“Comfortable, convenient, and quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel Macon

Save Saved
You added Magnuson Hotel Macon to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel Macon
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2720 Riverside Drive, Macon, GA 31204 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #33 of 65 hotels in Macon
Seattle, WA
“Comfortable, convenient, and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

A recent out-of-state emergency forced us to fly across country with little notice and stay 8 days in a hotel we knew very little about. Happily, we found our stay to be comfortable at every turn. When we needed items we forgot to pack, the hotel provided them. When paper was required for an impromptu meeting, the hotel provided a tablet and folder to house legal documents. Bandaids were offered when we realized a couple were needed. I especially liked their policy of providing bottled water, free of charge, upon request. We requested several bottles each day, and when chilled bottles were available they offered those.

Housekeeping staff were always courteous and available. Front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. We did not eat the hotel breakfasts since we prefer hot breakfast meals; this hotel provides a more continental style selection. No lunch or dinner meals are provided. The hotel is situated in front of a strip shopping area which had a number of vacant storefronts making us wonder about the locale, but we had no reason to feel unsafe and saw no indication the area was problematic.

The room was spacious, and the bed was very comfortable providing ample support for my sensitive lumbar. We both rested comfortably each night. Even in the heatwave we found in GA (106 F one day!) the room was always cool and inviting. The thermostat in the room insured individualized comfort. The bathroom and closet areas were both appropriately sized, and the room contained a medium sized mini-fridge and microwave. Additionally, there was a pull-out sofa, coffee table, lamp, and comfortable and supportive chair in a seating area of the room. The desk was used for dual purposes, offering me the option of a vanity in early mornings and workspace at other times. The large, flat screened television swiveled and was easily seen from all areas of the room.

Parking near the hotel's front entrance was often limited when we returned at night. There will always be parking spaces available on the back side of this hotel due to the shared shopping center venue, but I did not want to leave a vehicle parked in an unsupervised and out of view location, especially where storefronts were for empty and advertised for lease. This was the only negative comment about our stay and fortunately did not pose a problem every evening.

We may have to return to this GA area and will not hesitate to stay in this hotel again. It is reasonably priced, convenient to 2 interstate highways (I-75 and I-16), near the city's downtown corridor, convenient to 2 large hospitals and 1 smaller medical facility, and an easy drive to the major shopping venues of the Macon city area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here one night with my family. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the breakfast was great. The nighttime desk attendant was very friendly which is more than I could say for the daytime desk attendants. I did not use any amenities other than the computer in the lobby and the breakfast. I would stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Clean hotel, friendly staff, and comfortable beds made this a nice stay for me. Thank you staff.

• Stayed June 2012
Bradenton Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Usually, Holiday Inn Express hotels are nice, so what a disappointment this place was when we arrived. This is an older hotel, with a decor that will make you dizzy. Our room had a old, sagging couch and chair in the corner. The bed had to be 20 years old, extremely firm and uncomfortable. Nasty location in a deserted strip mall, with a hard to access entrance. Breakfast was disappointing as well. Holiday Inn Express...you need to get your name off this place...FAST. My saving grace...this was a business trip, so we were not traveling on our dollar.

Room Tip: Nicer hotels in Warner Robbins. Do your research. Unfortunately, we didn't.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Macon, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again after they refused to waive a no-show fee. I had made a reservation with this hotel location. I showed up at the Macon Holiday Inn at 3953 River PLACE drive (not Riverside), which is two miles away. The clerk said that my reservation didn't show up. I believed it had been canceled instead of changed when I called in to push my reservation back a day. I called guest relations to see if anything could be done for me since I'm a club member and travel constantly, staying in their hotels. They said that they would give me a response within 40 hours. I waited a few extra days to give them time. When I called finally they said they could not refund me the no-show fee. I asked them why I would stay with the same chain one night and have a no -show with that same chain's hotel two miles away. They said it was my responsibility to make sure my confirmation was correct, which I did have. The clerk at the hotel that I stayed with did not even notify me that there was another one close by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Macon, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear rachel w,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for taking the time to write us a review. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We'd like to obtain some additional details regarding your stay so we have sent you a private message. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Express at 2720 Riverside Drive. Its a typical Holiday Inn Express on an interstate but this one is extremely clean and well kept. The parking is well lit and close, the surronding mall is not overly occupied but does not present a security risk; its clean, also well lit and actually gives the place a parking lot for trucks and RVs that other places don't offer, sort of a hidden advantage if your smart enough to think about it.

One of the only occupied stores is a US Post Office, a convenience for postal service. The parking lot in front has a Bank of America, with an outdoor ATM. So if you are a Bank of America customer in need of UPS service you won't need a car. There are a few resturants in walking distance and a discount gas / convenience store.

I truly liked our room. It was nicely appointed and well equipped, frig, microwave, ironing board with iron and a coffee maker. The bed slept well and the linens were perfection. As I mentioned earlier the room was extremely clean. We had a king room and we loved the area with the sofa, desk and coffee table. We had a somewhat stressful morning and that area was invaluable while we called family members and ate breakfast. The flat screen TV is on a swivel so it can be adjusted for viewing in any part of the room.

The breakfast was adequate and the breakfast area was small and occupied when I went down; trays are provided for room breakfasts. The scrambled eggs and bacon were definately great for a free meal.

The pool is very nice, small but very nicely appointed and clean. The one short coming is a one computer business center, on a desk in the lobby. It did function well and the printer is a color version. The internet is pretty fast and requires a code for access.

One of the few short comings is the color coordination in the halls and public areas; the interior decorator must have been somebody's wife. The interior appears to have had some sort of recent renovation.

This hotel is one great deal for the rate; the check in was a breeze and the clerk was very nice. I had to hang out in Macon for an afternoon and it is one of the worst cities I have ever experienced; I mean blight, boarded up buildings and very few entertainment options on a Sunday afternoon; BORING!

The Holiday Inn Express on Riverside is a great deal, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The king rooms have fold out sofas and offer more space to move around. If you have a group of thre...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Eminence Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Check in was a breeze, hotel very clean. Everything one would expect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Magnuson Hotel Macon? Share your experiences!