“the most terrible hotel i have ever seen in my life !” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #53 of 66 Hotels in Macon
Grenoble, France
“the most terrible hotel i have ever seen in my life !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

we are 3 friends coming from France, and we're on a road trip from Massachusetts to Florida, when we needed a hotel for the night in the area of Macon. we saw Econo lodge on the coupon hotel book for 39$ a night. when we came there, they said the 39$ were only for a single room (which wasn't written on the coupon), but they gave us a little discount and gave us the room for 47$ (53$ with tax) instead of 50$. we paid for the room at 7 pm and went right away to a restaurant nearby to have dinner. when we came back, my friends took a shower, and when it came to my turn, i almost dried myself with a towel from the hotel with *** on it (I'm not allowed to write the word on that site, but i think you can also say that someone dried himself just after doing a poo)! we immediately looked at the rest of the room a little bit closer, and it was all dirty : the bed sheets were yellow, with cigarette burns on it, there were empty bottles under the bed, the toilet was just disgusting... when we went to the office to complain about the dirty towel, they said we had only 10 min after checking in to complain about the room...we asked for our money back, but they said it's not possible, and accused us to have put the ** on the towel on purpose! at that time, i got really nervous, and they said we should leave right now. but when i tried to get the dirty towel back (I gave it to the manager to show him), and said i would call the police, they said that the only thing they could do was to give us a new room. as it already was 1am, and we were really tired, we accepted... but we didn't know we would have a new surprise : the Air conditioning didn't work, and the room was at more than 100 degrees !!! i don't think we will be able to sleep with this heat, and at this time we still don't know what we're going to do... this is going to be the worst night we ever had !

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

This hotel was very basic and we only stayed here passing through on the way to Savannah GA. The room we stayed in basically was very run down. The bathroom was terrible tiles were so roughly put down, grout missing, weather proofing sealant seemed to be everywhere except where needed to be and it looked as though these things had just been done. Sheets and pillow cases were discolored. I could not recommend this hotel to anyone. If we were not so tired we would have kept driving. In the morning we saw other hotels close by.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
US
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I took my daughter down to Macon for her state board examination for cosmetology. Due to a recent death, my husband could not take off more time from work.
When we got to the room it was smelly, and it looked like heaven knows what took place on the chair that belonged to the desk, due to the stains.
I brought our own comforter, blankets and pillows just in case. The air conditioner never did cool the place down we were hot all night.
The next morning we had to get up at 5 a.m. to prepare for her exam. My daughter looked out the window to see how dark it still was. It was less than 5 minutes when there was a knock on the door, we ignored it, then the phone rang, it was someone wanting sexual favors. We called the front desk to come walk us to our vehicle, he didn't want to until I said I would call 911.
While we were leaving there were two men outside following us around asking if we were leaving. I did have a pistol with me for protection and pepper spray. I would hate to know what would happen if the front desk guy had not come and walked us to our car.
We left an hour before we had to, but we were shaken.
I would not recommend anyone to stay at this establishment. It is dirty and not safe!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

My husband, y 5 y/o, and I drove through Macon on our way to the South Carolina beach, and we needed a place to stay for one night. We found a coupon in a book, so we decided we'd stay at Econolodge. First of all, let me say that you pay for what you get!! The only reason I stayed there was b/c my husband refused to leave. Although I didn't SEE any roaches or rodents, I felt like I was staying in a "roach" motel. The room was dirty and dark; I felt yucky all over!! I tried not to let my mind wonder what all heinous acts had been performed in that room. I wouldn't let my child walk around the room without his shoes on. We didn't even take a shower there (pretty bad, huh?). Don't make the same mistake I made. MAKE your husband take you somewhere else!! (By the way, I read in another review about the "no refund after 10/15 mins" policy. When my husband told me about it, I just laughed...until I walked into the room...."

