“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Manukau B&B and Inns
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

On arrival I was greeted with the owner who did not smile once. She was very rude and unaccommodating. The room was adequate although the TV in the lounge had an unwatchable reception. I asked to have this fixed - twice. Someone came to have a play around with it and it got a little better- for about 15 minutes. There were only 2 pillows on the bed so on day 2 I asked for more. Bad move. Again another very frosty response from owner.Having changed my booking from one night to two nights the previous week and having had confirmation of this booking I did not check out at 10am only to be called by the owner and treated in a very humiliating way. When I showed her the email confirming my change of booking - no apology was offered. The bathroom had no natural lighting and only one dim light bulb. The other light bulb was blown leaving the bathroom very dark. There werent enough power outlets so I had to turn the heater off in order to use the electric blanket. On checking out the next day not one word was said to me. No smile offered. She just took my money and turned away. The worst display of hospitality I have ever experienced. Ever

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Roseburg, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This is an older property with low-end furnishings but rooms have been well-maintained and are immaculate. The kitchen was well supplied for all basic cooking needs. There is a prohibition against cooking with curries, spices and seafood. An extra charge is imposed for breaking this rule. Wifi available for $3/hour. It is a short walk to a Valentines for buffet dinner with full bar. This is a reasonably good choice for those planning to visit the Auckland Botanical Gardens, especially if a kitchen is desired. Road noise from adjacent motorway may be a problem for light sleepers.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

It was an odd stay but enjoyable. Obviously the Motel was in the process or nearing the end of a renovation. At first I had booked a standard room @ $99.00 per room. It was rather run down but looked acceptable for a place to lay your head. However, once the door was locked I found it still opened to leave a gap big enough to stick your hand through and unlock the door... When I asked the owner to fix it, clearly it would not be a quick job so I ask if I can change rooms. They were happy to switch me but to my surprise they wanted me to pay the $35 extra for the premium room! The lock was bent so there is no way they would not know about it before putting me into this room. The new room I was in was very nice though. One of the best motel rooms I have seen but still not completely happy as if I knew I would end up paying $135.00 I would have gone up the road to the next Motel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Manukau Heights Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!