“A must for all to see” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanbis Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gizo
Sanbis Resort
You added Sanbis Resort to your Saves list
Mbabanga Island | Western Province, Gizo, Ghizo Island 1100, Solomon Islands   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Gizo B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“A must for all to see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I have been to the Solomon Islands 14 times over the last 22 years, but this was my first visit to Sanbis. I should explain that I'm an independent TV producer I was in the Solomons to make a marketing DVD for their tourism department. I was very keen to visit Sanbis and was not disappointed when I arrived. The location is stunning. Water as clear as gin, with thousands of tropical reef fish swimming around the jettyies and coral. For me the design of the resort was spot on. As I said to Hans "one problem I will have here is there are too many fantastic scenes to shoot" The rooms are what you would expect from the Solomons. They have all you need and are very comfortable. The staff are great and the food is spot on. Crayfish pizza everyday for lunch, unreal. Sanbis has been built "eco friendly" which is great. I hope to return one day for a holiday. Thank you Hans for a great stay. Oh...you don't need a pool when you have the sea to swim in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a resort on an island a 10 minute boat ride from Gizo. It looks 'rustic' and has individual bungalows but they are not well equipped. There were no electrical sockets in our room and we had to charge our laptops/phones at the bar. This is OK but not really acceptable given the price of the accommodation. Food was average. Customer service was good but the uniforms the staff wore (dark blue tee shirts) did the resort no credit at all. They were boring, dull and looked cheap. Sanbis could do with an image makeover I think.

We went to FatBoys Restaurant for lunch one day (another resort 10 minutes from Sanbis), which was much better. Food was more varied and quality of customer service better.

We enjoyed our 2 days at Sanbis but would prefer FatBoys another time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HansGizo, Owner at Sanbis Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Mr Wijemanne
I cant find any records of you having stayed with us! Did you actually stay at Sanbis Resort or are you a friend of the fatboys owners - bagging us? It happened before that fatboys management posted a review about us and bragged to some friends of mine about it. Regardless, we have around 28% return guests and that should speak for itself.
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Visited here in mid November with a small group of 5 interested in doing some scuba diving. The Sanbis Resort is situated on a largish island with nice views and a fairly short boat ride from Ghizo airport. The bungalows each have a verandah looking out to sea and the cleanliness is fine. No air conditioning, just a very small fan which can be very noisy. There are no power points in the rooms to charge batteries and the lights and fan went off every night which left you in a lather of sweat. The water to the showers is from a well so it's a bit brackish and smells. The food was fine and the staff very friendly. There is no swimming pool. It was made very clear that dive groups are not really catered for and the dive operation reflected this. For the money I would have expected more.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
HansGizo, Owner at Sanbis Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Nautilus 127
I’m a little surprised and disappointed about your report, particularly your comment about the cost, seeing you haven’t had to pay for anything but alcoholic drinks. We quite often are visited by travel agents where the ink on their business cards is only just drying – asking for a free stay… as they apparently will send us lots of business – they are usually asked to stay elsewhere… 4 out of the 5 in your group are retired dive shop owners who managed to somehow “convince” the SI Visitors Bureau to sponsor for you all a free holiday/junket trip, including flights, accommodation, food and diving. None of you have asked for pricing, have shown any interest in what we do, further reinforcing the fact that you weren’t here for business, but a free, SI tax payer paid pleasure holiday only. I enquired to receive some business cards from you all, so I would have an opportunity to follow up with you for further business in the future, but contact details weren’t forthcoming. After speaking with your group, I found out that only one of you logged onto our web site prior to visiting us! Yes, we are not interested in dive groups as they usually book through an agent, receive 25% commission and the dive “leader” also stays and dives for free, totaling to around 35% discount – as you can imagine, somewhat unprofitable for us... Furthermore, the group dynamics, particularly with dive groups can be a little overpowering and does not fit in with the general profile of guests who wish to have a quiet holiday at Sanbis. Couples who are also divers are usually very much enjoying their holiday with us – without having to be larrikins. Fans do work 24/7, yes, water quality for the showers can be a little brackish if we haven’t had much rain (which we haven’t had at the time) and we never professed to have a swimming pool but awesome snorkeling all-round the resort.
Honiara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was bored with Gizo and had an evening free so I thought I would visit Sanbis for dinner. The meal was superb and I was not disappointed. It was served near the bar area. I had fish cakes for starters, followed by a concoction of mixed pumpkin and fish soup and grilled fish which was excellent. Alice who worked quietly behind the bar made some excellent cocktails while Hans engaged myself and some visiting yachtsmen in interesting topics. As it was getting late I decided to spend the night and had no regrets. The bungalow was fairly basic but well appointed and clean with lots of fresh towels, insect spray and mosquito nets. The staff were friendly and helpful. I was served a nice hot breakfast with generous serves of scrambled eggs and bacon. Later, one of the divers Suga took me to the airstrip, carried my bags into the terminal and waited until I received my boarding pass before he took his leave. I would recommend this resort to anyone. It is a fantastic retreat. Hans and his team are great hosts. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect but from the moment we arrived to coconut drinks at the bar perched over the reef we knew we'd come to somewhere special. The staff were unfailingly friendly, helpful and relaxed - always ready to assist or just leave you alone to do your own thing. We spent our days snorkelling over the reef right in front of our room, then for variety borrowed a kayak to cruise the island. Best of all though was the diving. A special thanks to the guys at the dive shop - they looked after us very well and know their stuff. The vertical reef was spectacular and the Hellcat and Toa Maru wrecks well worth it. Food - we started with an excellent pizza from the wood-fired oven for lunch and came back for more each day. For dinner (in the restaurant or on the deck over the reef) there's excellent seafood caught by the locals daily (the crays are a must), but also good alternatives on offer. The menu changes daily and the quality of the cooking was very good. The rooms are basic (unless you want to go right up-market and stay at the Lodge) but clean, and after all, we didn't go there to sit in our room all day. Well done Hans!
C&P

