“Excellent Place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Warkworth Country Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warkworth
Warkworth Country Retreat
You added Warkworth Country Retreat to your Saves list
433 Woodcocks Road | Warkworth, Warkworth 0981, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
Free Wifi!
Ranked #2 of 21 Warkworth B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pukekohe, New Zealand
“Excellent Place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was an excellent place to stay, we arrived on short notice. Stunning quiet location.
Enjoyed extensive options for breakfast on the terrace with another couple who also stayed.
Our room was peaceful clean with a large lounge joining very reasonably priced. Short distance to Warkworth. Would come back again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thankyou for your kind words. Its a pleasure having so many nice people to share this beautiful place with. Your most welcome to come again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

This would have to be the best value accomodation on the Kowhai Coast.
Stunning quiet rural location, yet so close to Warkworth, friendly knowledgable host, reasonably priced, clean, private & well appointed suite.
Extensive options for breakfast enjoyed on the terrace loggia watching the steers graze, so peaceful & relaxing.
Self catering accomodation available in the barn would be great for a family or a group, I was traveling by myself & stayed in the lodge room with the bath. Great to luxuriate in after a days excursions.
Having pre-booked dinner for my arrival I enjoyed an extensive cheese board, fresh snapper caught that morning by Brian the host & a berry dessert.
A very pleasant & enjoyable stay I plan to repeat, it left me refreshed & invigorated after 3 nights but not long enough to explore the delights of the Kowhai Coast.

• Stayed December 2013
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to you coming again. Brian
Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the impressive and spacious accommodation in a beautiful rural setting a few kilometres out of Warkworth. The guest suite was spacious, and there was a very comfortable lounge and kitchenette.

Having read on Trip Advisor that the owner provided evening meals on request, we e-mailed a couple of days before we were due to arrive to ask for a meal. We did not get a reply, so assumed we would be able to have a meal when we arrived. Stuck in the notorious Warkworth traffic jam we phoned to say we would be late only to be told by the owner that he was going out for a picnic and he could not serve an evening meal. He would however leave us some fish in the fridge. Finally out of the traffic jam we let ourselves in, found the fish and micro-waved it. Later we managed to find the wi-fi code, and discovered that the owner had e-mailed an hour or so earlier, while we were on the road and could not receive the message, to say he was going out. He had not returned when we went to bed in a very unhappy mood.
When we went for breakfast about 8 we met Dianna, the maid, who told us the owner had gone off to play golf! We never met him yet! Dianna was helpfulness itself, and served us a delicious breakfast on the terrace which helped to restore our morale (the toasted bread was better than most bread we've tasted in NZ, and the fruit compote was absolutely delicious).

Dianna saved the day and upped this review by a grade or two - without her efforts the poor communications and poor evening hospitality would have meant a poor review. With proper communications it could have been excellent.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
I am terribly sorry for the confusion. I certainly received your email requesting meals. Due to my wife having passed away a few months ago I had arranged for Deanna to come in and prepare dinner for you as I had a family function to attend that evening. However all meals are prepared fresh to the clients requests and I delayed my departure till after 6.00 p.m. by which time it was getting too difficult for me to coordinate meal arrangements and so I offerred you fresh fish and full use of the Lodge kitchen at no charge. Had you been able to arrive earlier things would have fallen into place but alas this was not to be.

Deanna also prepared a complimentary snack for you to take with you the following day.

As compensation for your being inconvenienced I would like to offer a second night free voucher for you to use or give to a friend of your choosing. (Or two nights for the price of one)

I am sure I can manage better outcome for you next time.

Brian Edwards
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is an excellent Bed & Breakfast, very inviting and offering a lot of information about the area and places to visit. And exiting things to do together with Brian. We went with him for fishing our own fish and that was really excellent prepared and served the day after.
An exiting experience, fishing on the Great Ocean!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thankyou so much for enjoying your stay at my place.
It was a pleasure seeing you catch your first fish ever in the beautiful bountiful waters of Kawau bay. Best wishes for future holidays wherever they may take you.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is a delightful B and B in a beautiful setting! The room and lounge are new and fresh and spotlessly clean and the view across the paddocks is to die for! Situated a short 5min drive to the town centre this B and B is in a class of its own. Great value for money and the breakfasts and cheese platter were delicious.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thankyou so much for your review and so glad you enjoyed my place so much that you doubled your stay. I look forward to maybe seeing you again sometime.

Brian
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I took my wife away for a weekend only to discover the Warkworth Country Retreat was so much more than we expected, the owner was so helpful and it was a joy to stay there, nothing was a problem, even to the point of making sure we had the Nespresso capsules flavours that we liked. it was a change from the city living that we are used to so peaceful and relaxing my wife and I often go away for weekends and this one of the best we stayed in the Self Contained Accommodation which was very clean and did not disappoint. I highly recommend that if you need a non-stressed week end away then the Warkworth Country retreat Bed and Breakfast as one of the best we have stayed in.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We chose the barn as website mentions privacy, relaxing and kitchen. The kitchen is fine. The furnishings downstairs simple but fresh.

However, found it neither private nor relaxing. Location is great, hosts pleasant but the only view from the barn is the main house and gravel driveaway. Despite being in the countryside it feels claustrophobic to have such a large house looming over you from inside or sitting outside the barn. Since the windows also face the house front door it also doesn't feel private inside. Not helped by the fact the half of the barn is the main garage with large noisy roller doors.

I have attached three photos which give a less flattering but far more realistic view than the hosts website. I would recommend the property in one of the suite rooms, provided a full kitchen is not needed but would not recommend the barn.

Room Tip: Stick to the suites or look at the alternatives more closely (eg matakana)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
I have been sick for two days after reading this the very first review that has not given us a 100% satisfaction rating. Firstly the reviewer is correct that this apartment is part of our main farm barn and does have several metal roller doors which can be noisy when being opened (but they are standard domestic size doors) but I do have a policy of not using these when there are guests in the accommodation and so distressed that I must have mistakenly broke my own rules. I shall endeavour to be more careful in future. However I am disappointed in the reviewers comments with regards to value and privacy. This unit is at the rear of our property and so the end of the 500 m driveway and is quiet and private. The part of the main Lodge building that "overlooks" the unit is the 6m high atrium lobby and since nobody is that tall does not impact on the privacy. The unit is provided with curtains and blinds. The unit is primarially intended for longer stays of 4-5 days and after the first day we only charge $100 per night or $500 per night for 5 days primarially for people undertaking training at the nearby institute or short courses at the college. The unit has a full kitchen, lounge separate bathroom, separate upstairs bedroom, free wifi etc and is very new. Guests have full access to the public areas of the main Lodge including the magnificent views from the front. Even the local backpackers charges $60 per night for two people with totally shared facilities in a suburban street adjacent the main highway north. Units of this standard at Matakana cost $200-$300 per night. I have several had multiple bookings for this unit including a family returning from England for their second five day stay in January. I strive to deliver an excellent product at a very low price. Guests wanting the full WCR Lodge experience pay almost twice the price and had I known the reviewer was less than 100% satisfied I would have willingly transferred them to the main Lodge at my expense as clearly their budget did not match their expectations

Been to Warkworth Country Retreat? Share your experiences!