“A true paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hosteria Septimo Paraiso

You added Hosteria Septimo Paraiso to your Saves list
Hosteria Septimo Paraiso
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   2Km from the Y of Mindo via Mindo, Mindo, Ecuador   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Mindo B&B and Inns
Berwick, Maine
“A true paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I chose El Septimo Paraiso in advance because I wanted to explore the Ecuadorian cloud forest after a trip to the Galapagos. At that point I was traveling solo and wanted to settle into a safe and comfortable spot that would offer opportunities for bird watching and wildlife viewing, and Septimo Paraiso turned out to be just perfect. Hostess Lorena was exceedingly friendly and helpful. For my 3-night stay, she had booked me into a suite complete with a 4-poster bed, private bathroom and a small outdoor deck. The view and sounds from my open windows were peaceful and mesmerizing. On my arrival, I told Lorena that I was interested in birds, flowers and wildlife, and she arranged for in-house naturalist, Angel, to take me on an early morning bird walks and two night safaris. These trips were fantastic, and as a serious photo-enthusiast I can attest that I took some of the best photos of my life on the night-time walks (tree frogs, lizards, insects, and spiders, oh my!). These guided tours were included in the $99/day rate, as were my 3 meals a day. The food was excellent and varied, home-made by their chef, and included locally-sourced food and fresh squeezed juices. Wine, beer and spirits were available with meals or as night caps (or anytime, really!). I chose to spend my first two days entirely on the vast property, hiking trails and lounging by the hot tub & pool after the long walks. But once I was ready to explore nearby Mindo, Lorena offered to arrange some tours for me at additional, but reasonable, costs. I went to a butterfly farm and a zipline ride above the canopy, but other options included river tubing, tours of a chocolate factory, coffee roasters, etc. I was picked up and dropped off at the hosteria and Angel the naturalist accompanied me, pointing out wildlife along the way. I had an amazing experience staying here and can highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso after a trip to the Galapagos Islands. We had spent a couple of days at El Monte Lodge which was more to our liking. If you're very much into bird watching then this place is probably good for you. Anna was exceptionally helpful and was always ready to answer questions we had. On the food front I thought it was a bit over priced compared the inclusive meals you get at El Monte which are very tasty.

There's a nice pool and games area on the ground. As the weather wasn't too great we ended up playing a lot of pool. The website shows a WiFi logo but this wasn't available when we were there.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Septimo Paraiso is located in the Cloud Forest or Mystic Forest, at an elevation of 1550 m. The cloud forest is famous for the biodiversity it has to offer and the clouds. We have 342 species of birds and you are correct the majority of our visitors are nature and bird lovers. We offer a fantastic trail system to observer them and most of our guest get up really early (4.30am) to enjoy bird watching here. We also have within our reserve other animals: taira, deer, spectacle bear, puma, kinkajou, armadillo, and more.
Our food is made daily and we specialize in country food. We keep very high standards of service and make efforts to always keep improving. I am sorry you did not enjoy you stay to the full and hope that maybe next time you might try some birding or the night safaris so you can experience what we have to offer.
Thank you for your comment about the Wi-Fi, we had trouble with the service provider for some time before when you visited us. I decided to cancel they service because it was not very good. I acquired several USB internet modems for our guests unfortunately they do not work with I Pads. Next January 2013 we will have in service a small Business Center with internet access, printer and a flat 18’’ screen.
I wish you well during your future travels and a fantastic New Year!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Septimo Paraiso is a magic spot in a truly beautiful setting. We had a romantic and secluded room overlooking the garden. The food was the best we found in Ecuador and Ana, the owner, is the most gracious and lovely host! We had coffee grown and roasted by Ana's husband Tommy. Ana not only made our stay at Septimo Paraiso delightful, but she also helped us plan our subsequent adventures. This is absolutely a must stay!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We came to the Mindo area as part of our first visit to Ecuador. The primary purpose of the trip was bird watching.

I will comment on the notably positive and negative.

Positive: Fabulous grounds with wide variety of birds; up to 30 hummingbird feeders with nonstop action during the daylight hours; quiet; professional and responsive staff; beautiful dining room with good food.

Negative - No hot water to take shower the first night (staff took care of this); power outage (tolerable); during torrential rain water came into room and soaked half of a bed; rooms dated but serviceable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your comment. We take special care in the day to day maintenance of the lodge and we keep a very high standard of service.
I regret the inconvenience you had during your stay at Septimo. That day the rain was very strong and just above your bed is room 11 that has a small balcony. Because of the wind and the terrible amount of rain the leafs blocked the balcony drain causing a small flooding and the subsequent accidental drip to your room. We have taken measures so this will not happened again, we made two more drains in the balcony and covered the walls with “Chova” a water proof material.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a comment, this allows us to keep up our high standard of service and to continuously improve our lodge.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Septimo Paraiso near Mindo Ecuador may not be a hotel for everyone, but if you are a birdwatcher interested in birding the Mindo area - which is fantastic for birds - then this birding lodge is THE place to stay! As a bird tour leader for the past 25 years, and now owner of my own company Avian Journeys, I have stayed at many lodges in Ecuador, and other countries in Central and South America, and I have never felt more at home than at Septimo Paraiso. The lodge is situated in a beautiful forested valley, with fabulous birding right outside the front door! The lodge itself is a large wood structure - very eco-friendly constructed with recycled materials - with several separate bedrooms, each with it's own bathroom. It is perfect for a tour group, but also excellent for the individual traveler. The owner, Anna Lucia, personally makes everyone feel at home - and in fact it is like staying in her home! The food is excellent - lots of delicious home made recipes. Most important, they are VERY accommodating to the birding group, with flexible dining times (especially early breakfast). There is an excellent trail system on the property, and it is very well-situated for visits to many of the Mindo area birding locations, including Angel Paz, Milpe, Rio Silanche, and Tandayapa. I have stayed at several of the other lodges in the Mindo area, and I would highly recommend Septimo Paraiso as the place to stay.

Room Tip: Room number 10 has a mall balcony from which one can sometimes see Black-and-white Owl!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Arlington, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

The birdwatching on the grounds is wonderful; however, the bed and bedding in my room were very damp and stank of mildew. The staff needs to pay better attention to keeping ahead of the mold, airing the rooms and drying the linens.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
I apologies for the inconvenience you had and that our service was not up to our usual standard. I am investigating the matter further and I will make sure it will not happened again. We have several dehumidifiers at the lodge that helps us maintain the humidity of the cloud forest out of the rooms; these machines absorb the excess humidity of the air and the linens. However during the rainy season it is a very hard task to achieve.
I must thank you for your comment because it makes us correct our mistakes and keep a high quality of service.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Our Moon book dont have this hotel, but a taxi driver recomend this hotel to us... and for us was a really paradise (paraiso), !! is a place for relax, our room was great, confortable, hot water, the food is great, have a big pool (we dont use it, was cold), the hummingbird garden is the best!! we spent hours there!! this a hotel to relax and be unplugged. but you can bring your laptop and have wii fi . is NOt close to the Mindo downtown, if you want to go to other place (waterfalls, canopy, etc) the hotel can call a taxi (the taxi rate is $.4.00 aprox) Lorena (the manager/reception) was so nice with us!! very helpful, gave us all kind of recomendations (activities, restaurantes, etc) and the kitchen/garden staff is very friendly!... we highly recomend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hosteria Septimo Paraiso? Share your experiences!