“I learned and enjoyed it!” 5 of 5 stars

864 543-4068
Website
Improve this listing
Columbia, South Carolina
“I learned and enjoyed it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I live on the NE side of Columbia, and DD is studying SC history this year at school. So last weekend, we searched for a nearby historical site for an afternoon trip. This park fit the bill. I printed off the google directions, along with the directions from the National Park Service's site that said to use caution with the google directions, and we enjoyed a pleasant drive to Ninety Six over many small ridges I didn't even know were there. Then I followed the google directions and ended up at a parking lot at the lake on the east end of the park property, lol. We could have just parked there, and walked on trails to the visitor center, but it seemed a little isolated, so I drove the mile or so back up to town and followed the signs that led to the visitor center. :-) No regrets as I like "exploring", but you should probably follow the NPS directions, lol.
When we arrived at the park, my first impression was to marvel once again at the workmanship in the buildings and paths due to it being an NPS property. I'm not talking about anything "spectacular", but the construction of ramps, bathroom, signage, etc. is predictably solid and nice-looking. It's a nice change of pace to those of us not living nearby a lot of NPS properties. There is a cabin there that was relocated from another place, but fits right in to show the history. The battlefield and fort areas were well maintained (though fire ant mounts should be better controlled imho, they are not on the paved path, so not a danger, just an eyesore.) I liked reading the explanations of the trench warfare and seeing trenches, and I'm not normally a "battlefield" fan. All in all, an interesting afternoon spot, & it taught me that there is some interesting revolutionary war history around here.

Visited February 2013

Warrenville, SC.
3 attraction reviews
“Great history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Learn some thing new about South Carolina's past. They have a great set up here with self guided and guided tours. All sites are approchable with placards of information ready for viewing. Enjoy your visit and come back soon.

Tampa, Florida
9 attraction reviews
“Nice historic outing, surprised of size”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We took our time & walked entire path around, great museum facility, got lots of fun photo's & were able to learn lot just walking the path & reading as we walked.

Greenwood, South Carolina, United States
“Great Place to HIKE!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Lots of trails, with my favorite being the trail that leaves the main entrance and goes to and around Star Fort Pond. It is great!

Visited October 2012
Prosperity, South Carolina
16 attraction reviews
“A hidden treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a great place to see a Revolutionary war star fort. It just amazes me that it is still there. After walking through the town site you can walk for miles down historic Charlestowne road, through beautiful woodlands to the pond or see a forgotten cemetery on a different trail. Sometimes they have re-enactors.

Visited July 2012