I always try to visit the Chateau Tongariro a couple of times a year and have done so since the 1980's. This wonderful iconic hotel is set on the side of Mount Ruapehu active Volcano in the Tongariro National Park, so its location is something special. The building itself has real character, not a glass tower but an impressive Chateau that takes a step back in time when life was more gracious. On a winters day sitting beside a crackling fire looking out at a snow covered mountain is magic. So the setting is amazing.
The service has also never disappointed, staff are friendly, courteous and always willing to help. The restaurant food is delicious. My latest excursion was to a dinner bed and breakfast function with a set menu, (a couple of choices offered for each part of the menu).
The rooms are more than adequate, some are a little tired but are still 4 star.
I can recommend this hotel for a wonderful romantic evening, or a family occasion. This year our whole family went there for Christmas Eve, Dinner bed and christmas morning. It was special. My grandchildren loved it, they took advantage of the swimming pool and movie theatre. We had a wonderful dinner preceeded by Christmas Carols, and enjoyed a breakfast buffet which surpasses most hotels, the only one I have found better was at Versace's Gold Coast, but that is another story.
I can give this hotel a 5 star recommendation, for a couple, family, business, or solo visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Agoda so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park