Our stay at the Skotel was extremely disaapointing. The place is dirty, musty with cobwebs in the room and the furniture has not been updated since the 1970's! There is nothing to do in the hotel once the sun has gone down and with only 3 TV channels and 3 small children in a cramped space with a terrible dinner menu that none of us could eat, we went to be bed, hungry, angry with blocked noses from the disgusting smell of dust or mould (not sure which or both) on beds that were so old and pillows that were flat. My son would not sleep on the bunk bed because it wobbled so much. At $185.00 for a superior room, there is nothing superior about the Skotel. Do no waste your money staying there! We would never have booked the hotel if we had known how bad it was. If we could have, we would have gone to the Chateau but there were no vacancies on the night. I would recommend staying in the village on the other side of the moujntain where there is something to do in the evenings and then drive back up the mountain in the morning to ski. I would thoroughly recommend Happy Valley for skiing for families with children. It was wonderful! Don't be fooled about the entertainment at Skotel, they have a very old area with encylopaedias to read and books so old it was laughable. They haved a cheek to be charging that kind of money. It is disgusting - please do not waste your money by staying there! The owner should be ashamed of such a place. Spend some money ont it. They are charging way too much! In Rotarua was paid $105.00 per night for a family of 5 with heaps of spare pillows and blankets and a very clean room and with entertainment everywhere and foxtel. Thsi guys is ripping everyone off! There is no place in the sections below to describe our awful experience at this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Skotel was established in the early 60s by a group of keen skiers who wanted the convenience of accommodation close to the ski-fields but more comfort than the ski lodges of that time. In 1986 it underwent a major expansion with the addition of restaurant, bar and other facilities. The old part of the building became the backpacker’s wing. Skotel has maintained its friendly informal atmosphere but now provides Qualmark three star accommodation and the exciting cuisine experiences of our new dinner menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Skotel Alpine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skotel Alpine Hotel Whakapapa Village
- Holiday Inn Tongariro National Park