“Fantastic holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Wailea
Houston, Texas, United States
“Fantastic holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is our first trip to Hawaii and Maui. We went there during the Christmas holidays and we really enjoyed our trip. The hotel is in the Wailea area which in my opinion is a very nice and quiet area. The weather at Wailea is always beautiful even on days when it was raining in other parts of Maui. The Marriott property has three pools. Our room has an ocean front view and it is overlooking the infinity pool. Every morning we woke up to a wonderful vista. We could see whales from the property. Every evening the sunset was magnificent. Being on the quieter side of Maui, it is easy for us to get to the all the attractions in Maui. For those who like to shop, the Shops at Wailea is just next door. The one thing the hotel need to work on is to add more washers and dryers.

Room Tip: Pay for a room with ocean front view overlooking the infinity pool. The sixth floor is the highest a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

1,908 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Luckily my family arrived the day before my fiance and I because the hotel didn't have a reservation for us! As the bride and groom who planned our wedding to be here for months in advance, I was pretty disappointed that they didn't have our reservation. My mom worked with Alan and he quickly fixed it for us though. Our first room was very nice, but I requested a change to one with a specifically ocean view because I was planning on taking wedding pictures on the balcony and I didn't want the main pool in my pictures. Again Alan was awesome at changing our room AND it was during a sold out weekend there for them. Michelle at the bellhop desk helped us and she was so great, we requested her for the rest of the trip whenever we moved! We had the breakfast included in our reservation and I'm sure glad we paid the little extra for it! The breakfast/brunch at the Mala was perfect every morning until they ran out of the GF waffles and GF toast. Tommy at the activities desk was one of the funniest people we've ever met and definitely the most helpful! Linda and Chuck were awesome people too and we were glad to have worked with any of the three of them to plan activities or rent gear. The luau at the hotel was awesome and the all-you-can-eat food was sumptuous. The dancers were gorgeous and the band was very relaxing also. Make a trip to the spa if you can too! Hot stone massage here is extremely relaxing and their complimentary spa services like the sauna and relaxation room are worth the cost. We will definitely stay here again for our next trip and hopefully our reservation will go more smoothly! I'd recommend staying here for any occasion, families or couples.

Room Tip: For couples, upgrade to the ocean view rooms and request Hale 7 on the 3rd floor or higher! For pri...
Green Features: Just like many hotels are doing these days, I appreciated the efforts to be eco-friendly, but our "we don't need housekeeping" sign kept blowing off the door handle and our room was cleaned everyday even though we didn't want/need it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have been to Maui and wailea many times. We usually stay at the Grand wailea. It decided to stay at the Marriott this time and would stay here again. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We stayed in an oceanfront room and watched the best sunsets we have ever seen from our ground floor balcony.We ate at the buffet breakfast each day and found the variety of food at the buffet was fantastic. Only problem was often there was a long line waiting at the omelette station and not convenient if you wanted a quick meal. The adult only infinity pool is beautiful and we even saw dolphins from here. The pool side food and cocktails were great with a lot of variety.
Big plus was the resort tax included self parking as you really need a car to truly enjoy Maui.

Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights before Christmas and would defiitely stay here again. The room was very large, comfortable and quiet. The staff and service were great. The only thing to note is that, though this property is oceanfront, it does not have a sandy beach. This was not a problem for us as we're pool people.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful grounds however I found it to be too spread apart to reach each pool. The infinity pool... Is alright. Not great. A lot of people not enough sitting above, which worked out for the four of us as we went below the pool onto the grass and enjoyed the view on the many chairs there. The greeting we were met with was very friendly... As is all the staff we met!
Our room could have used some updating, appeared to have a lot of water damage in the room. The bathroom... Seriously could use some lighting! The shower was dark and the toilet room is very small.
Overall... I am glad I used a site to book my room, did not pay a rediculous amount and only stayed one night, otherwise I would have been a little upset! We enjoyed the Luau very much! A definite must do! Even for the money, it is and was well spent.
Oh.., and poolside service, lady was fantastic, however, one Virgin drink, Mai Tai, fries and wings was $45!!!! Ya! Eat in your room. Check out the shopping centre above the resort. Great place.
Oh... And be sure to save some money ( cause it is NOT expensive ) for the craft fair on S. Kihei Rd. it has masks for $10! Just a side note:).

• Stayed January 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Had to stay a few extra nights and couldn't have been happier. We really enjoy the staff here. The beds are awesome, very comfortable rooms. The grounds at Wailea are kept clean and very well groomed. Happy to be a guest at such an awesome place!

• Stayed January 2014
Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Looking back, I had read many reviews that critiqued this property and like usual I laugh at how picky some people can be, but I should have listened. My wife and I decided to spend a large portion of our trip in Maui (which was a gorgeous), but after our stay wish we would have chosen one of the other resorts in the area. I travel a lot for work and had built up points to use for our stay at this Marriott property (category 7), so it took roughly 210,000 points for our stay - not a small amount by any means. We arrived at the property later in the evening due to some flight issues, but after a long day of travel we were anxious to get to our room to unwind a bit before dinner. As we arrived we clearly saw they were short handed at the bell desk as there was complete confusion. My wife decided to stay with our bags, while I checked us in. Having informed Marriott multiple times prior to my trip that this was our honeymoon, I expected to be greeted with some benefit/upgrade, etc. We got this at every other hotel/resort we stayed at on our 2 week trip without any loyalty to their brand. That did not happen, in fact when I asked about an upgrade (which Platinum members usually get very easily), it was immediately turned down with zero availability. We had reserved a ocean view room, so I wasn't that concerned at this point. As we waited for the bell man to take our bags to our room (they wouldn't allow us to just take them), this entire process took roughly 1 hour, we became impatient. We were taken to our room by a very friendly gentleman who got our spirits back up and laughing which we greatly appreciated at this point. The happiness quickly faded when we showed up to our room and saw a "do not disturb" sign on the door. I informed the bell man I wasn't going to be opening the door because the lights were on and clearly someone was in the room - so for the next 20 minutes we stood waiting for the bell man to get a manager to check the system and call the room. After these 20 minutes (which the bell man was now getting impatient with management), they told us to go in that nobody was in the room. Surprise, surprise! Someone was in the room and their luggage was in clear view as soon as we opened the door! How could this happen? I immediately asked to speak with a manager, and my patience had wore thin. Not only was this taking forever, but now we were going to be put in a room that was not even confirmed to have been cleaned after the staff insisted that these customers had switched rooms. Totally turned us off to the property in the first 1.5 hours. So immediately the manager upgraded us to a room overlooking to adult pool - wait, I thought there were no upgrades available? It took us walking into another couples room for us to get this offer - not top notch service for the highest level of loyalty you have for your brand. We were then also given a $50 voucher for breakfast, so we gave that a shot ordering only the standard breakfast - which only accounted for 3/4 of the bill. So at this point we decided we weren't going to let all of this get in the way of our fun and experiences on the island. We were extremely happy we had a rental car to explore the island, because we made it a point to leave the property everyday except for our last. The hotel itself is in a great location, not as busy as the western side of the island and has one of our favorite beaches (big beach) within a 5-10 minute drive. The views are great, the pools are nice, but the service was not what we expected at all for such a high category hotel/resort. Common areas and pool bar was nice. I hate giving bad reviews because this is truly a first for us, but I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone being that there are other beautiful properties in the same location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!