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stay Honiara over the best few years I have been lucky to stay at many small hotel/ resorts around the pacific. This being a completely unplanned trip and so last minute worked out to be perfect.
We were meant to go to Papatura but due to changes in flights we couldn't being disappointed and my birthday I decided to ring and see if there was any chance Sanbis could squeeze us in and luckily they could!! By four thirty that afternoon we were enjoying a sol brew on Hans famous bar over the water and were chuffed.
We were suppose to stay two nights and go back on Sunday but extended to Monday we were having such a great time.. We loved all the water activities and the ease at which we could choose to dive or fish and it would happen so easily. We found the activities to be so worth it and actually quite reasonably priced. The bungalows all though very simple are well built with everything thought of and fitting with the environment. Each bungalow has been placed strategically so you almost feel like you are alone on the island. I loved waking up in the morning to the sun coming up over the water, was magic!
The food was great very pleasant and fitting for the environment we loved margaretta pizza with crayfish. We both left the island feeling we had one of the best breaks we have had there is something for everyone. I would definantly like to book the lodge on our return trip.
Staff also very helpful and very well trained.

Well done guys we will be back :)

• Stayed October 2013
Honiara, Makira, Solomon Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Currently living/working in Honiara the local (X-patriots) I have come to meet had always advised me to choose ‘Sanbis Resort’ for a get away, as it was told to be second to none over the abundance of resorts spread out over the Solomon’s.

After nine months of listening to the enjoyable experiences everyone had on their return from Sanbis, I was convinced that it was sound local knowledge. So I booked the Lodge for just under a week for my partner and I.

Even equipped with high expectations, both of us were astonished of its presence. I don’t believe spectacular things can’t be truly expressed in conversation. The main and dinning bars are the most alluring tropical structures.

Every meal was outstanding and delivered impeccably. Once you get past all the freshly prepared seafoods and local fruits and produce, I would suggest trying the mouth-watering wood fire pizzas and focaccia breads.

In result the sociable service; we felt as if we knew the staff for years even only after a couple of days of the stay. Nothing could ever be a problem and any request was attended to in minimal time.

Although Sanbis is remarkably sophisticated, I would advise to book with the acknowledgement that you are staying on a remote island resort, expect to utilise insect repellent on occasion and leave your classy dinner attire and pretentious accessories at home.

Both my partner and I will be back at the next available opportunity but will be bringing friends to share the experience with.

Room Tip: Although the lodge would be most ideal for two couples our accommodation was more secluded then you...