“Stayed for 2 hours and went to Four Seasons ” 1 of 5 stars

Summer Sale - 15% off
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Stayed for 2 hours and went to Four Seasons ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

Maui was our last stop on our 2 week honeymoon. After staying the Halekulani in Oahu, one can understand why our expectations were high. I will warn readers that I stay at some great hotels in the US that set my standards - Pennisula, Four Seasons and Ritz. If you are used to second tier hotels, this property will probably be great for you. If you are used to staying at the top hotels, you will be very upset what you get for the price.

The minute we walked into this hotel, I had a horrible feeling about it. It is set up poorly and the staff is lethargic, bordering on pathetic. At the front desk, the gentleman was extremely rude when checking in. Another note, I am from New York and I do not mind rudeness very much. However, this guy was really a jerk. We waited for 2 hours for the room, after being told that there were no upgrades available - without even checking. Had a medicore lunch at the pool restaurant with weak service. While there, we noticed maybe one server walking around the pool.

We booked a full ocean view room for a hefty rate and told them that this was a honeymoon trip. Once we got our room, we realized that the view was once of an ocean...45 degree BUT it overlooked a construction zone - dirt mounds and all. It was the weakest room that I have ever been put in for that kind of money. We called the Four Seasons and booked a room there. This is probably the worst part of the story...when I went down to inform them that we would be checking out, the guy ONLY said, "OK, we hold a two night deposit and we will send a bellman up to your room in five minutes." That is it! Not a question about what was wrong or if they could do something. NOTHING, just see ya.

Upon our arrival to the Seasons, they immediately upgraded our room to an ocean front, huge room and sent champagne later in the evening. The scary thing is that price was the exact same! The property is utterly beautiful and food is great. You never need to leave the grounds.

The Fairmont, however, could be fine for a large family. All the rooms are suites and they have a large water slide etc. At teh same time, if you can afford it, the Four Seasons has an amazing rec room for kids complete with a video game room.

I spent only two hours at the Fairmont and knew it was not for us. I would not recommend it to anyone, not will I ever stay at a Fairmont in the future.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

2,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Korean first
Bradenton, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

We had our daughter's wedding here on the Polo Lawn. We were suppose to have it at the gazebo, but the film festival was having a cocktail party near there and we were worried about the noise, so the hotel was nice enough to move us to the lawn. I am glad they did because it was beautiful there looking out on the water. They were very helpful with phone calls through the months and never got tired of my questions! The pictures on the grounds turned out beautiful.

Stayed June 2007
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

This is my first visit to Maui, and I initially had reservations to stay at a place in Lahaina, where I thought all of the action was supposed to be (at least that's what I read in the guidebooks). My first day here I couldn't get through to Lahaina because of a brush fire that closed the highway - I hear that's not too uncommon (maybe once a year of so). At any rate, I ended up jumping hotels, from the Diamond resort to the Maui Prince and finally, the Fairmont.

Of all the places I stayed, the Fairmont was by far the locale that made me feel most pampered, which was exactly what I needed for this trip. I'm not much of a shopper, so the shops themselves weren't a big deal, but I love to eat, and I am picky about accommodations (especially a sucker for nice pools and pristine bathrooms).

The Fairmont delivered in every way - the Prince was nice, but I wasn't wild about the outdated bathrooms (think old tiles and wooden cabinets) or the pool, which was small. The Diamond resort was really nice as well (I liked it more than the Prince), but very isolated (the Japanese restaurant was barren when I was there). Their pool was also small.

It's been awhile since I've been on vacation, so I was a bit shocked at the prices for all accommodations, but when I finally let my desire for a truly nice place win out, I chose the Fairmont and am so happy I did.

• Liked — Bathrooms and pool
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mooresville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Our stay at this resort was one I will remember for a long time to come. Our room was absolutely unbelievable. I don't understand the negative reviews about the dated furniture. You're in Maui -- chill out and just get over yourself.

As with the review before mine, my husband also earned this trip to Maui through an incentive program at work. We are already planning our next stay at the Kea Lani. (He doesn't know it, but I'm thinking next year!!) The staff was very helpful and accomodated us with whatever we needed. We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Nick's -- you have to try the strawberry flambe dessert -- it was beyond words.

We golfed at both Makena South and Wailea Emerald. Both were challenging courses and well maintained. Wailea did have better views, but Makena's #15 was breathtaking.

The Fairmont Kea Lani was without a doubt - first class. The grounds were immaculate. The pools were exceptional. The drinks were great. What more can I say? You WILL enjoy your time here. Aloha!

• Liked — Spacious rooms and great bathroom
  • Disliked — I didn't dislike anything!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I booked the Fairmont for my wife and I to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I must say this was the best trip we have ever had together! The Fairmont is absolutely beautiful, the staff was friendly, the food was excellent, and the pools are exquisite. If we return to Maui, we will definitely be booking the Fairmont again. It also helps that Maui is beautiful and we had perfect weather the entire week we were there. If there are any negatives, it would only be the expense of staying at this property. Nick's is very good, but pricey. The food that you can order by the pool is also quite expensive. One great option if you are trying to manage your food budget is to eat breakfast and lunch at Cafe Ciao Deli - while still expensive not nearly as much as the main restaurant. The Cafe is right by the adult pool so it is easy to walk to the Deli and get your own food and drinks.
Overall, I think the Fairmont is a good value for the money - after all, you expect your vacation to be expensive if you choose a 5 star property!

• Liked — The rooms are awesome
  • Disliked — The food prices
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Fairmont Kea Lani is a beautiful resort in Wailea. Service is outstanding! Quiet rooms and beautiful surroundings. All rooms are suites with a huge bathroom and small refrigerator/microwave bar area. Pool area is fabulous and beach area is good for snorkeling too. Self parking is free. I would highly recommend this resort. Check out the hotel website for specials. Our plane did not leave until late at night and they have complimentary hospitality rooms for you to shower and clean-up. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Pool area and room size
  • Disliked — Nothing- it was all wonderful
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Like the previous reviewer, I was recently at the Kea Lani due to an incentive that I earned through work. My wife and I were there from June 17-22, and we had a great time! In all honesty, this review is tempered with the fact that we did not pay for this trip, which may have made me less picky??? We stayed on the 3rd floor in an oceanview room, and it was "updated" and huge. My wife said that she woke up every morning, walked out on the huge lanai, and said "another day in paradise". We were treated very well by a knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Let's face it - the place is beautiful, but it should be for $600+ a night! Be prepared for EVERYTHING to be expensive... $19 hamburgers at the grille by the pool (not including cheese?).

We ate banquet style with our group at each meal, and the food was excellant. We did not eat at Nick's, but chose Mama's Fish House on the North Shore for our "expensive" meal ($100 lunch for 2 w/ no drinks). The scenery at Mama's just can't be beat and the food was great!

To sum it up, if you can afford it, it is a gorgeous place. But if were my tab, I would never pay this much. At $600+ per night, it makes my Marriott timeshare look like an even better deal!

Another FYI - If you are going to stay here, join the "President's Club" at the "Fairmont.com" website. It costs nothing, and you get a free daily paper, hi speed internet, and discounts in the Fairmont store.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!