the Olympic National Park. I thought it would be a nice break from hostels. My one night cost $159. I didn't think the Red Lion was any better than an average Best Western or Holiday Inn chain hotel. I thought it was exorbitantly priced. The room was pretty and the bed was comfortable. The view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca was gorgeous, but my room faced the parking lot. I did like that they provided toiletries from Bath and Body works.

The location is excellent. For the Twilight fans, the Red Lion is only a couple blocks away from Bella Italia, the Lincoln Theatre, Port Book and News and Dazzled by Twilight. To my knowledge, however it does not have any Twilight-themed rooms like most of the accommodations in nearby Forks.

I signed up for the Roaring Start breakfast buffet and was highly disappointed. It cost nearly $10 and half the food had run out. The waitress greeted me, then never offered to seat me even though the sign said "please wait to be seated." I seated myself and was thoroughly ignored by the waitstaff. The food was average. I would've had a better meal at McDonalds for half the price.

I'd recommend the hotel if you had someone traveling with you to share costs. I felt it was too expensive for a solo traveler.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles? Share your experiences!