“Do not stay here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Macon (I-75 & Riverside)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Macon (I-75 & Riverside) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Macon (I-75 & Riverside)
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2720 Riverside Drive, Macon, GA 31204   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 65 hotels in Macon
Chattanooga, TN
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I'm not sure what has happend to the area since the 2008 reviews were written but this old, old hotel sits in the middle of a deserted strip mall that is not very safe or secure. It has seen better days and should have been converted to a Motel 6 years ago. Things there are so old, in fact, that the plumbing "moans" all though the night...I kid you not! I have heard people make reference to pipes that "moan"...Let me tell you...they do! All night long! We kept calling for maintenance and they kept coming up to fix it again and again. Try sleeping in a room across the hall from moaning all night. What's worse is that the front desk knew immediately what we were talking about when we called to complain..."Oh, that's the pipes" she said casually...knowing all the while that she had assigned us to that room that would be annoyed by pipes all night long. Our sleep was interrupted all night long...when the pipes weren't "moaning", the A/C was cycling on and off every five minutes (no exaggeration...I timed it).

It has been painted so many times over the years that there are different colored paint drip marks on almost everything...door knobs, sink, door trim, window sills, etc. There was black mold around the shower knob and the toilet looked as if it had been bought at a salvage yard. Everything was old! And, not in a good "antique" way.

To top it off, the person who had stayed there the night before had left the alarm set for 5:30 AM so we were awakened by that too! (Not entirely the hotel's fault although housekeeping should have a policy of checking that in every room when it is cleaned).

We left there tired, cranky, and upset that Holiday Inn allows their name to be used on a place like this. Unfortunately it is happening with Holiday Inn all too often these days. We are using them less and less.

We left there tired and cranky

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

As other reviewers have mentioned, getting to it is a merry game! Our sat nav stated "recalculating" a number of times so once we entered the strip mall its a quick left then right under the portico and down the other side, where they do have a few Priority Card parking slots which is handy for cardholders. A quick tip, if returning at night head around the hotel towards the rear entrance is this is well lit - the other side is a bit gloomy and somewhat foreboding. Your key card will allow access.

Check in was pleasant and seemless and we were given a well provided room on the sixth floor. Bed comfy, bathroom clean but the window couldn't be opened, a problem as you can smoke in these rooms if that is your bag - smoke botherers beware! A few good touches were thrown in, such as bottled water and good toiletries, a reasonably sized desk and some local info which was useful.

There are plenty of eateries within a mile but not really much within walking, we went downtown - about three miles to the Rookery. All in a good stop off point. Breakfast was adequate and coffee good and yes my companion raved about the cinnamon rolls. For the Allman Band devotees like us the Rose Hill cemetary is approx one and a half miles on the left as you head into town. Even though we had to negotiate what seemed to be two teams of little leaguers, it was an ok one nighter. If staying on business I think a week would be max.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

Interesting hotel- apparently it used to be a hospital, so some of the room design is a bit different. But I would say that it is a step above most holiday inn express around. I don't think there was a pool. Getting into the property is a bit wierd as some earlier stated, and the shopping center it is near to is virtually dead. But, honestly, when I am on the road what I want is a place close to the interstate without crazy traffic, a good, clean room, and good breakfast. Hotel delivered on all accounts well, and the staff was nice to top it off. Annoying, that I also experienced the slow drain from the tub when taking a shower, but taking everything into account, better than I expected.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — tub drainage
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Republic, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Didn't have reservations as we didn't know where we were going to stop on our way to Florida; checked in late about 11. I agree with commenter about strange entry and location. The check-in girl was nice enough but I had to ask about a AAA discount that got us $10 off. We got two queen beds. Very nice and comfortable. We brought an air mattress and sleeping bag so we didn't have to mess with a roll-away. Main problem was the air was not turned on so the room was hot and took quite a while to cool down. I assume this was because we didn't have reservations and so they were not expecting us. The room was clean and large and easily accommodated the 5 of us. It would be nice if they would put more than 4 towels in a room (They probably would have given us more had we asked.) The breakfast was very good. Large selection of hot and cold food, good coffee, juices. A real good way to get the day started.

• Disliked — Air was not turned on and room was hot when we got there (we didn't have reservations though).
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

The rooms were clean. The lobby and the interior of the hotel were nicely maintained. The breakfast was fine. Most all of the staff were friendly and helpful, but not all. The management was somewhat lackluster in their response to the one rude and very unhelpful staff member, which was disappointing but otherwise the stay was fine.

It is in an odd abandoned strip mall. The location is not the greatest, but that has more to do with the city of Macon that the HIE.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

This is located in an interesting place, an almost-empty shopping center. It has one of the strangest entry ways, requiring a car to weave around to get in front of the lobby. All that said, our stay was fine. We had no problems.

We got in late (10p) and left early (7a). The king size bed was nice and firm. The room had another interesting feature - it wasn't rectangular, the far wall sort of jutted out so a window could be inserted. No spectacular view but it made the room larger. There was a sofa and chair. Free Wi-Fi worked.

Complimentary breakfast had hot food including eggs (a big deal with me since some "free hot breakfasts" are just hot rolls, hot gravy and sheer carbs) but, again, the design of the eating area was as strange as the location of the building and layout of the rooms -- cramped, tables stuffed in around walls.

It wasn't the Ritz and I wouldn't spend a week there but just what we needed for a short stay while passing through on our trip to St. Augustine Beach, FL. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Firm bed, room size, free food
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Paducah, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Riverside in Macon, Ga. this past July coming back from Florida vacation. Our problems started out as minor when we were not provided a roll-away for the 5th member of our family per our reservation. What followed was a series of lies from the night clerk, who was inept and pretty rude too, and the manager (Mr. Shah).

We finally got the roll-away (about 45 minutes after arriving) after being told repeatedly that one was not available. After asking the right questions, it was apparent that the day shift had not done their job properly by delivered the bed, and the night shift refused to pick up the slack - laziness and poorly managed. To aggravate the situation - the night clerk and the hotel manager (Shah) decided to lie their way out of the situation rather than serve the customer properly. Some of the lies were 1)there was no roll-away bed on the reservation (but day clerk confirmed that there was), 2) we were not entitled to a roll-away (we were through Priority Club), and 3) the whopper lie was " Holiday Inn did not allow more than 4 persons in a room"- Ha! (obviously not true). The bright spot was that the day shift clerk was very capable individual and honest too. I would not recommend this facility for you or your family - they basically are just after the money and not interested in serving their customers well.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dishonest Staff and Management
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Express Macon (I-75 & Riverside)? Share your experiences!