“Close enough but not in the middle” 3 of 5 stars

You added Kon - Tiki Hostal to your Saves list
Kon - Tiki Hostal
Camino izquierdo, despues del puente del estero., Montanita 5939, Ecuador   |
Key West, Florida, United States
“Close enough but not in the middle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hostal Kon tiki is a pleasant enough place. Run by a man named Jorge. It is a quick five minute walk into the middle of Montanita. You are far away enough to not need earplugs on a weekend, but it is close enough to feel involved in all. The rooms are small and the shower sporadically warm, and you will have to ask for a blanket, because there was only a sheet. But for $20 it was ok for a few nights.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Quito, Ecuador
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I did not find this Hostal to live up to its advertising. It is very rustic. Says that it has a kitchenette, yes but it is invaded by two cats and has a refrigerator that does not work. The owner decide that the first floor would be best for me. Ones personal belongings are not safe in this establishment. My new semi-precious green stone $75.00 Sterling Silver Earrings purchased in Quito were stolen from my green bag. They had never been worn. Housekeeping was not satisfactory and the bed was horrible! I developed an allergic reaction from with the dust from the probably foam mattress that also left the imprint of parts of my body. I was on the bed for a few minutes. The management wrote to Bookinb.com that it uses air freshners to cover up any moldy scent since the area is humid. The odor that I experienced was overpowering. I paid the no-show price $24.00 and did not spend a night there. The owner had told me that I booked for four nights and that I should pay for them. He also falsified his establishment and refuted my opinion of my experience to Booking.Com and refused to refund my $24.00. Also, the night that I reported Kon-tiki, there was a post that it was not taking more reservations so I could not do my review then. This was probably in anticipation of my bad report. I sent an extensive review of my experience to Booking.com. that was denied by Kon-tiki management. Also, I found a suitable hotel just across the river for $15 per night that I would highly recommend that had proper facilities for cooking ones own meals and had excellent housekeeping.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Quito, Ecuador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

While the room wasn't too clean (bathroom probably hadn't been cleaned) and our room perpetually smelled musty, the price and location were great. It wasn't too far away to enjoy the nightlife, but it gave some distance from the loud noise of town. It was also very close to the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Wow. This place looked decent enough but my girlfriend and I were robbed in the night while sleeping and our door shut and locked. They took everything and the next morning when we confronted the english speaking employee he would not look us in the eye and did not seemed concerned at all that we were victimized. we definitely suspect an inside job and besides that the locks and security are about as good as sleeping in a tent on the beach. Dont support this kind of hostal. there are plenty of good safe ones in montanitia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kon - Tiki H, Propietario at Kon - Tiki Hostal, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
First, I'd like to say that the guest were very, very suspicious people. They acted "nervous" for the thought robbery, but when I turned my back just a second, I found them laughing and smiling, that doesn't make sense at all, when you are worried about something the last thing you think of is laughing. Then I have to say that the rooms in our Hostal are very secure, their locks are in good conditions and the doors are made of a hard and firm wood. When a person shows in our Hostal and check-in we give him/her the key to his/her room and show him/her where it is located. After that their personal properties and the room in general are total responsability of the guests. If they left the door open or without lock, we are very sorry but there's nothing we can't do about it.

To end I'll say that they wanted us to give them money and wanted to check all of the Hostal included our home!!!!!! That's a really really serious accusation!! We can sue them for that, so please, stop saying lies and assume your responsability on your lost stuff.
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

It is a three minute walk to beach, but at the same time not in the center of all the noise in town (in case you want to sleep). It is spacious, clean,open, and has a very home-y feel. Furthermore, they have wifi, a kitchen, and the owner is very kind and helpful with anything you need. When I come back to Montanita, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kon - Tiki Hostal? Share your experiences!