“Historic and Lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orchard Street Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Bedford
Orchard Street Manor
Save Saved
You added Orchard Street Manor to your Saves list
139 Orchard Street, New Bedford, MA 02740   |
Ranked #1 of 5 New Bedford B&B and Inns
CT
“Historic and Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This elegant whaling mansion made into a B&B was so delightful and it's owner so hospitable that I visited twice in three weeks this Summer! Easily accessible from the highway in a lovely and historic part of town, this restored mansion is a veritable museum filled with both whaling mementoes and treasures collected by the present family who have lived throughout the world. The oval dining room, made entirely of chestnut panels is absolutely stunning, as is the sweeping staircase leading up to the guest rooms.
Knowing that I could not eat nuts or seeds, the lovely innkeeper actually seeded strawberries for my breakfast and made oatmeal the long way, by soaking the oats overnight. I was directed to the Whaling Museum down the street and to local antique shops which were not at all a disappointment. I'm only sad that my grandkids will have to be at least 12 years old before they are old enough to stay overnight!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Rockland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

What a great place to spend a weekend! My wife and I have been attending New Bedford Summerfest for years and the Orchard Street Manor is the best venue for walking and enjoying the quaintness of the historical district. Al Saulniers is a terrific host who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the vicinity that he cheerfully shares with thoroughness, clarity, and a spontaneous history lesson. The rooms are most comfortable and full of period furnishings of the heyday of the Whaling City. The common areas downstairs comprise a virtual museum of artistic artifacts from around the world, with photos of some very interesting political characters of the area, the nation, and the world. With a fruit filled breakfast, homemade muffins, great coffee/tea/juice, and always interesting conversation from the guests and the host, you are ready to explore the treasures of Southeastern Massachusetts. If looking for comfort, a secure location, and great hospitality, then this is the place for you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

Although I live in Massachusetts, I decided to stay overnight in New Bedford, given a 2-day conference I was attending there. I was fortunate enough to find the Orchard Street Manor and loved it!

The host could not have been more gracious and welcoming. The home is filled with treasures and history about the Sea Captain whose home it was originally.

The rooms are spacious and filled with large towels and lots of reading materials. I stayed in the Green Room and found the mattress to be one of the most comfortable I've ever experienced at an Inn or B&B.

I really wanted to eat at a Portuguese restaurant and Al kindly directed me to Antonio's, a local gem with generous portions and reasonable prices. I had a marinated pork sandwich and it was excellent. The service was outstanding and clearly lots of regulars dine there frequently, as many were greeted by name.

Breakfast at the Manor was a fresh fruit smoothie and freshly baked muffins. The coffee was strong (as I like it) and it was a wonderful way to start the day.

I highly recommend the Orchard Street Manor.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

Since I am from New Bedford and still have family there, I travel there quite often (at least once each season). Once I discovered The Orchard Street Manor I have stayed there ever since. Al and Suzanne always make me feel as though I have come home, sitting at breakfast with me and sharing all that has happened in town since my last visit. The accommodations are wonderful, beautifully furnished in a combination of period furniture and decorated with an array of items from their world travels. They have frequently arranged restaurant meals for me, assisted with contacts with local merchants, and always prepared a delightful breakfast with warm freshly backed muffins. I will never forget their support and help when I returned unexpectedly for my father's funeral after his sudden death. I look forward to "coming home" to the Inn.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Orchard Street Manor? Share your experiences!