I originally stayed at Rainforest Retreat and was so disgusted with the conditions of the backpacker facilities that I walked 4 minutes up the road and walked into the first hostel I found on my left which happened to be Chateau Franz - didn't realise how lucky I would be. It was not only 6 dollars cheaper a night but was 100% more amazing. I originally booked 4 nights and ended up staying 2 weeks and didn't want to leave. Let's begin by mentioning all the free stuff that is kindly offered because they understand whats backpackers and travellers need and this makes it the best hostel EVER...free wifi in communal areas (loads of sockets and comfy chairs with views of the mountains if you get the right seat), free breakfast from 7.30 - 9am, free soup each evening (home made every day), free use of hairdryers and straighteners available from reception, hot water bottles to hire and free use of their well kept hot tub! AND each week they have some free event on for guests - whilst I was there I attended two free BBQs with free beer and watched two fire shows where the workers performed complicated fire spinning routines - so much fun! There was also free sushi and beer offered on another evening. On top of this most rooms have a tv and video player and the backpackers block has a giant TV room with sofas and tv for a great comfy night in. The kitchen facilities are extremely clean and large with endless equipment. The rooms are so varied in style all quirky and really cleaned with comfy beds and really well kept and I even had my shower curtain changed daily! I might sound biased as I ended up staying so long but in a town the size of a football pitch they were doing something right because I didn't want to leave! It was largely because the staff were so cool. Chris the manager was so incredibly helpful and friendly and goes out of his way to help anyone just like Ed who isn't happy unless you are happy. The whole team are like a little family and always have a smile on their faces and are ready to help - thanks Chaz and Prim :) Then as if everything already on offer wasn't enough the lovely Ben, who organises all the events and free stuff, also does organised tours and shuttles to local sights! Honestly this is the best hostel in all my 8 months of travelling I have come across. I've even had them book my Queenstown accommodation in advance for me with their sister branch because I had to move on at some point - thanks Chris for organising everything for me!! I will definitely be back and will miss all the awesome people that make Chateau so hard to leave. Thanks for an awesome stay guys!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ed welcomes you to Chateau Franz...Come and relax at Chateau Franz Motel & Backpackers after your fun filled day on the Glacier. Centrally located, we are only a few minutes walk to all Franz Josef has to offer. We offer a variety of accommodation to suit all budgets. A free spa pool, free homemade soup every evening, free breakfast, free movies, popcorn and friendly informative staff in a great atmosphere! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, HostelBookers, HostelWorld, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Chateau Franz, Motel & Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau Franz, Motel And Backpackers
- Chateau Franz, Motel & Backpackers Hotel South Island