“Good choice for Wailea or Makena. Long” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
San Diego
“Good choice for Wailea or Makena. Long”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

A great resort.
This was our last hotel after a 10 day stay on Maui We stayed here three nights. Our plan was to explore different sides of the Island while staying on each different side. We originally booked a 3 night stay at the Makena beach and golf resort but left after one hour. We were able to book a great rate at the Marriott just down the road with no notice.
I suppose if you think about it the Marriott is probably the next step up from the MBGR on this side of the Island as far as resorts go. A small step for man but a giant step for hotel kind. I had stayed at the Marriott previously.
The hotel is large with three separate pools. Those with kids will not like the long walk back and forth from the childrens pool. Equally adults without kids will want to stay close to the "serenity now" pool where no kids are allowed. You should ask for a room close to where you are going to hang.
The rooms are nice here. Quality bath fixtures. Very nice soft beds. And a room that tells you your not staying in the past.
There is no beach directly on the property. You have to make a walk either up or down the walkway to get to a sand beach. However what's in place of a beach is a great lava rock snorkeling spot all along the resorts water front. Some of the lava fingers run out into the deep where I found many Turtles just hanging out relaxing every day. I highly recommend an early morning snorkel every day. You can also see the turtles from above on kayaks that they rent on the Grand Wailea beach.
I can't believe a review that dogged the adult "serenity" pool. I urge everyone who reads these reviews and visits this pool to offer an opinion here. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the pool is great. But I don't prefer kids with my "serenity". You see I've had kids. I need a break now. There are private cabanas that jut out into the pool as if they are surrounded by water. $100 a day and highly sought after. Plan ahead if you want to splurge.
Another review said you needed to rent a car because of the lack of restaurants here. Wow! Maui is full of spots to see. Beaches to swim in. Waterfalls to hike to. That's what your car is for. There is a mall close by to walk to with great places to eat. There is also Duo, where Mickey of Hell's Kitchen fame works. Humuhumunukunukuapuaa is just a short stroll away. Spago, if you wallet allows, is also close by. Gez what do you want.
I do admit though that Mala at the Marriott still doesn't do it for me. Great table views but I haven't been lucky with it's food. The gal who is in charge still puts in her 12 hours a day however. Someone give that girl a raise. I can only recommend the Lisa special pizza. You have to ask for it special. It's not on the menu. Maybe Lisa should make the menu.
Your resort fee gets you....
Parking, 2 free drinks, bottled water daily, wireless internet. We also received a discount card for 20 percent off Mala restaurant. There is also a free airline check in computer.
Remember, you are in Wailea not Kihei. It's not close to the "spots". And what most do here is relax. It's not for the budget minded either. So bring some extra cash.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

This hotel is just perfect! Our family of 4 stayed here for one week and loved it. The grounds are beautiful and having a Starbucks on site is a bonus! The location right behind the Shops at Wailea is fantastic-you can just walk over any time of day or night for lunch, snacks or shopping. Mala restaurant has a fabulous breakfast(don't leave your fod unattended or the birds will swipe it-seriously-we saw it happen more than once). The kids pool is small and doesn't really seem like much of a kids pool since there is very little shallow space. But our kids are a little older and this was not a problem. We all loved the water slides and the kids really enjoyed the water play area. This area of Maui got extremely windy in the afternoon and the other pools were almost unusable-the wind is extreme. However the kids area felt a little more protected from the wind. It seems as if there used to be a snack shop right at the kids pool, but it was closed the entire time we were there-how nice it'd be if it were in operation and if there were some type of pool service offering food and drinks. The walking trail is fabulous and we used it every morning. What a view! Also looks like a wonderful luau although we did not attend. All in all we would stay here again in a heartbeat. Wailea is beautiful and has become our favorite part of the island.

Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010 via mobile

This was my second time visiting the Wailea Beach Marriott and I was disappointed this time around from the moment we arrived.

Our room was not ready when we arrived but we were ok with waiting until 4pm when we were told our room would be ready. We indicated to the front desk that this was our second time at the hotel. She immediately told us our room number from our last stay and noticed that I was a Marriott gold elite member. None of this should've been a surprise since I had called the hotel to request an upgrade or at least stay in the same building as last time.

