“Didn't expect the pain!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 attractions in Franz Josef
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: New Zealand's Highest Tandem Skydive - 18,000ft. Be surrounded by Aoraki/ Mount Cook & Tasman, Franz & Fox Glaciers, Rainforest & Ocean for your Skydive. Our Friendly team and epic surroundings provide simply the best skydiving experience available in New Zealand! Choose From: 12,000ft - 45+ seconds free-fall 15,000ft - 60+ seconds free-fall 18,000ft - 75+ seconds free-fall All of these options include a scenic flight over Franz Josef Glacier and a 6-8 minute parachute ride. We use the world's most advanced and most comfortable parachute systems.Our aircraft is maintained and operated to the highest standard in the industry. Photo & DVD options available.
Singapore, Singapore
7 attraction reviews
“Didn't expect the pain!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This is supposed to be an epic first skydiving trip. I read all the positive reviews on this site and was very excited to go on this, trusting that everything would be taken care of by the professionals.

So paid a lot of money for the 18,000ft skydive + video + photos, and they suited us and strapped us up and told us how to get in position for the jump. But not once did they tell us what to expect nor any safety briefing nor anything that could potentially happen.

We were quickly interviewed and taken 18,000ft up. I had quite a shock when I was freefalling out. My ears hurt SO badly, and all the saliva in my mouth dried up due to the wind. Despite how much I smiled (it's all for the camera) in my video, I was in such discomfort and surprise that I hardly noticed the scenery, all I remember seeing was a lot of greenery and clouds.

My friend and I brought this up to them, and it felt like the guys at the counter were just giving us excuses after excuses! The worst being that 1 in 100 people who jumped experienced pain, and that airlines do not tell their passengers to equalise their ears either. Almost everyone (6ppl) in our group experienced ear pain, and 3 of them got a better experience because I told them about mine. When you are freefalling THAT fast and you have NO CLUE at all if anything you do is safe, you just don't think to do much. Definitely not like in an aircraft where you are calm and can very easily get an air stewardess!

I have a feeling that people think that this experience is supposed to be so epic that they just don't bring this up or can't be bothered to. The Taiwanese girls I jumped with certainly wouldn't.

It's like this company just wants to hustle tourists in and out and get their money in as fast as possible without regard for their comfort or experience.

SkydiveFranz, Marketing Manager at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate that your experience was not as enjoyable as you expected.

We felt that we acknowledged your concerns on the day and informed you we would consider your feedback. Though we could not promise to implement any new procedures as you suggested without discussion or consideration. We have since amended our procedure to ensure it is now even more clear than it was before that customers that are aware they have sensitive ears must inform us of this prior to their jump. The valsalva manoeuvre is also now a included in our briefing for all customers.

All customers are briefed on what is expected of them during the skydive. The tandem passenger's role is intentionally kept simple. The main reason for this is because sensory-overload is common in skydiving. Giving too much information to an inexperienced tandem passenger actually increases the chance of disorientation. With this there is and increased chance of the customer doing something to put both themselves and their tandem master at risk. Over learning also reducing the customers chances of enjoying the scenery and the sensations associated with the activity. Keeping the passengers role simple means they can enjoy the ride, the scenery and the sensations knowing their highly experienced and qualified tandem master is in control of the descent and any circumstances that may occur.

While pressure build-up in the inner ear and sinus cavity is normal, and slight discomfort can occur, pain the next day and immediately after exit is not. It seems you may have unknowingly had an ear infection at the time. If your discomfort continued we suggest you visit a doctor to check it out.

We love what we do and are proud to offer this amazing experience to people from all over the world. We have been rated New Zealand's Best Skydive based on customers' reviews, so we take on board you comments and appreciate your feedback.

We hope you enjoy the remainder of your visit to New Zealand.
Clare and all the team at Skydive Franz

11 attraction reviews
“A must do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you were thinking of doing a skydive you need to do it here!

The guys made us feel really safe, we got great pics and videos and it really was an experience of a lifetime couldn't recommend it more, I loved every second. The views are epic!

Visited January 2013
SkydiveFranz, Marketing Manager at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Hi!
Thanks for jumping with us and thanks for the review! The jump team here are great aren't they, they really out you at ease if you're nervous about your skydive so you can enjoy it to the fullest. It's so worth having photos and videos of your jump, I'm glad you like yours :)
I hope the rest of your trip was as memorable as your skydive in Franz Josef Glacier.
Thanks,
Clare & the team @ Skydive Franz
“Woohoo!!! Enjoying life at its fullest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Franz Josef's glacier is a great place to strap yourself to a beautiful stranger and fall out of a plane. The service was very good and everything was nicely explained. Although the pics and video were pretty expensive it was worth it as a second person jumps at the same time as you just to twirl around you and take pictures. The trip included a short scenic flight with an awesome view on the glacier mt cook and the Tasman sea.

SkydiveFranz, Marketing & Administration Officer at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Hi there!
Thanks for the feedback, we love to hear from people who have jumped with us!
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your jump here over the spectacular scenery of the West Coast. It's a pretty special place to jump :) It's so worth getting the photos and video, the guys do an amazing job of getting epic photos and footage for you to take away so you can always look back and re-live the experience and also share it with your friends and family. It's so much fun seeing someone else jumping at the same time as you.
Anyway, thanks again for the great review. I hope the rest of your trip is as awesome as your skydive.
Clare & all the team @ Skydive Franz.
Nicosia
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We would thoroughly recommend skydiving with Skydive Franz. As first timers we were of course apprehensive however the team were very reassuring and informative as to the procedure and what to expect. Our jump was delayed for a couple of hours due to the weather however we far preferred to wait for the better conditions. The end result was a fantastic experience. The views of Mt Cook, Fox, Franz Joseph and Tasman Glaciers were brilliant and the freefall from 18,000 feet the most amazing feeling. Thankyou Skydive Franz for the experience of a lifetime.

Visited December 2012
SkydiveFranz, Marketing Manager at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hey there, Thanks for reviewing us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your first skydive, thanks for jumping with us. It can be a pretty nerve racking-racking before you jump, especially your first one. The whole team here knows that and does their best to put you at ease. It is so obvious that the jump team are incredibly experienced which also helps with the nerves somewhat. Thanks for holding out for the weather to improve with us. We sometimes do have to go on hold to wait for safe jumping conditions, but as you say, it is well worth the wait!
Cheers,
Clare and the whole team @ Skydive Franz
“One of the best things your do before you die”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Well as we have been all told, the world is going to end on the 20th December. So I thought before it does, I would do the 18.000 feet skydive.
I went with Skydive Franz, as they are a small professional company and they really make you feel one of the team. I even had a running commentary on all the sights to see on the way up. Great company and well worth the money.

Thanks Skydive Franz, for making my trip..........

Hi Mr R,
Thanks for writing such a lovely review of your skydive with us!
And hey, what a great idea! What better place to be as the world ends than free-falling through the sky! haha, great!
We really pride ourselves on making it a personal experience. We are a small company so when people come to jump it's like they are one of the family for the day! :)
We also like to share our knowledge of the West Coast with our jumpers. We love Franz Josef and want to share it with as many people as possible!
It makes us really happy to hear that we made you trip!
Thanks again,