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

Saw signs on interstate for Econo Lodge in Macon, decided to stop before getting too late to find a hotel for the night. Saw signs stating that it was newly renovated. Had coupon book with a price of $39 per night. Just needing a good nights sleep before continuing on we chose to stay there. Went to check in and we were told that the coupon was just for a single that we were to charged $49 plus tax. We got the room around 7pm the girl checking us in told us about an Applebee's down the street. So we went to have supper before checking into our room. Came back about an hour later, she was standing outside smoking and saw us arrive. We went up to our room with our stuff and saw the room. The room was awful. The bedspread was yellow with burns in it. The smell was really bad and the bathroom was absolutely discusting. The toilet seat was cracked there was mold in the shower, there was dirty marks on the wall. There was no way that we were going to climb into bed there. Got our stuff, went to the front desk and told the girl that this was not going to work, that there was no way that this holel was newly renovated. She said oh let me show you what we mean by newly renovated. She gave us another room to check out. This one was the same only had newer bedspreads.
She called us in the room about 2 minutes later and ask us if that was going to be better. I told her that we were on our way back to the office. We nicely ask for our money back and we would just go on. She told us that we only had 15 minutes to request a refund and since we had gone to supper first and came back that there was nothing that she could do. She said that the manager was not going to be there until 11pm. We just decided to leave anyway. There was no amount of money that would make me go to sleep in that room. We called customer service with Econo Lodge and filed a complaint and just requested that we receive our money back. They told us that the owner had 7-10 days to respond to our compaint and wiould respond to us directly. We have not heard anything from the owner or from customer service.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing it was awful, do not let the out side of the building deceive you.
  • Disliked — The room was filthy, the bedspreads were yellowed with burns in it, the sheets were yellowed. The bathroom looked like something from the 50's, toilet seat was broken, mold in the shower, marks on the walls. The smell in the room was awful, the refridgerator was really bad. There was no way that I was going to stay and let my family stay there.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Muscatine, IA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

First of all, they did not have a crib for their guests to use, and my seven month old son had to sleep on the floor. They did not know what a crib was. They said, “Do you mean a cot?” I said, “No, a crib is what babies sleep in.” I should have left right then, but we were tired, and just wanted a place to sleep.

Secondly, they would not honor a coupon that we had to get the room for $35.00 a night. They said that it was only for rooms with a king sized bed, but we wanted two full sized beds instead. The only restriction on the coupon was that it could not be used with any other offers. We even showed them the coupon and all they could say is "This is how it has always been." There was no "I'm sorry" or anything like that.

Next, the room was like a dungeon. It smelled musty, and there was a wet spot on the floor. Who knows what that was? The bathroom was dirty, and I was afraid to walk in there with bare feet. Also, the room hardly had anything in it - no hair dryer, iron, coffee pot, etc.

The final straw was the next morning at the continental breakfast. I was attempting to make waffles in waffle iron they had sitting on the counter. I read the directions located on the machine, and they tried to follow them. The directions said to turn the iron over, so I did, but I also lifted it as I was turning. You would have thought that I committed a mortal sin. One woman behind the registration counter yelled at me and scolded me like I were a child. She then stomped over to me and said in a stern tone, "Can't you read directions." I was fuming by this point, but then I saw the man behind the registration counter roll his eyes.

They should win the service people of the year award.

Save yourself some time – stay away from this place.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing!
  • Disliked — The unfriendly people who worked there.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2006

This was my worst hotel experience ever. The rooms are dirty and poorly maintained. Ceiling and walls are falling apart.

The continental breakfast is a couple donuts on a plate.

We parked in one of the safest spots directly in front of the office. When we returned to the car the next morning the entire back bumper was crushed causing approximately $700 damage. I went to the office to talk to the associate who had been there during the night. They said they saw nothing and offered no apology. They had no cameras to review footage. Ended up being a very expensive stay.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this hotel at all costs
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge - Macon / Riverside Dr? Share your experiences!