On our arrival a friendly lady greeted us at reception and provided us with a map of the town and some milk.
She then showed us to our room which was being aired out, ie all doors and windows were open. It smelled and was dusty. I have no idea how it has so many good reviews. We were the only one there in the whole motel.
We did not get much sleep through the night due to the smell and dust but more importantly the room was cold. Even with the heater and electric blanket I struggled to sleep.
Some suggestions to the hotel owner to improve on the cleanliness include take out carpet, bed coverings that cannot be washed (there were two), fabric bed base (again this cannot be removed and washed) and take out the fabric couch.
You will be disappointed if you stay here.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Matheson Hotel Fox Glacier
- Lake Matheson Hotel
- Lake Matheson Fox Glacier
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Matheson Motel is ideally located 400 metres from the town centre of Fox Glacier. While we have been proudly named after beautiful Lake Matheson for our 22 years in business, we are definitely a town based motel; and are not on the edge of the Lake which, like the Glacier, is a ten minute drive away. Our aim is to be 'simply nice'. This means we provide simple, clean and comfortable accommodation and focus on giving you good quality basics such as quality Sleepyhead beds, cotton linen, good showers, televisions (flat screens currently being installed in all units) and utensils. After extensive renovations over the past two years (we still have four units to complete this winter), we have gained a 4 star status with Qualmark, but have kept our prices at our original 3 Star Plus level. So come and enjoy our 21 studio and 2 bedroom units, with mountain views, in a peaceful location. We have a newly installed Zenbu wireless system, undercover parking for all units, some spa units, King or Queen bed units, continental breakfasts, a portable BBQ and a Guest Laundry for your convenience. We hope to welcome you to Fox Glacier soon. Myra, John and our son Jamie, Motel Managers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Lake Matheson Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.