“Great for Mercer visits but not much else around” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early Save up to 25%
Ranked #4 of 65 hotels in Macon
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great for Mercer visits but not much else around”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, typical HGI. Restaurant was less quality than other HGIs I've eaten at. Staff was nice. Not much of anything around there but if you have anything at Mercer u it's the best place to stay so you can walk to fields etc.

• Stayed March 2013

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This Hilton is nice enough, I stayed for 4 night. Not the best location unless you are there for the university but about 10 miles from the shopping and places to eat. This was a business stay so it served the purpose. It was clean and comfortable but nothing special expect a couple bottled waters for hhonors members. I was recommend staying closer to riverside dr.

• Stayed March 2013
Jonathan A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback, however we apologize that our location wasn't ideal for you. If your future plans bring you to Macon, we do have several local restaurants located in Mercer Village about five blocks from the hotel and the Macon Mall is just 2.5 miles away with shopping and restaurants. If there are any more comments you would like to share, please feel free to contact us directly. We love hearing from our guests.
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I give an overall rating of disappointing for this visit for only 3 'below normal' service levels as can be expected from Hilton Hotels.

(My wife and I have stayed at this hotel 2 times before this stay. She wrote a review which detailed what to reserve and I forgot to follow her guidelines.)

First, let me say that everyone of the staff I met was very friendly and polite. The general appearance of the hotel is clean and neat, giving a welcoming feeling to the guests. It is located directly on the Mercer campus and that one fact is its major star attraction.

Our room, 418 on the top level and only two doors down from the elevators was clean, neat and had a pleasant smell. Even though it was near the elevators, we did not experience any loud hallway noise from the other guests or staff.

Here is where the rating takes a nose dive to bottom of the heap.

1. We reserved a King Junior Suite (includes a front sitting area with TV), but instead of a King size bed, we had a Queen size bed. It was late when we arrived and we did not complain as we just wanted to rest.

2. Now, the Queen size did fit us, albeit a little snug. However, the mattress had a HUGE valley in it, which was the side that most people would use to sleep in. My wife had that side and I had the 'mountain' side. Seriously, there was about a 4 inch drop between the side I slept on and hers.

3. Do not try to buy wine or liquor from their cute dinning room bar. The staff has 'no clue' about bar tending, plus the drinks are way over-priced. Liquor stores are plentiful nearby.

I did talk to Beatrice at the front desk upon check out about the problems with the room, but she said she could not reimburse me or do anything for me as I booked with Expedia

Room Tip: We recommend choosing a room away from the elevators and one that is on the highest level. We highl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jonathan A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Let me start by apologizing for the inconveniences you and your wife endured while staying with us. All of our suites have standard 76" x 80" king mattresses with the Garden Sleep System, however I apologize the bed in room 418 was not up to standard. When booking with a third party there are specific rules that we as a hotel have to follow. However, if you would please contact me directly at the hotel, I will be more than happy to work with you to find a reasonable solution. Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you.
Sanibel Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Clean, friendly good breakfast. The 24 pantry has a wonderful selection of items. The breakfast bar was very good and the wait staff very kind. Cookies on the counter for my evening check in were a nice touch! Located right off the highway and easily accessible to everything!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vandalia, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel! We came here for a visitation of Mercer University, which is within close walking distance. The staff were very friendly and helped us with whatever we needed or asked for. I have never stayed in a hotel that smelled so nice! The rooms were clean and comfortable. They have a very nice and comfortable sitting area in the lobby. The restaurant food was good and their staff was very polite and helpful. Many choices on the breakfast buffet. Not very many restaurants right close by, but in Mercer village there was a great Mexican restaurant, Margaritas and a pizza place. You could walk to them. If we ever drive south again, we will definitely make this our stop!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Superb location, room and staff! My group was comprised of huge Chicago Blackhawks fans and we especially enjoyed watching the win on Sunday afternoon in the comfortable lobby sitting area after checking out and beginning the next leg of our trip to Savannah.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My family and I went to Mercer University to watch a basketball game. The hotel was next to the baseball field, sand volleyball courts, and within walking distance of everything on Mercer's campus. We stayed on the 1st floor. Our ceiling was about 15 feet high. It was quiet. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was friendly. The hotel looked to be new. We ate at a Mexican restaurant right down the street that was really good. It might have been called Margaritas. Overall we thought Mercer University and this hotel were excellent.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms seem very large due to ceiling height.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University? Share your experiences!