The Bayview Chateau has a pretentious name; it aspires to live up to it BUT fails. It would be good if either done better or more cheaply, for us it hits nothing dead right which makes it a disappointment.
On arrival upgraded from superior, as booked, to executive; but room has smart but uncomfortable furniture, smart but very soft bed and a lighting scheme that means you can't read a book. I asked where the nearest door to the room was, it was the main door "you can drop off your bags and then drive to the car park immediately" - now if only they had mentioned there was a porter service. So up in the lift to find bags of dirty bedding in the corridor. The room was as above, oh, yes and the safe was locked when we got there. They were very coy about Internet costs so I didn't bother. At this price it should be included. The minibar was....use the telephone!
Dining was hilarious, told on arrival the booking was essential, we did and I doubt the room was 1/4 full. We were on a D, B&B package but were given the a la carte menu until I raised the issue. I then moved tables as the one we were directed to wobbled. We wanted water and kept having to ask for a refill to our glass as no jug was provided. I asked for a bottled beer and it arrived half poured, would I like them to pour the rest or could I manage? Food was adequate except for my sickly sweet Lemon and lime tart. Yes sir that is quite sweet, but the clue, to me, is in the title, Lemon and lime are both citrus fruits? Awful piped music too. Suggestion - Just aim at pleasing the customer not failing to deliver on a guess at what 1930s style might have been.
Sure, you can eat and sleep there but in a 3 week trip this was dollar for dollar the poorest hotel we stayed in over both islands of NZ ( and some cost much more and some much less). Poor value overall, it just annoyed me throughout the stay, and yes I did submit a feedback form on the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park