Once 4pm rolled around I returned to the front desk to get our room key. After a 20 minute wait I was told the room was not yet ready. However they did give me the keys and asked dat I wait another 10 minutes. We waited 15 minutes before we went to the room and it still was not ready. By the time we did get to the room (5pm) we saw that the room was right over the hotel's delivery entrance. Needless to say we returned to the front desk for a room change.

During my initial 2 visits to the front desk I was told the hotel was sold out and there were no upgrades available. Nevertheless on my third visit to the front desk we somehow were upgraded to oceanfront.

Once in our room I noticed that the room seemed dirty. The white grout was more like brown, there was mildew in the bathroom, etc.

Our visit two years ago was great. This time they made me questioned why I was there at all. The staff just did their job nothing more. I didn't feel welcomed at any point and service was sporadic at best. The only exception was Anita at the pool. She made sure we were ok the entire time.

I've worked in the hotel business for many years and as a rule of thumb staff is trained to greet guests and make eye contact. This is not the case at the Marriott. Employees not once ackowledged us as we walked throughout the property. Before arriving at the Marriott we had stayed at the Hyatt Regency. This was a first time stay for me. I'm both a gold elite marriott member and a platinum member and I must say the Hyatt did a much better job. At the Marriott you only get an option to pay $20 for parking or a $25 resort fee. A the Hyatt you are exempt from any fees and you still have access to the regency club with continental bkfst, appetizers in the afternoon and desserts and after dinner drinks in the evening. Guess where Ill be staying next time?

By the way the Marriott now has a Starbucks in the lobby but don't bother. We gave them several tries in the mornings but they never had bagels, yogurt parfaits, etc. They seemed to have more items that cater to lunch rather than breakfast. Just drive to Kihei (10 minutes) to a true Starbucks and you'll find what you are looking for.

The best thing the Marriott has going is the location. There are some great restaurants such as Cuatro or Bistro 808 located just 10 minutes away. If you find another hotel in Wailea for about the same price as the Marriott go there.

• Stayed June 2010
Nipomo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Do not stay here if you want a pleasurable, relaxed stay...the adult pool feels like a cruise ship, dead bugs in my room, dirty tile floors, housekeeping waking you up even though
"do not disturb" was on door, front desk calling at 8am on a Sunday morning, no regard to their loyal business travelers returning for leisure....why bother having a rewards program if you are put in a room above the service entrance....this has been a terrible experience and I am only two days into a six night stay...,....never again!! Just because you are a high volume property does not excuse poor everything!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed for a week with our 2 young children. It's our 3rd trip to Maui. We last stayed at the Westin when our older one was a toddler. We decided to try the Wailea side this time. The resort was nice. The entrance lobby was like a 4 star hotel. But the kids pool area and the service was more of a 3 star. The pools are all pretty separated from each other. The kids pool is more like a small waterpark for the kids. They do have 2 really cool big slides that my older one loved. The kids of course wanted to play in the kids pool, so the adults are stuck around the 1 and 1/2 foot pool area. There is no pool side service in the kids pool. There is a separate pool up from the kids pool but the snack bar was closed the whole week we were there. I am not sure if it was ever open. The kids pool and the slides close at 4:45pm sharp.

The service was not that great. We had a problem with our fridge in the room and had to call twice before they did something about it. There are only 2 restaurants. There are also not that many activities for kids. No kids club. They've eliminated the lei greeting upon arrival. I am assuming it's due to the economy. This is probably a better resort for people without kids. We would recommend the Westin instead.

