This hotel is still a classic and worth visiting. Unfortunately, on this occasion the mountains were shrouded in mist but it was still an enjoyable experience. We had an excellent room with a view to the front of the hotel. The rooms could benefit from upgrading but we really had no complaints. Our main complaint was that having decided on price grounds to eat supper in the Pihanga cafe & T-Bar on the lower-ground floor of the hotel, we found that it had closed early (lack of diners). We were therefore forced to eat in the very stuffy Ruapehu Restaurant, which was largely empty at just after 8.45 and where the prices are outrageous (NZD50 for the cheapest bottle of wine on the list). I complained to the Duty Manager about the early closing of the cafe and the best I could achieve was a free cocktail. Given the prices, I would have expected a free bottle of wine. I ordered "wild" venison, which did not taste of wild venison (was it really wild?) and was overcooked. My green vegetable consisted of five beans, which I was assured was the standard quantity (really?). Rather than pay an absurd amount for a buffet breakfast, we crossed over the road and went to an excellent little cafe called Fergusson's Cafe – no bacon and eggs but very nice bakery items. I would return to this hotel but I would need to plan my meals (or spend a lot of money).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Orbitz, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park