“Incredible brown trout fishing, guiding and hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of River Haven Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
River Haven Lodge
You added River Haven Lodge to your Saves list
RD 3 | Longford, Murchison 7077, New Zealand   |
Point Reyes Station, California
“Incredible brown trout fishing, guiding and hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

River Haven has it all. Scott Murray is a world class fly fishing guide. He knows the rivers and the brown trout. People return year after year from all parts of the world to fish with him.
The cabins at River Haven are extremely comfortable and Leya(Scott's) wife cooks fabulous breakfasts(eggs from their own chickens) and delicious dinners.
Highly recommended

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Goleta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Upon arriving at River Haven we were greeted very cordially by Leya and Scott Murray. The cabin we stayed in was very well appointed with kitchenette, big screen TV, generous bathroom with a nice shower and plenty of room for the two of us. Our meals were prepared by Leya and were delicious. She served a variety of food, each prepared and served elegantly. The hors d'oeuvres at the bar before dinner were very good and provided a great time to relive the days fishing adventures.

Our reason for being in New Zealand, however, was for the fly fishing and with Scotty as our guide we had a wonderful fishing experience. Scotty is an outstanding guide and he works very hard when he is on the river and is exceptionally good at spotting fish. This is critical when sight fishing for Brown trout. Even when he pointed out a trout and we knew where it was we had trouble seeing the fish. Left on our own we would have walked past 95% of the fish Scotty spotted. We had a few days with cold, cloudy, rainy and windy weather and even under these conditions Scotty found us fish. Fortunately Scotty had scheduled a helicopter trip on our only really sunny day, and we had one of the best days on the river in our 60+ years of fly fishing. On this day we landed 22 Brown trout between 4 and 7 pounds and cast to numerous others. Over half of the fish we landed were taken on dry flies. It doesn't get any better than that! Another thing that we should mention is that Scotty was very conscious of our walking and wading abilities. As older fishermen we have difficulty on rivers with large, slippery boulders or long distances to walk. The water he selected to fish fit our capabilities very well.

This was our third trip to New Zealand, but our first time staying with Leya and Scotty. We had an outstanding time and cannot overstate the importance of fishing with a good guide on any trip to New Zealand.

In summary, if you want outstanding fishing, excellent accommodations and five star cuisine contact Scotty and Leya at River Haven.

Dan and Dave Ellis

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am a fairly experienced international fly fisherman, but this was my first fishing trip to New Zealand. I had stopped by the lodge last year on a non fishing trip with my wife and decided Riverhaven was a good fit. The cottage accommodations were probably the nicest I have stayed in at any lodge, and the dinners and overall atmosphere was great. The fishing ( and catching) exceeded my expectations under the guidance of Scott Murray--an excellent guide with just the right mix of helpful hints ,but not overbearing--felt like I was fishing with a good friend. While you can't think too hard about the cost of a helicopter fly out, we had two superb fly out days, and I would strongly recommend that experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Beaudesert, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

When we drove up to River Haven Lodge, the greeting we received from Scott & Leya was equal to an old friends' reunion & we were made to feel very welcome. The Cabin Layout was exceptional & comfortable. The food prepared by Leya, was a gastronomic delight. The next morning, kitted out in thermo long-johns & boots & the vest in place, we headed off to the Mangles River, where, under the expert guidance & perfect Fly positioning, by Scott "The Trout" Murray, I was transformed from a novice, into a Brown Trout Fly Fisherman with my first & largest catch, being a 5 & 3/4 pound Beauty!, followed by 3 more fantastic fish. I recommend River Haven Lodge to all fishing fanatics who wish to take on the Mighty Brown Trout. Thank you Scott and Leya, Roger & Donna Boswell, Mundoolun, Queensland Australia.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kabul, Afghanistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Scott and Leya are excellent hosts, in a wounderfully maintained and quality built world class fishing lodge. My son Zack and I took a week and stayed at River Haven. We were limited by my son's short time away, so our experience although excellent, was too short. Take time to be with River Haven more than a week. You'll be glad you did. Even though this was my son's first fly fishing experience, our guide was able to get him on a fish and was able to experience New Zealand Brown Trout on the fly rod. EXCITING!! The welcoming feeling, accommodations, atmosphere, meals, professional fishing guide service, and overall experience was simply outstanding for a father-son trip, or for anyone. I highly recommend the River Haven experience to anyone looking for a great fishing experience in as beautiful a landscape and with as friendly hosts as you will find anywhere. I look forward to visiting my friends Scott and Leya again soon.
Bruce Fox
Hamer, Idaho
USA

Room Tip: The cabins are all appointed well, and have everything you would ever need. Kitchenettes, TV, and f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Stellenbosch, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have now fished with Scotty on 8 trips and can only say that he really is the best guide I have ever fished with. The quality of the fishing is out of this world, the food is excellent and the accomodation top notch. I will (and do) go back in a heartbeat as Scotty and Leya have really become friends. Visiting and fishing with them has become way more than just another fishing trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Fishing with Scott is always a joy, because from the moment you first meet him you are fishing with a friend, and because of his uncanny ability to find fish even in difficult conditions. Scott and his team are superb guides, and I learn so much being guided by these experts. Local knowledge is critical to fishing success, especially in New Zealand, and using the New Haven team maximises the fishing experience and gives opportunities to fish pristine water you would never discover otherwise. I have lodged and fished with Scotty for a number of years now, and it is one of the highlights of my fishing calendar because I know I am going to have a wonderful holiday and be challenged with great fishing. The accommodation at Haven Lodge is excellent and well set up for both fisherman and wives! Leya and Scotty are great hosts, and the food and wine is always very good. Very hard to go past this as a fishing destination in the South Island.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to River Haven Lodge? Share your experiences!