“Best hostel in Montanita” 5 of 5 stars

Casa del Sol
La Punta, Montanita, Ecuador   |
Ranked #8 of 43 Montanita B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Best hostel in Montanita”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at Casa del sol for a month and I loved it. Great breakfasts every morning, super friendly staff, nice rooms, good hangout areas, Sunday night movies and 10 second walk from the beach. The bar was well priced and you could always sit down and have someone to talk to. I will for sure be back one day!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cuenca, Ecuador
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

For $20 a night, you can't be demanding outside the basics. The basics are:

- Clean room and bed
- Some rooms have AC and huge ceiling fan, others just the ceiling fan
- Set back from the beach in a cozy enclave behind other hostals
- Quiet...away from the party noise of central Montanita...but within walking distance
- Nice patio/courtyard to hang out, veg, chat with others at the outside bar
- Parking
- Enjoy the local dogs and kitties that hang out there, too (very pet friendly)
- Friendly low-key staff

Aside from that, I wish that:

- My room didn't have some sort of strong odor...chemical? Mold? Age? AC? Dunno
- Breakfast, though yummy with fruit/yogurt and muffin, included some protein like at least an egg
- it wasn't so awkward to get into the bathroom, squishing myself between the door and the shower to get to the toilet
- bar drinks weren't so light on the pour ($4 for 1/2 inch of booze)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
tamara a, Owner at Casa del Sol, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Hola,

Thank you so much for your review and concerns. We try our best to take everything thing into account and make changes to better the hotel and our guests experiences here!

In regards to the drinks at the bar, our basic bar rail is $3.50 for 2 ounces, if you are drinking whiskey or anything imported it is more expensive as there are incredibly high import taxes here in Ecuador.

We do our best to keep the rooms fresh. They get cleaned everyday but unfortunately we do live in a humid environment and there are some things we can't control.

I hope you did enjoy your time here and in Montanita. Again, thank you for taking the time write a review!

Saludos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

A great Hostel that attracts wonderfull people and has a wonderfull staff.
I felt great from the moment I arrived and had a really hard time leaving.
The spanish school there is a great way to learn some spanish, the joga clases are great and the rent for the surfboards is dirt cheap. I absolutely love this place

• Stayed November 2013
Cuenca, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

A huge thanks to the awesome team at Casa for an amazing two weeks. Spanish classes were great and the people amazing. Casa del Sol is a fantastic place to enjoy Montanita and I won't forget that Halloween party for a long time! Recommend to all in a heartbeat.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Wasagaming, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was a great place to stay. A short walk to all the action, great little restaurants nearby, and great people working here and super fun sitting at their bar and having a beer and meeting good people. One thing that I found rather frustrating however was their water situation. There is no access to drinking water when their bar closes, which means when you come back from an evening of partying you better have remembered to buy bottled water. These bottles also cause a lot of waste... I know they take their feedback seriously and I would recommend they buy the big fillable water jugs and have them available to your guest. I know many other places in Ecuador do this.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
tamara a, Owner at Casa del Sol, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hola Annik,

Thank you so much for your review. We feel the same way about plastic waste, and we do offer unlimited water refills from the big water jugs for $1 a day. This has drastically reduced the amount of plastic that we as a hotel are consuming.

In regards to the bar being closed at 2am, we have chosen to do that so our guests can get a peaceful sleep. We prefer the party to stay in town.

Hope this finds you well!

Tamara
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I came to Casa del Sol in Montañita for a week of Spanish and surfing, and a little break from travelling. I left after two weeks and could happily have stayed longer.

Casa del Sol is on the point at Montañita - the perfect location for surfing - and they have boards you can rent. It's about a 10 minute walk from town which means its nice and quiet for sleeping but close enough to walk in and party.

The food there is awesome - both Juanito and Wendy's breakfasts and Tom's lunches and dinners are amazing - the French toast for breakfast was the best I have ever had!

All of the people there, guests and staff alike, are like a big family and are very welcoming. I went to birthday parties and a wedding while staying there, I partied in town, stayed at casa del sol and hung out at the bar and watched movies and documentaries in the monkey lounge.

This was by far the friendliest place I stayed throughout central and northern South America. Thank you to everyone there who made my stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My last stop in Ecuador was definitely the best place i've stayed, mainly due to the staff at Casa Del Sol.
I stayed 2 nights in a cheaper hostel closer to town but wish i'd known about Casa Del Sol from the start.

Great Location:
Being at La Punta is not only perfect for a surfer like myself but also the distance from town is great. Close enough to walk (or borrow a bicycle for free!) but far enough to be able to get some sleep. A couple of hundred metres closer & you still hear town through ear-plugs.

Room:
I stayed in room 1. Comfy double bed, fan, hot shower with soap provided, windows with fly screens, & it was cleaned beautifully by housekeeping everyday. What more do you need on your own or as a couple?
I walked out my door and was metres from the bar, breakfast, my Spanish classroom, the yoga studio & only had to cross the road to be at the beach. No issues with noise at all.

Inclusions & extras:
My Spanish classes were great. Isabel is an excellant teacher & i hear Miguel is also amazing. They have packages that made my accomodation cheaper!
They have different types of Yoga at different times of the day so you can always make one if you want to.
The included breakfast daily was so good! Something different each day & you can ask if you need a variation for taste or dietary needs.
Lunch & dinners by Tom were also awesome. Comparable price to town without having to go there makes life a lot easier.
Free movie nights & other things are always happening also. And guests vote on what to watch rather than being told what's showing.
Free coffee all day too!

Staff:
I left the best til last. From the moment i showed up unexpectedly on a Monday morning wanting to do everything - spanish, surfboard hire, yoga & stay - nothing was a problem. Straight into a group class an hour later after recieving breakfast, got my room, grabbed a nice board from the stock they had & surfed, then did the late afternoon yoga class.
You only need to walk past the bar & you meet everybody who works there as well as other guests. I instantly felt like i was at home there because everyone was so warm & welcoming.
I only had 4 nights due to being on a longer trip of south america but could've stayed months (which some people do).
I'll definitely be back & recommend Casa Del Sol to anybody visiting Montañita.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Casa del Sol? Share your experiences!