“The worst food I have ever eaten” 1 of 5 stars

State Highway 48, Whakapapa, Tongariro National Park, New Zealand
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Whakapapa
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“The worst food I have ever eaten”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at Chateau Tongariro and decided to eat here as we already felt ripped off and disappointed by the hotel.

Tussock is just across the road and owned by the hotel. There is not much choice in Whakapapa so we thought this would be a safe bet - how bad can fish and chips and a pizza be? The answer: worse than you could ever think possible.

I had a pepperoni pizza. It was quite simply disgusting. I ate a couple of slices (simply from hunger as we had been driving all day). When the waiter collected the plates up he asked me if anything had been wrong, I told him it was horrible and he just laughed! Unfortunately we had already paid so there wasn't much we could do about it except leave (hungry).

The barman who served us our drinks didn't even know how to use Eftpos to charge us (my husband had to explain it to him). It did not surprise me since the staff have clearly come from beneath rocks and had no customer service training (or catering training for that matter). I know it must be hard to get staff here, but my God, I never thought a pizza would be beyond the realms of a chef's repertoire.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Auckland
“Surprise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Arrived on a Saturday night with a group of 12, it was empty
We had come earlier in the afternoon for coffee but were sent away because the coffee machine wasn't working and didn't have great expectations because of our earlier experience but had limited options.

The bar man took a while to warm up but after a few rounds bought was much friendlier. Apparently there was a local 21st on so the kitchen was being run by their trainee chef who was trying to feed our table.

Surprisingly she did really well. Reasonable range of pub fare, reasonably priced and tasty. Meals came along at a reasonable pace and everyone enjoyed there meals particularly the burgers. We tried most of the menu between all of us and there were no major complaints.

Good effort and a good surprise. Not fine dining but that wasn't our expectation.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Might look for somewhere different next time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We came here after completing Tongariro Crossing as we were too tired to cook. I got the beef burger. The burger and chips were good, but the salad was so drenched in salad dressing that I couldn't eat it. Waitress could look a bit happier about her job. Good range of drinks and had Old Mout Cider on tap - yum. Did the trick and wasn't bad but might look at what else is around next time.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Great burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Great casual place for beer and burgers. Music is actually one of the good things about the place. Food is reasonable and excellent value.

Brisbane, Australia
“Poor choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The menu is very disappointing, the food was good but it was a let down considering some locals had recommended,

Visited September 2013