“Probably the most relaxed 5 days of my Life!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   173 Owen Valley East Road, Murchison 7077, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
Stay 5 Nights & Pay for 4
Hong Kong, China
“Probably the most relaxed 5 days of my Life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

What can I say! Great People, Great Lodge, Great Food and Great Fishing! Owens River Lodge has it all! Felix and the crew made me feel at ease from the first to the last minute of my stay! Probably the most relaxed 5 days of my life, I didn't want to leave! I will be back next year!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We are staying at 3 top rated lodges in New Zealand. Owen River Lodge is our first stop. If I could, I'd cancel the rest of the accommodations and stay at Owen River Lodge for the rest of our vacation. The fishing is world class, our guide, Steve is very experienced, hard working and delightful to be with. The lodge is sophisticated, yet warm and charming. I feel very comfortable here. Ryan, our chef is a talented and imaginative young chef. We throughly enjoyed every meal he prepared .... each different, each delicious and flavored with herbs from the kitchen garden. The desserts were appropriately rich and full of flavor. Bravo Ryan. Of course, an experience like Owen River Lodge doesn't just happen. Rather, it happens with the planning and daily oversight of the owner and manager, Felix Borenstein. If you're looking for the best New Zealand has to offer, then please consider Owen River Lodge. We'll be back. Sherry, San Francisco

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

My wife and I traveled to New Zealand with a group of anglers from the US and were fortunate to be able to stay at Owen River Lodge, a wonderful lodge in a beautiful valley overlooking the Owen River. Felix and all the fine folks at the lodge truly know how to make people feel special; no need goes unfilled and Felix and his staff have a way of making every guest feel special.

Owen River Lodge has a well deserved reputation as one of the world's finest lodges and we can certainly attest to the fact that it's reputation is well deserved. Excellent cabins, fabulous food and all the little extras that separate the good from the great. Owen River Lodge is truly on of the greats!

• Stayed February 2011
philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Excellent lodge-beautiful setting overlooking the Owen River, which is a superb trout stream. This was my 2nd 6 day stay at this lodge. The atmosphere is very relaxed. The food and service are superb. Felix is a great host-very witty. The lodge is situated near several of the best trout streams on the South Island, and Felix has several top-notch guides who are quite familiar with these streams. I highly recommend this lodge for trout fishermen, from beginners to experts. Since weather and fishing conditions can be quite variable, I would recommend at least a 3 day stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Benton, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We've stayed with Felix Borenstein at Owen River Lodge three times. We are trip leaders and host fly fishing trips for Frontiers International. We travel with groups of fishermen. We know that once we get to ORL our work is easy. Felix is a superb host, an excellent businessman, and he knows what it takes to be in the people business. Besides that he's a good fisherman! ORL has excellent lodging and over-the-top meals. Felix is very hospitable and accommodating. Our guests love him. He makes our job easy. We're already looking forward to our visit next year.

• Stayed February 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

One of the finest lodges I've seen -- anywhere. Located in a narrow valley several miles from the nearest town, it's quiet, relaxing and comfortable. The food is outstanding, as is the wine list. Felix and the staff will do whatever it takes to make your stay an enjoyable one.
The lodge is 50 yards from the river and some of the best fishing on the South Island. The guides are unsurpassed in both their knowledge of the fishery and their ability to put their client in the proper position to hook the most challenging fish.
This is the second year we've stayed at Owen River Lodge. We're coming back next year. Wouldn't miss it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Felix Borenstein, the owner and operator of Owen River Lodge, is a successful businessman and enthusiastic fisherman. He's got great guides and the fishing is as good as it can be in New Zealand. (In other words, it rained exactly when I was trying to catch fish so I was virtually skunked three out of four days, but the other day was outstanding -- I caught six fish including a handsome 8-lb brown trout.) But the interesting part is that Felix has also optimized to make the business successful by providing outstanding service and managing a first class facility. The rooms are clean and large and have excellent fixtures. The lodge itself is warm and comfortable. The meals are delicious. Etc. Etc. One small touch that I've never seen before -- the rooms have a fresh ground packet of coffee, a water heater and a French press plunger; the fist time I've ever been able to make a good cup of coffee in my room, even in most high-end urban hotels!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!