“Jewel of New Bedford” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Orchard Street Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Bedford
Orchard Street Manor
139 Orchard Street, New Bedford, MA 02740   |
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Jewel of New Bedford”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Al and Suzanne Saulniers are the most amazing and wordly innkeepers I have ever met. They are gracious and laid back which makes the Orchard Street Manor even more comfortable, if that's possible. The Manor was built by a whaling ship captain many moons ago and is a stunning, elegant estate overlooking New Bedford harbor. The history and architecture of the Manor is amazing enough but Al and Suzanne have added their own eclectic style that comes from living all over the world and it works very well. Al is the resident historian and can talk for hours just on the history of the estate itself. With both innkeepers being multi-lingual, most foreign travelers are immediately referred to Orchard Street Manor by the New Bedford Visitors Center as evidenced by two German bicyclists who were biking across the United States and stopped in on a Saturday night to see if there was an extra room for rent...fortunately for them, Al/Suzanne took them in with open arms and made their trip to New Bedford that much more memorable. The Orchard Street Manor is a 5-star B&B and Al's gourmet breakfasts are magnificent. This is a must stay when in New Bedford or anywhere near it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Al and Suzanne have brought their love of New Bedford's history and their years of living abroad together in this fabulously restored home. Al will tell you about the sea captain who built it and the subsequent owners who led the various economic fields that dominated the city for periods--whaling, textiles, banking, and so on. The oval dining room paneled with hickory (a wood no longer available) was a great place for breakfasts. The rooms were quite comfortable. We would have appreciated some afternoon snacks to accompany our conversations with friends, but we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with our hosts and being in such a stimulating environment. Thanks for a great visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Pelham, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

This place, and Al Saulnier especially, does more to promote New Bedford and it's marvelous history, than any advertising campaign or magazine ad. Even as a native born Massachusetts guy and lover of the South Coast beaches and villages, here's a city I've traditionally ignored as a dying factory town, and so I was completely amazed by its graceful, historic, and fascinating downtown.

We arrived at the Manor after a long, damp and dreary day of boatwork over at Westport Point, and so coming through this beautiful neighborhood was an interesting lift for us. Tired and worn out, we only wanted to eat and crash to get ready for another work day tomorrow, so when Al checked us in and started to point out some of the decorative features and architecture of his place, I thought to myself "Uh-oh, here comes a tedious historical tour," and prepared to trudge along until we got to our room.

As soon as we walked out of the office area, however, I knew this place was something special. The building's incredible architectural texture and authentic historical feel was immediately transporting. OK, I'd go along with the house tour for a while, then fall on the bed as soon as possible.

Now Al's an educator, and maybe it was his skill in that area, or maybe it was the immensity of New Bedford's history as one of the richest cultural U.S. cities in America's 1800s, but either way, I found myself more and more fascinated. The house seemed just as it might have been a hundred or more years ago, and the long list of its inhabitants and their stories awoke a historical curiosity in me, and before we actually reached our room, I was ready to wander around. To my amazement, I found myself developing a real connection with New Bedford's long and storied history. I really wished I weren't going to be working all day tomorrow...this would be a wonderful place to explore instead.

We ate at the incredible Margaret's restaurant just across the harbor in Fairhaven, recommended highly by Al, and living every bit up to that recommendation. Returning to the manor stuffed and tired and looked around as much as we could before we ran completely out of steam and crashed in the beautiful Green Room.

Well, we DID head back over to Westport the next morning, but not after exploring the neighborhood a little, and vowing to come back again when we could to spend some real time in this richly endowed city.

Thanks Al and Suzanne, for opening your house and your town to us. Oh, and for the excellent breakfast!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I agree with all the other reviewers that the Orchard Street Manor is a gem not only for the amenities but also for the owner, Al Saulniers. The whaling captain's home is beautifully and tastefully restored. All of the bedrooms were beautiful and ours included a large bathroom with double sinks and a footed bath tub.There are so many interesting pictures with the history of New Bedford to enjoy. Al is a wonderful host and has a wealth of information about New Bedford. He and his wife have lived all over the world and the conversation was most interesting.

The breakfast in the lovely,large oval dining room was delicious. Al joined us and we continued our conversation from the night before. He had given us a tour of the home along with history the night we arrived. I would recommend this B and B to everyone. Give yourself a treat!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

My fourth visit in a year attests to the fact that this is indeed a lovely destination. The innkeeper's suggestions for antiquing in the area were extremely helpful. The Glass Museum he introduced me to was an unexpected pleasure.
Spicy Lime Tai restaurant and The Ugly Gallery nearby added to my list of places to revisit the next time I'm in New Bedford.
A book in the living room with stories about Euell Gibbons and his food explorations was a fascinating read. The food is great, the rooms are period and charming and the inn keeper is a wealth of knowledge about the area.

Room Tip: The rooms are all lovely!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hartford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Maybe we should keep this a secret so others won't book the place, but that would not be fair in the spirit of Tripadvisor. The interior of the property is gorgeous - an expansive whaling mansion decorated with the keen eye of the host and hostess. The furniture and decorations range from the historical in keeping with the New Bedford whaling tradition to the various places around the globe where the owners lived - Morocco, Pakistan, Peru and Zaire. Our host was delightful, and we wished we had met his wife who was on a consulting assignment overseas. The breakfast was wonderful - fruit in a strawberry sauce along with fresh baked muffins. The best part was the dialogue with the owner. The B&B is located near the historical mansions which you can take a walking tour of. Don't miss the Whaling Museum and the National Park Service tour around the area near the Visitor Center - both are well worth the visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This elegant whaling mansion made into a B&B was so delightful and it's owner so hospitable that I visited twice in three weeks this Summer! Easily accessible from the highway in a lovely and historic part of town, this restored mansion is a veritable museum filled with both whaling mementoes and treasures collected by the present family who have lived throughout the world. The oval dining room, made entirely of chestnut panels is absolutely stunning, as is the sweeping staircase leading up to the guest rooms.
Knowing that I could not eat nuts or seeds, the lovely innkeeper actually seeded strawberries for my breakfast and made oatmeal the long way, by soaking the oats overnight. I was directed to the Whaling Museum down the street and to local antique shops which were not at all a disappointment. I'm only sad that my grandkids will have to be at least 12 years old before they are old enough to stay overnight!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Orchard Street Manor? Share your experiences!