“BEWARE! Oceanfront means nothing!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
California
“BEWARE! Oceanfront means nothing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This is our family's 3rd stay in the last 14 months at this hotel. This review is based on our current stay.
For everyone who says that being a Marriott Elite member gets you perks, think again! We are Platinum Elite (the highest rating) we reserved an oceanfront room this time after staying in Deluxe Oceanfront the other 2 times. Our current room is NOT oceanfront by any definition of terms! We were placed on the main tower which all rooms on our side face away from the rest of the property. We're overlooking a small parking lot and the delivery bay for trucks below our room. We get to hear the loud beeping of trucks backing up all day, with a side view of the ocean of in the distance. Some treatment of their loyal members huh? Not even just Marriott loyalty but loyalty to this particular resort. Needles to say I'm quite disappointed and will be reevaluating my loyalty to Marriott. We did not receive what we paid for at all!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Atlanta, Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

So I have been travelling to Hawaii for the last 12 years - usually go at least once a year and try to stay at least 10 if not 16 days. I do not always make it by Maui - but when I do I always stay at this property and I have seen it evolve over the years (use to play in the grass that is now the infinity pool). I am also a lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier member who spends about 200 nights a year in a hotel somewhere (hence how I can afford to spend so much time in Hawaii) - so I have a better feel than most what kind of service you should expect from a hotel.

One of the great things that I have always enjoyed about this hotel was that I could sit out on the grass in a lounge chair and watch the whales and the ocean in a peaceful environment. In the past there were always a set of lounge chairs randomly set up around the property to allow for this. It was always first-come first serve and was usually not a problem to find at least one chair. On my last visit I noticed that the basic lounge chairs had be replaced with much nicer "cabana" style chairs and they were now by reservation only. I inquired about this and was told that now I had to pay $80 a day (only $70 if you have the resort card that you are required to buy to stay at the hotel - so not sure who is expected to pay $80). Now I know that I am not paying for my room (on points but the hotel is reimbursed by corporate) and the hotel is the #1 destination for PP members - but now to do what I use to do for free - I have to spend $70 a day (even if I just want to do it for an hour). If I was a full paying customer - I would be even more annoyed that I paid $300+ a day for a room, $25 a day for being at the resort, and now $70 a day to use the chairs. BTW - during my week at the resort I only noticed one couple using the chairs. The point of this is I should have the option of using the basic chairs for free or "living large" by using the cabana chairs. I not a cheap person by any means but I also don't like being "nickle and dimed" every time I turn around.

So now I have said my piece on the thing that annoyed me about their recent changes. The thing that has not changed is everything else that matters - the property was great, the room was great, everybody was extremely friendly and went out of their way to make our trip great. I should also note that the cleaning staff must have had my room on a watch list because no matter how short our initial time was away from the room in the morning - they managed to get in there and clean it without us ever coming back with them in the room. This is even more impressive when you consider we were all over the place on when you left our room.

For those that don't know - this hotel does not have a beach but there are two on either side that you can use (just doesn't have any service nor any chairs for Marriott guests). The hotel has multiple pools with the usual problem of people "reserving" their chairs first thing in the morning and then barely using them (never been to a hotel this was not an issue). One of the pools does not allow children in the area to keep things more peaceful but there is a much more kids friendly pool that they go to anyways. The property also has a lot of green space to wonder around along with some great areas to snorkel and generally play around in. While this might seem a odd combination but the hotel seems to do great with both couples and families without either bothering the other. This resort does not have the over-the-top kiddie pools that some other hotels offer but what they do offer is great for the kids (we use to travel here with our son as early as 6 years old).

The hotel is right beside a high-end shopping center that is an easy walk to and it has a decent area of shops to visit. There is also Kihei just down the road where you will find a lot of great places to eat and shop.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms on the first floor by the walk paths. These rooms seem to have no privacy and...
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Came to Maui to celebrate 50th b-day...eight days at this location and two days at Ritz Carlton. This hotel will not disappoint, especially if you are Marriott Reward Members. The rooms are spacious with great views, staff is friendly and conveniently located...walking distance to Wailea shops and many restaurants. Try not to eat at Mala too often or you could definitely blow the budget. Walk over the Cheeseburger Restaurant for breakfast special of $5.99 or Longhis. The beach location is wonderful...Wailea has the most beautiful beaches.

New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Facility is old but updated and very well kept. Fantastic service and friendly staff. Lobby and common areas are wonderfully open air. It is worth noting that self parking is very close and convenient. Very comfortable rooms, with balcony with seating for two. Rooms are also all tile, which is nice for cleanliness but be careful when you come in wet. The impression I got from other reviews and photos before we went was that the resort sits on a hill , far from the beach but this is not the case. There is a beautiful footpath that goes between the hotel buildings and is right on the water. It is short stroll to a beautiful beach and the views across the water are stunning at sunset. Pools are very nice, and kids pool is fantastic with three slides. Spent many an hour there (not by adults'choice) but can keep the kids busy for quite some time. Laundry facilities is a major advantage esp with kids. Walking distance to Shops at Wailea, short drive to Kihei. Business center and gym are both simple but convenient, and Starbucks on site is a major plus for jet lagged travelers, again, esp with kids!!! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the kids pool if you know you are going to be using it. Luau grounds are by Hal...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My family just returned home from our second stay at this hotel. We requested and were given the same room as our first trip 4 years ago because we loved it so much. There are beaches to both sides of the property which are great for swimming and snorkeling. Immediately in front of the property is a lava formation which my son loved climbing and exploring. This also attracts sea turtles which we looked at in the evening before the sun set.
We used Marriott points to stay here both times but would have chosen it any way.
We did not eat at the main restaurant but did have a couple of things from the pool area which were typical hotel food. There are many wonderful restaurants within walking distance. We also drove (and walked) to Kihei for restaurants with a large variety of styles and prices.
This trip we did a load of laundry while there which was convenient and only cost us $7 total for wash and dry. We also took advantage of the hospitality room on the last day so the kids could hang out at the pool after check out.

Room Tip: We liked room 2201 because it is private and you can walk straight out to head down to the water and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We decided to start our trip with a bit of luxury for 3 nights (too many) with this hotel in Wailea on the south coast.
Nothing to criticize if you want to be a lost in acrowd of turists....except the price
!
The serenity pool is luxurious, The best mai tai I had was at the pool bar. The room comfortable and boring had a view on the pool and the sea. Sand beaches near by.
There is a mall within a walking distance and a string of luxury hotels all along the coast.
We even indulged in the hotel turist Luau which was surprinsingly good and entertaining ..I got really upset when on top of the $380 room and th $30 daily "resort fee"' they charged $15 a day for wifi ! That is a deal breaker for me even though there is a starbucks on the premises . Question of principle
The weather is not as good as in the west coast, so retrospectively, it would have been better to sunbask in Laihena .

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view but there is of course a surcharge.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Being an east-coaster used to Carribean hotels, the Wailea Marriott was a breath of fresh air - excellent service, clean and up-to-date rooms, terrific (and quiet!) infinity pool, and great location close to shops. Note that the beach is a short walk away, but I consider this a plus given how quiet it is by the hotel pool. Breakfast was excellent, lunch items less so. There are some less desirable rooms, but several couples I knew requested changes and the hotel was happy to oblige. Having dined at the Four Seasons, I can certainly see what makes that a "superior" hotel, but not at three times the price. If I'm lucky enough to return to Wailea, I'll stay at the Marriott again - terrific value (except the spa - save your $$).

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter and farther away from the children's pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!