“Beautiful Hotel, Great Location, Inconsistent Service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful Hotel, Great Location, Inconsistent Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the property for 6 nights from August 6 to August 12. The Hotel is located in the beautiful and luxurious side of the island (Wailea). It is situated between Grand Wailea Hotel and Andaz, Four Seasons hotel is within a walking distance beside the Grand Wailea Hotel.

Upon arriving, you are offered a complimentary valet parking for 1 day.

We only booked the regular room for $247/night and because we were Elite members, we were upgraded to Partial Ocean View which was nice and free wifi. 2 choices of room were given to us, the 6th floor room which is in a building beside the parking lot or 2nd floor room beside the infinity (adult only) pool. We chose the one near the pool. If any future guest was given this option, always pick the one near the pool. To our surprise, it was not a 2nd floor room, our balcony is basically the 1st floor, with this, we can get to/from the pool from our sliding door. We had an unobstructed view of the ocean and the breeze.

The room featured a king bed, flatscreen tv, directv channels, sofa, coffee table, a solo seat, safe, iron, and ironing board. No carpets here, all tiles, we noticed that the tiles on the bathroom side was very waxy. We had to use the towels to somewhat wipe it off. The showerhead was showing it's age but still clean nonetheless.

The bed was too soft per my wife but was fine by me. All pillows are on the soft side so you'll need 2 of them to be comfortable.

Breakfast and Dinner are only served at the Mala restaurant which we did not eat at. Lunch is only served at the Kumu bar and grill which is located at the kiddie pool. We had lunch the day we arrived, pretty good food and drinks are awesomely delicious.

This hotel would've been perfect however as much as you'd like for it to be perfect, sometimes it really won't happen.

1st issue, on our way back to the room, the housekeeper was there cleaning our room, when we told her we're just going to get something, she "scolded" us for using the sunblock spray on the bathroom saying that we may fall or accidentally hurt ourselves. The way she told us was a little disturbing but we just let it go.

2nd issue, on our 3rd or 4th day, we woke up to a half dying cockroach which was still moving in the bathroom, we covered it with a towel and informed the front that there's a cockroach in the room and that we will leave the room by 9am so they can clean it. They offered to "spray" the room which we did. We did not raise hell, we just nicely informed them. No worries, I used to live in the Philippines and cockroaches were pretty normal to me.

3rd issue, on our last night, while shaving before dinner, another cockroach few past me and landed on the bathroom/shower door handle, I obviously killed it immediately. I don't know where it came from, probably behind the mirror. My wife now tried to talk to the front, I feel that the front desk girl wanted to do something immediately, she kept hanging up on my wife. This happened 3 times, she hanged up while my wife was going to tell her something. We asked for the manager and he was not available at the time so she told us the manager will give us a call. We were going out to dinner so We gave them my cellphone # to call. The first call to the front desk was approx 6:30-6:40pm, the manager called us around 7:45pm, an hour after our first call. He was apologetic and offered to comp dinner at Mala however we informed him that we are already out for dinner, he offered Breakfast for the next day however we're already going to check out and needed to be at the airport by 9am, so we declined the comp'd breakfast too, he offered to place a $50 credit on the room, we just said yes. Now let's see, the room is $247/night, daily resort fee is $30, and daily tax is $37. The manager offered me $50 which is less than 3% of the total bill? Seriously.

4th Issue. On our last day as well (11th), we decided to rent the $35 day bed at the infinity pool, service was great! Our server was very helpful, ordered pina colada, burger and fries. She came to fill out water fast! I mean, great service. We told her we'll be back by the afternoon as we have a spa reservation at Maui Zen Day Spa at 2pm. We got back to the bed by 4:30, lounged around to watch the sunset, this time we didn't order anything as we're saving our appetite for dinner. We finally asked her for some water at around 6ish, she said she'll get it, we're pretty thirsty by then, 5 minutes, no water, 10 minutes, still no water, 15 minutes, still no water. She already acknowledged twice by this time she didn't forget about us. I go into the pool to cool off, I see her walking around the pool getting last calls, getting bills, 25 minutes later still no water. I said, F this, i'm going to the room and get myself the damn water bottle. I got a cold one from the fridge and just drank from there. I placed the bottle on our day bed table on the pool and guess who decides to show up with 2 water? 2 water for 30 minutes? Did she became the opposite because we didn't order anything? Is it a prerequisite to order something to get a good service? At this type of hotel you shouldn't be asking to get good service.

