“Very Interesting Museum” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 34 things to do in Macon
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Covers the history and culture of Macon's African-American community.
Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Very Interesting Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is an excellent place to learn about black history. They have some really beautiful art work. Very enjoyable to take your time and walk through at your own pace.

Visited May 2011

Marietta, GA
5 attraction reviews
“So much to see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

The rooms just go on & on - there is much more here than you might think when you first enter. We took our 9 yr old son here & we were captivated & moved by what we saw. Through historical artifacts & mini-biographies, we learned about slavery & the abolitionists, the Civil Rights movement, & inventions by African Americans. There is also an extensive collection of fine art & folk art. SO interesting & moving. A must-see in Macon.

fort valley
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

I was so glad that my church took me to this museum because I learned more from the tour guider, Mr. Todd, than historical books. Books don't break it down into a form that I can quite understand. Therefore with Mr. Todd I could ask as many question as I wanted with an answer that I could understand.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Hated It!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

I felt that the Museum should have been more informative on Harriet Tubman since that is what catches everyones attention "THE NAME" - "HARRIET TUBMAN" The Museum was based on black art, old black movies from the 70's and a muriel of Black History.. This is not at all what I imagined it to be!

Atlanta
“Neat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

Very nice. I am sure it will be much better when they move in the new building around the corner.