“If you're interested in the Kiwi, this might be your place, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westcoast Wildlife Centre

Westcoast Wildlife Centre
Cnr Cowan & Cron Streets, Franz Josef, Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu), New Zealand
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 18 Attractions in Franz Josef
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
Brevard, North Carolina
75 attraction reviews
“If you're interested in the Kiwi, this might be your place, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We arrived very early in the morning and while the building and coffee shop were open the exhibits were not. They did finally open about a half hour later. Despite its name, the center primarily focuses on the kiwi, the iconic, flightless, NZ bird that is almost extinct. While the exhibit in semi-darkness was interesting with a couple of kiwis to observe, it was somewhat underwhelming. We thought the center was overpriced for what it actually offered. But if it's kiwis that you're after, this is the place.

Visited November 2013

Rotterdam
11 attraction reviews
“Great to see a kiwi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

At the wildlife centre you can spend a bit of time on a rainy day.
When we got there, there were 3 kiwi's we could see and being fortunate enough to be the only ones there, we could watch them in peace for quite some time. The kiwi's are in one space, so the time to watch them, don't rush along after a couple of minutes. They are wonderful creatures to observe.
After the kiwi's, you can watch a video about them and continue with some information about the glacier. Good for about an hour. Make sure to purchase something from the shop to support the kiwi

Toronto, Ontario
5 attraction reviews
“Overpriced ......a total miss!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

For the $30 admission price, I expected to see more than three kiwis in the dark, plastic glacier structures, colour display boards and an informational video. I feel very cheated by this experience. Their gift shop alone takes up about half the size of this attraction. Absolutely not worth it and I am surprised that this is recommended by the Lonely Planet. A total miss!

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Having missed seeing kiwis on my last trip to New Zealand, I was greatly looking forward to visiting this centre, but oh, what a disappointment. Firstly, there is the price - $30 for a "day pass", which sounds good value, until you discover that you really would not want to spend more than perhaps an hour looking at what was on offer for that price. Then there is what you get for your money - three kiwis in a relatively small area of mock-up woodland, which is, if course, kept very dark. It was great to see and hear the three kiwis behaving so naturally, but there is a limit to how long you want to stand there watching them. From there you walk into a room that has a display of glaciers etc. - nothing more to do with kiwis.

Now, I happen to know a lot about glaciers, and if I didn't I would choose to go to a specialist geological centre/museum dealing with glaciers. Having paid all that money to see and learn about kiwis, that is what I wanted and expected to do. However, in order to do that you have to pay not $30, but $45!!! It is not possible to have the behind the scenes experience, i.e. just a kiwi tour, without paying for the glaciers exhibition!!!

I am a strong supporter of conservation, and admire the work they are doing, but for $30 dollars I would expect to see and learn more about it. That way I would be inspired to maybe give more, i.e. through adopting a kiwi, etc. Instead I am left with the feeling that this is a tourist rip-off, which I want to have nothing more to do with.

One final warning: My motel was able to sell me a ticket at the special price of $25, which I thought was for the behind the scenes tour only. However, it turns out this was for the basic visit, for which I, as a "senior citizen" should have paid only $22. The centre, however, did reimburse me the difference, but beware if you fall into that age-group.

Perth, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Overpriced, boring, don't waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Even with the bookme.co.nz discount (half price) I still feel ripped off. There were 3 kiwis in a dark tunnel. The rest was all mundane plastic models with a tv playing a video. Hardly interactive. Would've been much more interesting with some more interaction with the kiwis (petting, feeding etc) . I feel sorry for any families who have to pay a small fortune to get in.