“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Seattle, Washington
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel was on our tour of 4 different Maui hotels, scouting for locations for a business meeting. This one won hands-down for best location on Maui because of proximity to beach, walking distance to the Shops at Wailea, and easy drive to/from the airport. The guest rooms are divided into several different Hanas, and ours did not have an elevator, so we had to lug baggage up and down stairs. Keep this in mind if you have a lot of luggage and/or kids, and you don't want to have to ask for help from the bell desk. Great meal and service at the restaurant Mala for both dinner and breakfast. We found the adults-only pool a little snobby for out taste, truth be told. Had to listen to other couples talking/complaining rather loudly the entire time, so it wasn't very relaxing. Better to go find a spot on the beach! Meeting spaces are great. Would recommend for a family vacation, though a bit pricey for the overall experience. See my review of the Makena Beach Golf Resort if you want more for the same price! Still a nice place to stay, though other than location it was not our very favorite.

Room Tip: Rooms in hana closest to beach are furthest from the lobby, but we enjoyed the roar of the ocean all...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights this October. The location and grounds of this hotel are spectacular. The views out to the ocean are beautiful and you get a real "resort" feeling the moment you step into the hotel. We stayed in the tower on the 6th floor and we had distant ocean views from the balcony. When we checked in my husband and I were told that they only had a room with two queens instead of one king. Since we were there for our wedding anniversary we weren't happy with this. She then gave us the option of another room with a king with not quite such a good view. We booked and paid for a premium ocean view so not sure if what we were given was what we paid for. The person who checked us in did not seem very willing to make us feel welcome but just did what she had to. She was polite. Nevertheless the room was clean and seemed to have been updated in the not too distant past. The beds in this hotel are definitely an issue. I had read this on previous reviews and had thought " how bad can they be?". They are really bad believe me. I can sleep anywhere and in fact at home sleep on a water bed which is soft of course. The beds at marriott are so soft and lumpy you just sink in a bad position. My husband and I are both going home with bad backs. This hotel is really close to the shops at wailea where they have fantastic shopping and eating. We had most of out dinners there. There is also an ABC shop there where you can buy everyday necessities. This hotel could be really spectacular as they have such great grounds and location but their lack of attention to detail and failure to provide guests with with any extra care than what is basically required makes it just ok.

• Stayed October 2013
Magnolia, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Ask for an Ocean View Room...otherwise rooms are okay. Higher up also better...and near the pools. Large spread out property, gorgeous landscaping. A short walk and you can swim in the ocean. Food was pretty good... Great staff! The only negative was I had just turned off my lights to my room and about 30 minutes later there was a knock on my door for an amenity delivery. This was at 10:30 at night. Thought that was a little late to be making deliveries. Lighting in the bath/dressing area could be a little better.

Room Tip: Higher Up... Ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This was our second stay here & the grounds are just beautiful! Your right on the ocean, every morning & night you have the most fantastic sunrise-sunsets you could possibly imagine! The hotel was updated maybe 7 years ago, the rooms are nice but they could use a little freshening up. Staff here is very accommodating! Shopping is within walking distance with wonderful restaurants like Tommy Bahama's & Ruth Chris. We only had breakfast at the hotel & it's nothing special. It's BREAKFAST & you can't mess that up too much! All in all we love this place & will be back!

Room Tip: Make sure when you check in if you booked (through an outside agency) an ocean view make sure you ge...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights before a company event on Oahu. We absolutely loved it. We were upgraded to a sea view room over looking the infinity pool. The room was spacious with a comfortable big bed, sofa & table and balcony. The hotel was superb value even after adding the rsaort fees, although I didn't have to pay the wifi fee, and would have avoided that using the free access in public areas instead. It is in an ideal location for the Shops at Wailea and lots of restaurants in the shops, at the Gateway and all the surrounding hotels, plus the on-site Starbucks and shops. The infinity pool was very tranquil, but they need a few more umbrellas as you have to claim a spot before 8am. We loved the sea front walk an especially the turtles that came near the shore just after high tide. If i am lucky enough to go back to Maui this would be my first choice.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Would go back to this property every year. Plenty of shopping and restaurants close by and easy access to highways to the rest of the island. The adult pool was very nice and the area quite. Found the food there was not the best so we opted for restaurants off site. The huge tree lined drive is gorgeous coming into the check in area. The property is well maintained. There is a walkway on the ocean connecting the Marriott to the Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, and Fairmont hotels. Beautiful walk!

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My son almost drowned at the Wailea Marriott due to an employee's negligence. So my advice to you is be careful at the kiddie pool area and especially watch out for the slides. One of them has a nine foot plunge pool that we were not warned about. My son went down the slide and got scared because he felt like he was being sucked under. The Marriott employee on duty just stood there sort of reaching his hand instead of jumping in to save my son. We heard my son screaming, ran over there with another employee who also heard the screams and he jumped in to save our son. We filed a claim and had to take a recorded statement and now no one will get back to us as to what the final verdict is. My husband has left three messages and we still have not received a call back. All we ever received for this incident was a basket from management with some cookies. I think my son's life is worth a heck of a lot more than that. I think we are entitled to a free stay at the very least. I will forever have the picture in my head of the employee just standing there looking around and sort of reaching for my son while he was desperately trying not to drown.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!