Mission Viejo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

My husband totally surprised me with an anniversary trip to Maui, and our stay at the Wailea Marriott (we used frequent flyer miles to get there, and frequest traveler points for the hotel - so I can't really comment on the value for the room price.) Overall it was a FANTASTIC trip, and our stay at the Marriott added to it all. We spent most of our days at the Infinitiy (adults only) pool. SOOO lovely and relaxing. Our server (3 of the 4 days) was ANITA ... she is an absolute GEM! Friendly, knowledgable, accomodating - really the best server ever ... and this was just at the pool!
The room was nice, but our location/view was not so great ... we overlooked a service entrance, but there were palm trees just beyond the driveway. I really loved the bed - soft yet firm - same with the pillows. The floor is not carpeted - large tiles. On the first day I was walking around the room barefoot, went onto the balcony and when I returned the bottom of my feet were black - I'm sure it was from the balcony; so I always wore flip flops on the balcony.
We did get the Resort Activity Card ... it is NOT mandatory as one poster suggested - but they do give it a good sell at check-in. Self-parking is $20 a day, and the Activity Card is $25 a day which INCLUDES parking ... so for the extra $5 a day we opted for the card. It does include a bunch of discounts, but not on much that we used. We did use it for our first meal in MaLa (20% off w/ card; our discount was about $10) and the two free drinks ($23 total), so for our 4 day stay the card paid for itself (we saved about $33 and paid an extra $20 for the card).
The food and drinks poolside were good ... but VERY pricey ($11 for MaiTais and other tropical drinks; $13-18 for most sandwiches) - we only ate at the pool the first day; we opted for big breakfasts (at the Mall next door) and skipped lunches for the remaining days poolside. We did order the Maui Onion Rings twice ... totally yummy and worth the $9.
We didn't use the Spa - I thought about a pedicure, but it was $65 plus an automatic 20% gratuity, so I quickly abandoned that thought. (They're only $15-20 at my neighborhood salon - I can get three at home for the price of one there! Sorry, vacation or no, I don't see the point in paying that much.) We looked at the Gym ... but I preferred to use the 3 mile (round trip) path along the beach at the back of the hotel for my daily exercise. (It's a nice run - hilly and beautiful, and you get to run past several other Wailea hotel properties.)
While we were there a band from California played in the bar each night ... they did jazz for about an hour and then dance tunes - they were college age kids and were SO good! We enjoyed the music two nights after we returned from dinner.
We loved the open-air lobby ... so unique and Hawaiian. The concierge and activities staff were always helpful - even for our mundance requests.
All in all, this was a great hotel for our relaxing vacation. We're not "nightlife" people ... so we thought this place was just terrific!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Williamsport, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

This is the first time I've ever written a review but after reading the mixed results on here I admit I was concerned. However after returning I felt compelled to share my experience. First I travel a LOT so I believe I'm pretty discerning (some say a travel bigot...but I won't go that far), but I feel I have a pretty fair perspective to draw from.

My family and I just returned from 10 nights at the Marriott in Wailea and we had an AWESOME time. Now we did get upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite in HALE 7 and it was great. Three (yes Three) balconies all ocean front. I could toss a baseball underhanded into the ocean if I wanted. The room itself is fine - nothing super special but a great location, comfortable, clean and the views were spectacular. Our location was close to the beach, close to the shops at Waliea and close to the pools - what more could you want??? I'm not sure how someone could complain about the location, the grounds or the pools.

The sunsets from the balconies were awesome as were my sunrise jogs along the path that runs between the resorts. As with Maui, everything is expensive - drinks and food by the pool was fine - expensive but again, you're in Maui. I can't comment on the value of the resort itself as I used Marriot rewards points for our entire stay (I did say I travel a lot, right?).

The resort fee is pretty standard today and I guess our timing was perfect as we had no problem with parking like others apparently have.

The hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful or more friendly including the folks at check-in; the gentlemen who handled our luggage; the wonderful waitresses at the pool along with the lovely lady who serviced our room. Particularly noteworthy was the concierge (Sarah) who bent over backwards helping us plan our time there - and she was spot on.

For those golfers reading this - I played the Plantation course at Kapalua and the Gold course at Wailea. Both had million dollar views, were player friendly, was first class and a great time. My only complaint is they're putting in an irrigation system at Kapaula so it wasn't in very good shape. Next time I'll definitely play the Wailea courses as they are on par (no pun intended) with any I've played.

Overall, we love the Wailea area. The shops at Wailea were very convenient for shopping or eating, most nights we just walked to dinner. The beaches, grounds and people all met or exceeded our expectations and this will definitely be one of our first options upon returning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!