“Visiting Mercer” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Macon
Thomasville NC
“Visiting Mercer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This facility is as advertised. Staff was professional and friendly. Room was clean, beds were comfortable, towels were satisfactory for two people. Fresh hot waffles for breakfast. We visited Mercer University, this hotel is a few exist north. Was easy to get to our destination from facility. We would stay at this facility again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MrUtahUte7, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Macon, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your recent stay with us. I was very happy to hear about your interactions with our staff members. These are the comments that keep the staff motivated to continue to provide excellent service. Thank you again for your recent stay and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Devin Houston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Oakland County, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I'll begin by stating that I wrote the first ever Tripadvisor review for this property. Two years ago, I was highly impressed with this (at that time new) hotel. I recently had a second stay here in the hopes of a similar experience, but was severely let down.

We arrived in the evening, and were promptly checked in. My young children, tired from a long day on the road, immediately fell asleep. It was a particularly cold evening in Macon, so I turned up the heat to get it running. After about 30 minutes, I realized that the room wasn't getting warmer, and that the heater/ac unit in the room was only running in short 60 second "bursts". I went downstairs to address this with the front desk staff member. He advised me that this is normal, that the rooms have motion sensors that only allow the climate control to run when the room is occupied. He also advised me that he would be unable to move me into another room due to occupancy levels. Lastly, he advised me to give it more time, and that the room would eventually warm up. At that point he interrupted our conversation to answer the phone, and I returned to the room to get some sleep. I woke up a few times throughout the night, and found that the room had never warmed up. Very disappointing and uncomfortable, to say the least.

Wear and tear is also highly evident in this property. I am amazed at the toll two years can take on a room. Our room had peeling wallpaper in the washroom, a loose/dangling pocket door latch, and a giant stain on the carpet. Not typically what you would expect from a Marriott brand.

That morning we took breakfast and then checked out. At check out, the woman working the desk asked how our stay was. When I reported the heat issue, she empathized and stated she would discuss this with the general manger. She indicated that she would see if he could give me some Marriott Rewards points as compensation for our inconvenience. I thanked her and left the property. I then assumed that the matter would be addressed to my satisfaction, which was a mistake on my part.

It has been almost a month since our stay, and still no response from the general manger. His lack of response speaks volumes about his regard for guest satisfaction. Unfortunately, it appears that the staff of this property are just going through the motions without any true regard for guest satisfaction. This is not what I've come to expect from the Marriott brand. As a result, I will never return to this property, and would recommend that others pursue one of the other plentiful options when in the Macon area. I know I will.

Saint Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I called ahead of time to make certain 6 people could stay in the suite they advertised as a 6 person suite, made the reservation with the local desk clerk and specifically told her there would be six people. First of all, it was a holiday weekend. We all dressed to go down to the advertised "heated pool" which was closed and we were informed it would not be available all weekend. I was not told this upon check in. We had two towels, one bar of soap, one set of shampoos, and two half used rolls of toilet paper for 6 guests; the refrigerator did not work properly which they finally replaced on our second night there; there were no linens for the sofa bed which was unmade; we had to call down for linens as we did towels. The tv remote did not work properly. The ice maker on our floor did not work and was in fact removed from its spot where mold and mildew remained in sight the entire stay.

The many trains in the middle of the night and early morning hours made me feel like I was in "My Cousin Vinny" movie . We did h ave to laugh about that.

When talking to the desk clerk and an asst manager, I was told two towels are "standard" in all rooms, including rooms for 6; since they replaced the refrigerator, there would be no adjustment for that. NO ONE there could make a decision, they called the assistant GM on the phone. I was not able to talk with anyone who could make a decision. So they adjusted my bill $10.00 per night since we did not have use of the pool. Let me say, the room rate was close to $100.00 per night.

I felt ripped off and will never stay there again and will second guess Marriott Hotels from now on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We always stay here when visiting our family in Macon. The suites have a great layout, LOVE the design in the lobby (really fun!) and the breakfast is always yummy. Staff has always been helpful and polite.

Room Tip: I have stayed in both the queen and king rooms--both are quite comfortable.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here in March 2012 to be near an elderly relative in a nursing home. The room was adequate, though lighting in the bathroom (mirror) was poor. My cell phone charger was stolen from my room during the day on my last day there. Although the cost of the replacement was reimbursed, it was not convenient to go out an purchase a new one that was not even equivalent to the one that was removed from the room.
I did return at Thanksgiving for a 5-night stay. The room was adequate again, but there was a loose floor tile in the bathroom and the toilet seat was broken. I reported both of these maintenance issues, but I really have a feeling they were not repaired.
On Thanksgiving, we were out until early evening. On our return we were dismayed to find that someone (?) had stuck a "do not makeup room" card in the key card slot. We were tired and really not wanting to face a room that hadn't been serviced that day. Again, I reported to the desk clerk who seemed genuinely concerned and promised that the manger would contact me the following day. That has not happened yet.
I did find the breakfast to be adequate and ample, the bed comfortable, and the desk staff to be friendly. I just think there is an issue with oversight that related directly to management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a drive from Florida to Ohio. The location of this hotel was perfect. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The room was clean and confortable. Breakfast was typical for a springhill and served it's purpose. I would defineately reccommend, and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed at this property in room 408 on the Dec 20. Its a beautiful hotel and clean. However I felt it needs maintienance. There was a small gap between the tub surround and the tub in that room. We mentioned that to front desk. It may just need caulking. We could feel cold air coming from there. You hotel is beautiful, and I would hate to see water get in thru that gap and cause mold and wet carpet or floor. Your staff is courteous, breakfast was superb. Had a great night sleep on comfortable pillows and mattress. Because of this good experience, we ended up in another Springhill Suites in Chattanooga.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Macon? Share your experiences!