“Quiet stay in a lovingly maintained house” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Orchard Street Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Bedford
Orchard Street Manor
Save Saved
You added Orchard Street Manor to your Saves list
139 Orchard Street, New Bedford, MA 02740   |
Ranked #1 of 5 New Bedford B&B and Inns
Ridgewood, NJ
“Quiet stay in a lovingly maintained house”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

On the way to the Cape, we decided to take an extra day and see some more of the coast. We found the web site for the Orchard Manor house to be inviting and the rooms to be well appointed. We were not disappointed in the rooms. We choose the Green Room which was nicely decorated, spacious and very clean. The room is as bright as the picture on the website and plenty of room to spread out. The bathroom even has a double sink.

We were given an extensive tour of the house and its unique architectural design and history. There are many pictures of the house and the town and complete with an explanatory note on the wall.

There was a little balcony off the main staircase, where we could read and enjoy the breeze. The bed was very hard but was fine for one night. The breakfast that takes place at 9 AM was an artfully designed plate of fruit, a slice of this, a puree of that.. and a muffin. The owner provided us with a full description of his working in the governments of Morocco and Peru. As an American adviser, he seemed to play a direct role in the foreign governments.

Driving to the inn, we were routed though some less desirable sections of New Bedford. The neighborhood of the inn, is a pleasant place to take an evening walk. There are many large restored houses but also some in desperate need of restoration.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cranford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. It is a pretty, well-maintained B&B. The host, Al, was very gregarious and regaled with stores and history of the home. We stayed in the Blue Room which was spacious, but sounds could be easily be heard through the door to the joining room. My neighbor joked to me that she thought I was I in her room with her. The bathroom was very small. The window didn't open. So, we had to use the a/c even though we did not need it. I was surprised to find that a clock radio was not available. The breakfast was the same each morning with a slice of melon with a fruit puree and a homemade muffin. Cereal was also available. Our host was very helpful in assisting us to find restaurants. One of the rooms on the main floor has a pool table which was fun. There was a small porch on the second floor which was pleasant for a predinner drink. The Inn is an historic district. We took walking tours of the surrounding area and were able to walk to the downtown to our restaurant (less than a mile).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Again I had the pleasure of staying with Al Saulniers and finally meeting his wife Suzanne, whom I wished lived down the block from me in CT so we could continue our conversations. They are an enchanting duo, each brilliant in their knowledge of things like Pakistan, antique rugs, furniture, rare baskets, not to mention being excellent inn keepers. Both of them zeroed into my interests and sent me on my way to wondrous museums, open studios and restaurants, and at the end of the day sat around and chatted with me abut discoveries, both theirs and mine,. At breakfast, which is always delicious and prepared specifically for each guest, I inquired about Fairhaven and received the best impromptu history lesson on that area. This is the home of two brilliant caring people who can really make memories for you. In their very elegant restored Whaling mansion you feel you have arrived home after a long time way, and home is better than you remembered.

Room Tip: All the rooms are stunning, private and desirable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We hadn't planned on spending the last night of our Massachussetts holiday in New Bedford but it seemed destiny pushed us there and into the arms of Al and Suzanne at Orchard Street Manor. Both genial and knowledgeable, Al provided a fascinating history of both this heritage home and the historic city it resides in, with dozens of fabulous old homes lining the streets on either side of the B&B (definitely worth a stroll!). A charming and comfortable room, a superb breakfast, uncommonly fine common areas...I understand New Bedford has very few hotels but why would you want to book one anyway when there is an alternative with such charm and character waiting for you here on Orchard Street?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Al and Suzanne Saulniers are the most amazing and wordly innkeepers I have ever met. They are gracious and laid back which makes the Orchard Street Manor even more comfortable, if that's possible. The Manor was built by a whaling ship captain many moons ago and is a stunning, elegant estate overlooking New Bedford harbor. The history and architecture of the Manor is amazing enough but Al and Suzanne have added their own eclectic style that comes from living all over the world and it works very well. Al is the resident historian and can talk for hours just on the history of the estate itself. With both innkeepers being multi-lingual, most foreign travelers are immediately referred to Orchard Street Manor by the New Bedford Visitors Center as evidenced by two German bicyclists who were biking across the United States and stopped in on a Saturday night to see if there was an extra room for rent...fortunately for them, Al/Suzanne took them in with open arms and made their trip to New Bedford that much more memorable. The Orchard Street Manor is a 5-star B&B and Al's gourmet breakfasts are magnificent. This is a must stay when in New Bedford or anywhere near it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Al and Suzanne have brought their love of New Bedford's history and their years of living abroad together in this fabulously restored home. Al will tell you about the sea captain who built it and the subsequent owners who led the various economic fields that dominated the city for periods--whaling, textiles, banking, and so on. The oval dining room paneled with hickory (a wood no longer available) was a great place for breakfasts. The rooms were quite comfortable. We would have appreciated some afternoon snacks to accompany our conversations with friends, but we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with our hosts and being in such a stimulating environment. Thanks for a great visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Pelham, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This place, and Al Saulnier especially, does more to promote New Bedford and it's marvelous history, than any advertising campaign or magazine ad. Even as a native born Massachusetts guy and lover of the South Coast beaches and villages, here's a city I've traditionally ignored as a dying factory town, and so I was completely amazed by its graceful, historic, and fascinating downtown.

We arrived at the Manor after a long, damp and dreary day of boatwork over at Westport Point, and so coming through this beautiful neighborhood was an interesting lift for us. Tired and worn out, we only wanted to eat and crash to get ready for another work day tomorrow, so when Al checked us in and started to point out some of the decorative features and architecture of his place, I thought to myself "Uh-oh, here comes a tedious historical tour," and prepared to trudge along until we got to our room.

As soon as we walked out of the office area, however, I knew this place was something special. The building's incredible architectural texture and authentic historical feel was immediately transporting. OK, I'd go along with the house tour for a while, then fall on the bed as soon as possible.

Now Al's an educator, and maybe it was his skill in that area, or maybe it was the immensity of New Bedford's history as one of the richest cultural U.S. cities in America's 1800s, but either way, I found myself more and more fascinated. The house seemed just as it might have been a hundred or more years ago, and the long list of its inhabitants and their stories awoke a historical curiosity in me, and before we actually reached our room, I was ready to wander around. To my amazement, I found myself developing a real connection with New Bedford's long and storied history. I really wished I weren't going to be working all day tomorrow...this would be a wonderful place to explore instead.

We ate at the incredible Margaret's restaurant just across the harbor in Fairhaven, recommended highly by Al, and living every bit up to that recommendation. Returning to the manor stuffed and tired and looked around as much as we could before we ran completely out of steam and crashed in the beautiful Green Room.

Well, we DID head back over to Westport the next morning, but not after exploring the neighborhood a little, and vowing to come back again when we could to spend some real time in this richly endowed city.

Thanks Al and Suzanne, for opening your house and your town to us. Oh, and for the excellent breakfast!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Orchard Street Manor? Share your experiences!