Reception was friendly, helpful and approachable (think she was the owner/manager? not sure on this). The hotel was a wonderful 5-7minute walk to the Village, and 10-15 minute drive to Lake Matheson. Also, it's not near any of the glacier tour helipads.
We stayed in the newly renovated unit (non-wheelchair accessible). Covered parking in front of unit was great, especially when unloading/loading luggage when it rains. Note that vehicles bigger than a 4 door sedan may not enjoy the luxury total cover (unless you park really close to the entrance). Very small flight of steps into the unit coupled with a large glass sliding door at the unit entrance makes loading/unloading luggage/gear very easy. Unit mostly carpeted, whilst the bathroom and mini-kitchen area were of timber flooring, making the unit pleasant to walk around bare-footed when cold.
Very powerful electric heater in the bedroom/living/dining area. Bathroom however does not have those electric heaters that blow nice warm air out, but powerful halogen lights inside bathroom do provide ample heat, albeit at a slower rate. Water pressure was fantastic.
Room was a little short of power points in the living area, had to run an extension cord from the mini-kitchen to the dining table. Unit also had ample space for 4 adults to sit (there's a sofa in the room as well) and discuss the next day's adventure/travel plans.
Wireless internet was cheap ($10 a day), fast and stable. Signal strength low, but same experience with my other accommodations in New Zealand’s South Island (except the wired ones).
If you’re seeking a quiet yet convenient, clean, comfortable and affordable place to stay in Fox Glacier Village, this is the accommodation you’ve been looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Matheson Motel is ideally located 400 metres from the town centre of Fox Glacier. While we have been proudly named after beautiful Lake Matheson for our 22 years in business, we are definitely a town based motel; while we are not on the edge of the Lake, we are only a ten drive away and the same for the Glacier. Our motto is 'simply nice'. This means we provide simple, clean and comfortable accommodation and focus on giving you good quality basics such as quality Sleepyhead beds, cotton linen, good showers, televisions and utensils. We have a 4 star grade with Qualmark. So come and enjoy our studio and 2 bedroom units, with mountain views, in a peaceful location. We have WIFI,undercover parking for all units, some spa units, King and Queen bed units, continental breakfasts, a portable BBQ and a Guest Laundry for your convenience. We hope to welcome you to Fox Glacier soon. Heather and Mike, Motel Managers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Lake Matheson Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Matheson Hotel Fox Glacier
- Lake Matheson Fox Glacier