“Convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bella Vista Motel Franz Josef Glacier

You added Bella Vista Motel Franz Josef Glacier to your Saves list
Bella Vista Motel Franz Josef Glacier
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   34 Cron Street, Franz Josef, Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu) 7856, New Zealand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Deals & Specials
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Franz Josef
Brisbane, Australia
“Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were travelling from Queenstown to Nelson and stopped for the evening at Franz Joseph and came across this motel. We were offered two rooms and selected the one which suited our needs the most. The room as a fairly standard motel room which was just what we needed for the evening.
The motel is very conveniently located within walking distance from the hot springs and also the cafe's & bars.
The manager was very helpful and friendly. We were also given towels that we could take to the hot springs which saved us money there.
The room was clean and comfortable for the nights stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The room was basic but perfect for our stay, the receptionist was haelpful and friendly. My wife wanted breakfast for the next day which was organised and delivered to the room in late evening for the next morning. The Motel is perfectly positioned in Franz Josef for all the bars and restaurants as well as the thermal pools which are a 5 min walk away and well worth a visit. Overall exactly what we expected, basic but friendly Motel.

Room Tip: Visit the thermal pools very relaxing especially if you have a hard day walking or in our case after...
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed in a number of motels in this chain during our trip around New Zeland. This one is typical, providing everything you need for an overnight stay. The standard rooms is not big but is cosy, clean and well maintained. They give you milk for coffee / tea.

This one has a good location with easy walk to the centre of town where there are a few cafes/ restaurants.

The only downside is the limited wifi that you need to pay for if you want to do anything other than check some emails. Go to the cafe in town which has free wifi.

They have a great cash back scheme to encourage loyalty, this saved us some money on our last night.

We would recommend the chain.

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I traveled here from the USA. When we arrived we were shown to room # 2. My wife and I agreed immediately that this was not a room for us...it was not only small but it was not laid out in an appealing or comforting manner and was a "disabled" room. Adam (owner/operator) also suggested at check in that we buy a continental breakfast for $13 each which did not appeal to us and we chose not to. Since we prepaid for 2 days being unhappy as we were we asked Adam if he would let us cancel the second day but he stood behind his 48 hour cancellation policy and would not allow our cancelation . He told us he did not have any additional rooms he could let us move to AND that our travel agent had requested this room.
We decided to tough it out but I returned a few minutes later to discuss it further with Adam. I was prepared to leave after our first night and suffer our loss and i think Adam could sense this as I entered the office.....he then went back to his computer and concluded that YES he could change our room to another....but I'd have to pay him $30 more for the 2 nights.
We moved rooms and survived our 2 days in a better mood.
When i returned from our trip i contacted our travel agent and he told me he did not book a "disabled room" AND he prepaid for our continental breakfasts ( I did not know he prepaid for our continental breakfast).
Adam did eventually refund thru our travel agent the costs of our prepaid breakfasts.
SO...was i being taken advantage by Adam for taking another $30 from me to get the room it seems I had prepaid for thru my travel agent AND him knowing that i had prepaid for the continental why did he try to sell it to me for $13 a piece?
I did not let my experience with Adam ruin my Franz Josef experience and was able to put it behind me BUT I know when I am being hustled ....What do you think?

w

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FranzJosef007, Owner at Bella Vista Motel Franz Josef Glacier, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Mr Kirsner,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your travel review.
We do have a variety of room types in our NZ motel. To be legally compliant with NZ certification we are required to provide two access studios. These studio are enjoyed by the great majority of our guests who find the added space in the bathroom a bonus. This room type is included in our standard queen studio category inventory.

I regret that the style of our Qualmark 4 star accommodation was not what your wife and yourself are accustomed to. As your reservation was made through a third party you never had the opportunity to visit our web site, prior to reservation, to select a room that best suited you. I’m often complimented on how room description / photo / floor plans on my web site meet expectations.

The NZ$15 per night difference was a genuine price difference between the two room types, a difference that you indicted was acceptable at the time. After you vacated studio 2, as you would expect, I did need to re-prepare it for the next guests.

My apologies for not ensuring that your pre-paid NZ$12 breakfast option was not supplied to you. This was a genuine admin error on my part. I’m pleased you requested a refund and was glad to promptly authorise your agent to refund.

I regret that you feel you had to survive the next two days. I trust that you found the new mattress topper & bedspread and the opportunity to soak in the spa bath increased to your level of comfort.
I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your New Zealand experience.

Kind regards
Adam Haugh
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

3 Star , 5 / 10
Helpful staff , good service. Manager was excellent ( called us when the East west bridge was out so we could modify our plans).
Convenient location , close to shops , restraunts (and a medical center)
90's decor in good condition , beds where fine, hard to get a good combination of pillows though.
LCD TV , Spa bath , kitchen.
Slight drip on the kitchen sink.

Room Tip: Top story gets the best views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our family of 4 was very happy here. We had a one bedroom. It was comfortable, clean, and quiet. It was also conveniently located near Alice May Restaurant, which we ate dinner at both nights we were there because we like it so much. Adam was extremely friendly and helpful. From home when we trying to find something online he was very helpful in trying to accomodate us. We were there on New Year's Eve and were happy to be there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Great room with very friendly staff

Let me start by underlining the very friendly staff. The hotel itself is a typical Bella Vista hotel. The layout and rooms are nearly everywhere the same in NZ so from that side all is good.
The location of the hotel is very good - just off the main road.

Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: The main attraction here is of course the glacier. However you have to take a chopper or plane to see the beauty of it, as by foot you will see nothing more than a lot of old and dirty snow

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bella Vista Motel Franz Josef Glacier? Share your experiences!