Like I said, the hotel is in a great location, it's quiet and peaceful, service however is inconsistent.

We will be writing a letter to corporate regarding this matter. Next time we'll be in Maui, I might give Marriott another chance however I might just go with Four Seasons or Grand Wailea

Room Tip: Get the room where the infinity pool is located. 2nd floor so you can get in/out of the room thru t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is tucked between a mall and the beach, next to some very grand hotels (like the Grand Wailea and the Fairmont). Sprawling with 3 major pool areas--two very kid friendly and one adults only. Walkway on the shore let's you walk Wailea (or run, jog, etc) very comfortably. Beautiful views IF you get the right room. That's the key. The hotel plays games with how it labels the rooms and you can easily overpay for an ocean view that is marginal at best. So always always ask careful questions when they book you--don't go with the labels. Best thing to do is use this as your base and then go next door to the Grand Wailea for the Spa experience--nothing better than that place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Riverside, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had an ocean view room. The room was updated, with modern style furnishings. The floors were tiled, (which is very important in an ocean front humid setting, carpet always feels damp, hold dirt and makes the room musty). The lobby is open aired, beyond large and impressive. The resort is large and there is quite a bit of walking, not real stroller friendly because of the numerous stairs and difficulty finding the elevators, but no hesitation in recommending the hotel. It is close to the shops at Wailea. Pool get crazy busy at times.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here with my family and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort has everything you might need. A fantastic location leading straight down to two great beaches.

A couple of on-sight bars and restaurants provide ease of access and very good happy hour options. There are three pools I think and all are very well presented. The grounds are beautiful and classy. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable as well. Plus the resort is situated directly next to a mall which has further eating/drinking options that are more than acceptable.

I would highly recommend this resort. If I were to return to Maui I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Has to be the best place on earth. Stunning views. Wonderful service. If you didn't need to visit other parts of the island, you could spend and entire trip just on the grounds. Ocean front rooms on the east side of the property have a great view of the Luau. Keep in mind that it is after dark and can be loud. Still, worth a look the first night or two.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an ocean view room. Always see if an upgrade to ocean front is available. Also the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at this property for two nights at the end of July. I was a little concerned about the some of the reviews that indicated that the rooms were antiquated. That was not experience. we stayed in The Haleakala Hale building (just to the right of the registration desk). With the exception of an umcomfortable sofa, the room was modern, clean and spacious.

The staff was super friendly and accomodating. The atmosphere was geared to the slightly higher end crowd (less little children). We found the cost to be on the high side considering there was no beach. However, it was cheaper than the Fairmont and Four Seasons (both had beaches).

The infinity pool area was very nice, the waitresses were very attentive and informative. there were a few teenagers there, but they were well behaved. I was concerned about too many little kids, but we saw very few and we stayed away from the kiddie pool area.

If you are seeking a great property for a romantic getaway, with a great view, this property should be on your list.

Room Tip: Read the room reviews carefully. I am sure that some of the buildings may be in need of a facelift...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

It's 3 in the morning and I can't sleep because the bed is squeaky and I can feel the hole in the mattress. I stay at 4-5 stars hotels all the time and I know what the standards are. I reserved 5 nights after reading the reviews. Am I in the same hotel these people stayed in? This is not pure paradise like they say but more like hell on earth. I should have known when I waited over 2 hours for my room. They were supposed to call me when it was ready....of course they did not. Had I not checked at the front desk, I would still be waiting. This place is similar to an old appartment complex from the 70's. The pictures they put on line are very deceiving. They know where to stand to get those shots. Hallways are dingy, carpet is cheap, dirty and wrinkled. Rooms are NOT 4 stars. Old tub with shower in tiny bathtoom. Ceiling has cracks. Shower has a cheap curtain and mildew. Toilet bowl leaking - they never came to fix it. Worn out towels that are grey and not white. Screen door is shaky and screechy. No plugs to charge phones. We were put in an "ocean view" room with a view of the roof and a/c units. We were moved on the side of the complex after much negociation. Pools are crowded with cheap lounge chairs. NOT on the beach. You have to go right or left of the complex.This is by NO means up to Martiott's standards. This is a nightmare. I am checking out of this dump. My wife cried when she saw the room.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!